RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

because everything ive heard is that he isnt very good defensively and doesnt have enough arm strength to play short or third and that he's out of shape.  seems like second would be a better position.

I have not heard anything specific to his defense, whether its range, hands, arm, instincts, whatever.

The physique is a little more apparent, and regardless of where he plays, you'd like to see him get it under control.

18 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I have not heard anything specific to his defense, whether its range, hands, arm, instincts, whatever.

The physique is a little more apparent, and regardless of where he plays, you'd like to see him get it under control.

some have said he's going to end up at first base because of his physique.

i know people bring up his age, but its generally harder to lose that weight as you get older.  if he's fat and out of shape now, what happens if he goes full cabrera?

that said, we dont really know what's going on behind the scenes.  we just see the stats.  he's done pretty well at the plate at a really young age, that's definitely encouraging.

and he's been better than any other prospect avila has been able to acquire, so thats something.

Isaac Paredes is still very young .. will turn 21 years old in ~5 months.  He is listed at 5'11" & 225 lbs. 

Not sure what the Tiger organization is thinking ..but with that kind of physique at 21 years old ..highly doubt he plays an acceptable shortstop at the MLB level ..especially for a team expected to contend before he hits FA approximately 7 years after he breaks in at the MLB level.

6 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Let's remember how miraculous and quick the 2006 turnaround was in relation to 2003.  

Before 2003, the Tigers had 12 losing seasons out of the previous 14.  

32 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Isaac Paredes is still very young .. will turn 21 years old in ~5 months.  He is listed at 5'11" & 225 lbs. 

Not sure what the Tiger organization is thinking ..but with that kind of physique at 21 years old ..highly doubt he plays an acceptable shortstop at the MLB level ..especially for a team expected to contend before he hits FA approximately 7 years after he breaks in at the MLB level.

I would assume the team thinking is that he just overweight as opposed to having an honestly stocky build that could properly support that weight, thus if his weight were closer to what they think it should be his physique would then not be an issue playing short. 

For a team that supposedly pays attention to player make up before they go after them how do we end up with two guys who are not driven enough as professional athletes to stop over stuffing their pie-holes? Our second best hitting prospect and our biggest major league contract both.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Paredes went 1-2 with a HR and 2 HBP.

2 HBP?!? The kid must be turning into Mr Creosote!

3 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Paredes went 1-2 with a HR and 2 HBP.

Azocar 1-3 with a 2B and a BB.

Azocar BB??????????????

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would assume the team thinking is that he just overweight as opposed to having an honestly stocky build that could properly support that weight, thus if his weight were closer to what they think it should be his physique would then not be an issue playing short. 

For a team that supposedly pays attention to player make up before they go after them how do we end up with two guys who are not driven enough as professional athletes to stop over stuffing their pie-holes? Our second best hitting prospect and our biggest major league contract both.

That's just a dumb comment that completely ignores genetics. Not every 21 year old who is overweight got that way by "stuffing their pie hole" and I'm pretty sure you know this. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

That's just a dumb comment that completely ignores genetics. Not every 21 year old who is overweight got that way by "stuffing their pie hole" and I'm pretty sure you know this. 

But that is a also a cop-out. It really doesn't matter what his genetics are, Everything about being a pro athlete is a fight against your own physiology. His genes are probably telling him to go be an accountant. if he's going to maximize his MLB potential they say he needs to lose weight, and eating fewer calories is what will make that happen - also regardless of his genetics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But that is a also a cop-out. It really doesn't matter what his genetics are, Everything about being a pro athlete is a fight against your own physiology. His genes are probably telling him to go be an accountant. if he's going to maximize his MLB potential they say he needs to lose weight, and eating fewer calories is what will make that happen - also regardless of his genetics.

Of course. Eating less is a simple solution for everyone. That doesn't mean someone who has trouble with wight simply "can't stop stuffing their pie hole". Some people just don't burn calories as fast as others. 

None of us knows what...if any...issues Parades has with weight.  We only know the Tigers want him to be smaller.  5-11, 225lb sounds like a chubster...but there's 20 year old  LB's that size on college football fields across America.  Are they fat?

