RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

He's been hitting them where they ain't....maybe Lloyd has taught him that dark art?

Greiner.thumb.jpg.b1922692c4ffd7332540fc791e34383f.jpg

Says here Grayson Greiner has zero walks, an ISO of .091, and a BABIP of .481 since he's been back.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Says here Grayson Greiner has zero walks, an ISO of .091, and a BABIP of .481 since he's been back.

He's no Johnny Bench, but he was K'ing at a 34% rate before he went down and so far is at 18% on his return. SSS of course, but that's the aspect that looks better. A good first step is always getting the bat on the ball!

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

He's no Johnny Bench, but he was K'ing at a 34% rate before he went down and so far is at 18% on his return. SSS of course, but that's the aspect that looks better.

Brooks says he putting more swings on balls now than he was before and putting more of them into play, where they are falling in for hits at a 50% rate. To the degree he can keep doing that, sure, let's have some fun.

If Greiner, Reyes and Castro could walk 40 times a season, all of their other numbers would look so much better.  I don't really care about Harold's SLG--he'd have value as a 2B with a good (.340) or above OBP and good D.  Reyes is more exposed in the OF--he has to start walking and demonstrating more power.  Much more confident that the power will develop--however, it just seems that if a guy doesn't show patience at the plate throughout their minor league career, they rarely develop that in the majors.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Brooks says he putting more swings on balls now than he was before and putting more of them into play, where they are falling in for hits at a 50% rate. To the degree he can keep doing that, sure, let's have some fun.

I'll take every other one.  I bet Rogers would, too.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

..........thus my "hitting them where they ain't" line

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Reyes and Castro should not be counted on for any significant role moving forward.  Put them into the super utility competition, along with Goodrum, Rodriguez and Hicks.  Also not confident with Greiner--the sample size is way too small, though could be encouraging if it is the result of a mechanical adjustment to his swing.

The future is Stewart, Rogers, Greene and Paredes.  I'm also cautiously optimistic in Cameron and W. Castro.  Candelario, Demeritte and Clemens are intriguing because of their power/BB potential. 

Everyone else in the organization is too flawed to expect any sort of sustained production.  I know I'm not saying anything that most everyone else is thinking.

Go get Tork or the Vanderbilt 2B with the overall pick.  Both profile to be excellent bats and should be able to contribute quickly.

Sometimes the definitive pronouncements here amaze me.   

On one hand we should forget about 2 players in essentially their 1st year of MLB with OPS around .750, decent to good fielders and some speed as ever being starters. 

On the other hand we can count on either of 2 college players being able to contribute quickly which completely ignores the high failure rate even among top draft choices.

I have more faith in Reyes than Stewart.  I think his defense is going to wash him out.

Vic Reyes has a .382 BABIP and a 5% walk rate...his hitting luck isn't sustainable for an mlb regular. Both Castros have bad walk rates. Willi might have a chance if his defense plays.

Candelario, Stewart, jaCoby, and Jake R all have passable walk rates. But of course none of them either make contact or slug with any regularity. I suspect most of the 4A and 'prospects' currently on the 40 man will wash out. If Avila thinks this is a core of a good team, he'll be fired for it.

14 minutes ago, kdog said:

Vic Reyes has a .382 BABIP and a 5% walk rate...his hitting luck isn't sustainable for an mlb regular. Both Castros have bad walk rates. Willi might have a chance if his defense plays.

Candelario, Stewart, jaCoby, and Jake R all have passable walk rates. But of course none of them either make contact or slug with any regularity. I suspect most of the 4A and 'prospects' currently on the 40 man will wash out. If Avila thinks this is a core of a good team, he'll be fired for it.

I am so excited.  It's all coming together at the same time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I'll take every other one.  I bet Rogers would, too.

Who wouldn't take every other one? I wouldn't put any stock into him continuing that, but I'll take what he's done.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Who wouldn't take every other one? I wouldn't put any stock into him continuing that, but I'll take what he's done.

Look, asking for every one is greedy.  I think every other one is reasonable.  Do it.  Make it happen.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Jake and Stewart both are around .740 OPS.   Jake gives you value in the field, Stewart loses value there.

To lump Candelario at .620OPS and Rogers at .500OPS with them is grouping pretty dissimilar hitters by performance at least so far.   Of course Candelario has had much more time to prove himself than Rogers and it hasn't happened.   As G2 continues to point out it seems the wrist injury really affected him.

If you get one league average player out of the following guys, that would be a win:

Rogers

Candy

Stewart

Demeritte

Reyes

Jones

Castro 

• Like 1

If Tigers are to improve next year ..Need at least 4 of those 7 to consistently perform at or above average MLB talent level.  Key word is 'consistently'.  My guess would be Jones, Castro, Demeritte, and Reyes.   Have no hope for Stewart or Candy.  Rogers better step it up early next year.

6 hours ago, kdog said:

This is a terrible team. These players would be lucky to make any other team in MLB. Harold and Reyes are at least making it a decent audition for themselves.  The others are a definite nope. And Cameron is about the only other one with a shot next year. I'm not sure if Rogers will ever hit here. Elizier Alfonso is our next starting catcher, and he is 3 years away, at least. We are in trouble next year and again in 21. 22 we may hit .500 and we should contend in 24. 

