RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

33 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I suspect there won't be much movement among the position players.

DH - Cabrera.  Easy enough, as long as he is healthy.

C - Greiner, Hicks.   I don't believe that Greiner has turned a corner with his bat, but I would guess that his overall game is preferable as a starter over Hicks.  Rogers is simply overmatched right now.

IF - Candelario, CastroH, Lugo, CastroW, Goodrum.  I think its possible that CastroW might start out in Toledo if he looks rough in spring.  Otherwise that's the starting infield going around the horn and I think its highly likely that playing time is spread around pretty evenly.  I'd bet its Candelario's last chance, but there isn't much in the minors to push him, so who knows.

OF - Stewart, Reyes, Jones, Demeritte.  This might be similar to the infield with Reyes moving around the 3 spots and a 4 for 3 time share.  Stewart allegedly has the power, Reyes has put the bat on the ball, Jones has the glove, Demeritte is supposed to be a blend of speed  and some power.  I doubt Cameron makes the club regardless of what happens in spring training.

That's 12 position players with room for 1 more.  Rodriguez?  Dixon?  I don't mind the idea of bringing Mercer back, or bringing in a veteran bat (or 4).  But I can see the Tigers standing pat with the above and letting the roster play itself out to determine who might be a part of the team in 2021.

And I don't have a problem with that.   Let them play and either make it or wash out, for me it would be ok to watch a team of kids hustling to make it.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I guess as far as pitching is concerned, that's probably where we might see another couple of Moore and Ross type acquisitions, but hopefully with healthier results.  

Boyd, Turnbull, and Zimmermann are likely in the rotation.  I'm not sure what roles Norris and VerHagen will have but I suspect both will return.  Jimenez will be tried as a closer again with Hardy, Stumpf, and Farmer joining him in the bullpen.  That's 9 guys there, but what is a comfortable number for the starting rotation?  I'm not sure Norris or VerHagen are starters for a season, and then there's Zimmermann's arm problems.  Turnbull has slowed down.  It seems like they're going to need to go after 2 starters and maybe a swing arm or 2.

I would see Alexander ahead of Stumpf.  

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Why in the world would Mercer choose to come back to this team?

If he likes the team and town, why not?  I doubt the members of the team consider it a hellhole.

10 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

It all depends on how the offseason shakes out, right?  Why did he choose to come to Detroit in the first place?

4 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I would see Alexander ahead of Stumpf.  

Maybe, maybe not.  I assume Alexander has options and can start in Toledo and be on call for when a rotation spot needs filled in Detroit.

One major difference that I see between the position players and the pitchers is that there isn't likely to be much movement up and down I75 from the position players unless health is an issue.  I can see pitchers bouncing up and down based on performance and/or innings needed.

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It all depends on how the offseason shakes out, right?  Why did he choose to come to Detroit in the first place?

He came because Avila did one of his patented early FA offers. It was more than Jordy and his agent thought he might get (see Iggy) and he and his agent didn't know if he'd get a better offer.  

4 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

He came because Avila did one of his patented early FA offers. It was more than Jordy and his agent thought he might get (see Iggy) and he and his agent didn't know if he'd get a better offer.  

So money talked?  I don't expect it to happen again, but maybe it does.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I doubt Cameron makes the club regardless of what happens in spring training.

My outlier guess is that if he picks up where he left off recently (and assuming he is protected this winter) we will see Hill get one of those "This is you last chance to make it" call ups at which point he will either swim or be waived.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Zimmermann are likely in the rotation

How many times can they nerve block him?

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

How many times can they nerve block him?

That was Cas!!  He wants to torment JZ and Tiger fans...  😉

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Whatever improvement we get next yr will be 90% in the starting pitching. Rogers has to go back to AAA and see if he can get his feet under him. But the thing that is being missed is that as bad as the current group is, they are scoring more runs than before they all started playing together. Add a healthy Jones and Goodrum back to the mix and the team will score runs at a better rate than it did this season in May/June/July. And they should probably bring Mercer back.

On the pitching side, we will come out of ST with Boyd, Norris, Turnbull and probably Verhagen plus some waste heap signing, maybe Moore again, as starters. But by the ASB the 5th starter and one of the others will probably both have crashed and burned so I'm hoping we see up to two of the Erie phenoms. Upside potential altogether might be to stay under 100 losses.

earlier this year you argued to me that the tigers wouldnt be drafting in the top 10 in 2021.  you still believe that?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

So money talked?  I don't expect it to happen again, but maybe it does.