Miggy is a big fat jiggly mess. He's exacerbating a knee condition because he mainlines hot fudge sundaes.

They're obviously giving these kids too much meal money. They need to give them one of those cards where you can limit what you can buy with it. No chips, no beer. No pie.

Dude needs to get out of Erie. Can you even get a good meal in Erie? I guess they have a Chipotle now.

5 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Paredes 2-4 with a 2B and BB.

Hill 1-4 with a 2B.

glad to hear he was able to keep his girth out of the strike zone and not get hit today!

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

They're obviously giving these kids too much meal money. They need to give them one of those cards where you can limit what you can buy with it. No chips, no beer. No pie.

Dude needs to get out of Erie. Can you even get a good meal in Erie? I guess they have a Chipotle now.

If he smoked Camels like a real ball player he'd drop that 20 lbs. Nothing like carboxylating your hemoglobin for melting away that avoirdupois!

image.thumb.png.4c6ac9e3845e74889d7ba2e64b0ba2ff.png

• Haha 1

The Tigers can't *make* anyone eat right or not snack relentlessly.  ****, they can't really make someone efficiently work out even if a work out is mandated.

When you spend your life eating a certain way, it isn't easy to change those habits even if you know you need to do it for your career and/or general health.  If it were easy, we wouldn't have as many overweight people in this country as we do.

I agree he should take active steps to improve his health.  Just adding the observation is it isn't as easy as 'do this' or 'don't do that'.  He has to commit to a significant lifestyle change and that isn't easy.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Tigers can't *make* anyone eat right or not snack relentlessly.  ****, they can't really meone efficiently work out even if a work out is mandated.

that's what public ridicule and humiliation are for.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If he smoked Camels like a real ball player he'd drop that 20 lbs. Nothing like carboxylating your hemoglobin for melting away that avoirdupois!

image.thumb.png.4c6ac9e3845e74889d7ba2e64b0ba2ff.png

I love this!

I used this exact picture in my Hall of Famous presentation at SABR a few years ago, premise being that we need establish a place for guys who are less than Hall of Fame great, but who did something so famous people think they should be in the Hall, even though when we examine their record, we can see that they shouldn’t be. Maris is one of those guys. Jack Morris was another.

I seem to remember my introduction to this slide being something along the lines of, "Next on our induction list is Roger Maris, seen here training Mad Men style for, I assume, the upcoming season since that looks like Florida grass in the background."

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

glad to hear he was able to keep his girth out of the strike zone and not get hit today!

You're trolling at this point. 

23 hours ago, Yoda said:

Of course. Eating less is a simple solution for everyone. That doesn't mean someone who has trouble with wight simply "can't stop stuffing their pie hole". Some people just don't burn calories as fast as others. 

True though this may be, you and I both know it's not incumbent upon big league teams to make concessions to a player's pear-shaped body type and allow him an easier path to The Show. If a player's body type is an impediment to maximizing his success as a player, then it's up to the player to make whatever changes he needs to in order to fix it, regardless of his innate physiology. And, if it's true that his body type won't allow him to make that improvement, then maybe he should quit baseball and get a job where stuffing his pie hole is not an impediment. :grin:  

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

True though this may be, you and I both know it's not incumbent upon big league teams to make concessions to a player's pear-shaped body type and allow him an easier path to The Show. If a player's body type is an impediment to maximizing his success as a player, then it's up to the player to make whatever changes he needs to in order to fix it, regardless of his innate physiology. And, if it's true that his body type won't allow him to make that improvement, then maybe he should quit baseball and get a job where stuffing his pie hole is not an impediment. :grin:  

Who is saying otherwise? 

No one is. I'm making the distinction between shaming someone for their physiology, the idea which I believe you were pushing back on, and the responsibility of someone tasked with that physiology to combat that very physiology to attain the highest level of an athletic endeavor.

I agree with you we shouldn't shame anyone simply because they were born with that physiology, and I was assuming you agree with me that someone born with that physiology nevertheless needs to overcome it if they want to achieve the highest level in a field that generally punishes it.