4 hours ago, kdog said:

If you get one league average player out of the following guys, that would be a win:

Rogers

Candy

Stewart

Demeritte

Reyes

Jones

Castro 

Jones has the most ability. Harold may continue to surprise. Boy, the other guys.....

4 hours ago, kdog said:

Rogers

Candy

Stewart

Demeritte

Reyes

Jones

Castro 

I count 5.

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

If Tigers are to improve next year ..Need at least 4 of those 7 to consistently perform at or above average MLB talent level.  Key word is 'consistently'.  My guess would be Jones, Castro, Demeritte, and Reyes.   Have no hope for Stewart or Candy.  Rogers better step it up early next year.

Whatever improvement we get next yr will be 90% in the starting pitching. Rogers has to go back to AAA and see if he can get his feet under him. But the thing that is being missed is that as bad as the current group is, they are scoring more runs than before they all started playing together. Add a healthy Jones and Goodrum back to the mix and the team will score runs at a better rate than it did this season in May/June/July. And they should probably bring Mercer back.

On the pitching side, we will come out of ST with Boyd, Norris, Turnbull and probably Verhagen plus some waste heap signing, maybe Moore again, as starters. But by the ASB the 5th starter and one of the others will probably both have crashed and burned so I'm hoping we see up to two of the Erie phenoms. Upside potential altogether might be to stay under 100 losses.

The race to the 1-1 draft choice is in its final two weeks.

Tigers - 45 wins and 104 losses.  Orioles - 49 wins and 101 losses.

Tigers remaining games 13, 7 with the White Sox, 3 Twins, and 3 Indians.

Orioles 12 remaining, 6 with Blue Jays, 3 Mariners, and 3 with Red Sox.

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

That's 'cause he's tall. Big strike zone. Now take Eddie Gadell, for instance. That dude could walk.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And they should probably bring Mercer back.

This thought occurred to me today too.....that it would probably be a good idea.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

. But the thing that is being missed is that as bad as the current group is, they are scoring more runs than before they all started playing together. Add a healthy Jones and Goodrum back to the mix and the team will score runs at a better rate than it did this season in May/June/July. 

Most here assume that any improvement is unsustainable.   Could be true, could be that they're figuring things out.   Time will tell.   If they continue and finish strong it at least provides some hope that next year might be more entertaining.   

3 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I count 5.

That is really optimistic.  League average is good.  It's 2 WAR consistently.  I agree with kdog that one of those guys reaching that level would be a good result.  

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Whatever improvement we get next yr will be 90% in the starting pitching. Rogers has to go back to AAA and see if he can get his feet under him. But the thing that is being missed is that as bad as the current group is, they are scoring more runs than before they all started playing together. Add a healthy Jones and Goodrum back to the mix and the team will score runs at a better rate than it did this season in May/June/July. And they should probably bring Mercer back.

On the pitching side, we will come out of ST with Boyd, Norris, Turnbull and probably Verhagen plus some waste heap signing, maybe Moore again, as starters. But by the ASB the 5th starter and one of the others will probably both have crashed and burned so I'm hoping we see up to two of the Erie phenoms. Upside potential altogether might be to stay under 100 losses.

I suspect there won't be much movement among the position players.

DH - Cabrera.  Easy enough, as long as he is healthy.

C - Greiner, Hicks.   I don't believe that Greiner has turned a corner with his bat, but I would guess that his overall game is preferable as a starter over Hicks.  Rogers is simply overmatched right now.

IF - Candelario, CastroH, Lugo, CastroW, Goodrum.  I think its possible that CastroW might start out in Toledo if he looks rough in spring.  Otherwise that's the starting infield going around the horn and I think its highly likely that playing time is spread around pretty evenly.  I'd bet its Candelario's last chance, but there isn't much in the minors to push him, so who knows.

OF - Stewart, Reyes, Jones, Demeritte.  This might be similar to the infield with Reyes moving around the 3 spots and a 4 for 3 time share.  Stewart allegedly has the power, Reyes has put the bat on the ball, Jones has the glove, Demeritte is supposed to be a blend of speed  and some power.  I doubt Cameron makes the club regardless of what happens in spring training.

That's 12 position players with room for 1 more.  Rodriguez?  Dixon?  I don't mind the idea of bringing Mercer back, or bringing in a veteran bat (or 4).  But I can see the Tigers standing pat with the above and letting the roster play itself out to determine who might be a part of the team in 2021.

I guess as far as pitching is concerned, that's probably where we might see another couple of Moore and Ross type acquisitions, but hopefully with healthier results.  

Boyd, Turnbull, and Zimmermann are likely in the rotation.  I'm not sure what roles Norris and VerHagen will have but I suspect both will return.  Jimenez will be tried as a closer again with Hardy, Stumpf, and Farmer joining him in the bullpen.  That's 9 guys there, but what is a comfortable number for the starting rotation?  I'm not sure Norris or VerHagen are starters for a season, and then there's Zimmermann's arm problems.  Turnbull has slowed down.  It seems like they're going to need to go after 2 starters and maybe a swing arm or 2.