Why wouldn't money talk?  It's a career, he has to earn.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why wouldn't money talk?  It's a career, he has to earn.

Whoops, I stated that incorrectly.  I would expect money to talk.  I don't expect it to be via the Tigers resigning him.

2 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Because other teams don't want him.  

3 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

It's a guaranteed starting job on the one major league team he will get that chance with, and it will be his until he gets hurt again or plays himself out of it.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

I suspect there won't be much movement among the position players.

DH - Cabrera.  Easy enough, as long as he is healthy.

C - Greiner, Hicks.   I don't believe that Greiner has turned a corner with his bat, but I would guess that his overall game is preferable as a starter over Hicks.  Rogers is simply overmatched right now.

IF - Candelario, CastroH, Lugo, CastroW, Goodrum.  I think its possible that CastroW might start out in Toledo if he looks rough in spring.  Otherwise that's the starting infield going around the horn and I think its highly likely that playing time is spread around pretty evenly.  I'd bet its Candelario's last chance, but there isn't much in the minors to push him, so who knows.

OF - Stewart, Reyes, Jones, Demeritte.  This might be similar to the infield with Reyes moving around the 3 spots and a 4 for 3 time share.  Stewart allegedly has the power, Reyes has put the bat on the ball, Jones has the glove, Demeritte is supposed to be a blend of speed  and some power.  I doubt Cameron makes the club regardless of what happens in spring training.

That's 12 position players with room for 1 more.  Rodriguez?  Dixon?  I don't mind the idea of bringing Mercer back, or bringing in a veteran bat (or 4).  But I can see the Tigers standing pat with the above and letting the roster play itself out to determine who might be a part of the team in 2021.

I think they need another veteran or two.  Preferably, someone who can play 1B with some pop--he wouldn't be blocking anyone's progress.  I'd place a high value on someone who is a good clubhouse guy, too.  Normally, I wouldn't care about that, but with a very young team that will go through a ton of adversity, it will be good to have a positive influence.  We all know that's not Miggy.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

earlier this year you argued to me that the tigers wouldnt be drafting in the top 10 in 2021.  you still believe that?

It's for sure looking less good today than a year ago. Of course, it's not like the Tigers lack for potential upside, there are still number of players that could be decent regular players and the pitching pipeline still looks solid. The two things which look worse to me since a year ago are first that the Tig's refused to move any of the AA phenoms to AAA this season, which I would guess means  we won't see any of them in Det until at least mid-season next yr, and second, Stewart, Cameron and Candelario have had disappointing 2019s. Those guys are a third of starting line-up who have all taken a step backward this year. I wasn't expecting great things from those guys, but I didn't expect them all to all regress so much. Reminds me of the year that Toledo started the season with Moya, Dirks and Collings in the OF and it seemed like the Tigers had to score at least one MLB  LH hitting OF, and then none of them made it. (so I should know better by now.....)

Also expected more progress from Jimenez - though he still young enough and does have the stuff to be elite if he can ever get his concentration level up to match.

The other thing that should make baseball in general fun to watch in 2020 will be whatever MLB ends up doing about the ball. You'd  think the league would make a small change. But they have proven themselves so inept over the years that I can easily see them 'accidentally' making a much bigger change than they intend. A significant change could cut RS for this year's big HR teams by over 100 runs.

A significantly deader ball could help the poor HR hitting teams like the Tigers the most. The current version of the Tigers does get a lot of base hits. But maybe the most interesting thing is that any large change will at least partially invalidate all the data that teams are using to decide their shifting strategies and hitting strategies.

53 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think they need another veteran or two.  Preferably, someone who can play 1B with some pop--he wouldn't be blocking anyone's progress.  I'd place a high value on someone who is a good clubhouse guy, too.  Normally, I wouldn't care about that, but with a very young team that will go through a ton of adversity, it will be good to have a positive influence.  We all know that's not Miggy.

Unfortunately .. does not appear to be any worth-the-money FA first baseman available after this season .. unless the Blue Jays fail to resign Justin Smoak and Tigers could get him at something like 4yr/$40m.  That could secure the Tigers first base weakness until they can draft and then develop one on the farms.