RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Heads have rolled.

Tigers fire six minor league coaches; future of Mud Hens’ Doug Mientkiewicz not determined

Among those staffers who have been informed they will not be back in 2020:

►Basilio Cabrera, Triple A Toledo’s third-base coach.

►Brian Harper, hitting coach at Double A Erie.

►Bill Dancy, Tigers minor-league field coordinator.

►Eddie Dennis, a versatile coach who worked on manager Lance Parrish’s staff at Single A West Michigan.

►Luis Lopez, manager for the Gulf Coast League East rookie team.

►Jose Parra, pitching coach at GCL East.

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

B-Notez doesn't need this ****, anyway. Deuce is calling him up to run the Des Moines operation. 

59 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Heads have rolled.

Tigers fire six minor league coaches; future of Mud Hens’ Doug Mientkiewicz not determined

Among those staffers who have been informed they will not be back in 2020:

►Basilio Cabrera, Triple A Toledo’s third-base coach.

►Bill Dancy, Tigers minor-league field coordinator.

►Eddie Dennis, a versatile coach who worked on manager Lance Parrish’s staff at Single A West Michigan.

►Luis Lopez, manager for the Gulf Coast League East rookie team.

►Jose Parra, pitching coach at GCL East.

that's it?

Just now, Buddha said:

that's it?

Window dressing.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

that's it?

That was my thought. 

Maybe they want to do the overhaul in steps...I mean firing everyone at once could create a log jam in HR

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Maybe they want to do the overhaul in steps...I mean firing everyone at once could create a log jam in HR

while they haven't announced replacements, one hopes they have people in mind for each position. It's fundamental to a successful 'upgrade' that you be able to identify and land better people before you just let people go for the sake of letting them go. I would think that also limits how much turnover you can do at once. I doubt a whole system full of competent people are just waiting by the phone for the Tiger's call. The best are no doubt already happily working for other teams.

28 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

That could be fun to watch but let's leave Harold Reynolds out of this. 

West Michigan's coaching staff should all be fired. Lance Parrish is one of the poster boys of who benefits from the old boys network. He's been a godawful coach at every stop and has no demonstrated skill in player development. The Tigers need a total overhaul of player development throughout the minors for their position players. 

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Grayson Greiner looking like a different hitter since he came back.

He's been hitting them where they ain't....maybe Lloyd has taught him that dark art?

Greiner.thumb.jpg.b1922692c4ffd7332540fc791e34383f.jpg

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Grayson Greiner looking like a different hitter since he came back.

7 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

He's been hitting them where they ain't....maybe Lloyd has taught him that dark art?

Greiner.thumb.jpg.b1922692c4ffd7332540fc791e34383f.jpg

They've mentioned during the telecasts that Greiner has added or removed a toe tap before his swing.  Maybe that's part of it?

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

They've mentioned during the telecasts that Greiner has added or removed a toe tap before his swing.  Maybe that's part of it?

Like, with a wide stance?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Who knows?  It would be great if he could keep it up for 2 more weeks and give us hope for a viable option at C next season.   If so, we could have hope at CF with Jake - one of the corners with RuleVictor - somewhere with HCastro - 

Then pray the light comes on for one/some of Stewart/WCastro/CandyMan/Lugo/Demeritte  along with Niko and Miggy you could have the beginnings of a passable lineup.   lol, it's all too much to hope for but we have the whole winter ahead soon to speculate.

23 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Like, with a wide stance?

I don't remember them saying anything about a wide stance, although I remember now they did mention him standing a bit more upright.  But they talked mostly about the toe tap.

He's 6'5" or 6'6".  If he has a wide stance, he'll be out of the batters box.

23 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Who knows?  It would be great if he could keep it up for 2 more weeks and give us hope for a viable option at C next season.   If so, we could have hope at CF with Jake - one of the corners with RuleVictor - somewhere with HCastro - 

Then pray the light comes on for one/some of Stewart/WCastro/CandyMan/Lugo/Demeritte  along with Niko and Miggy you could have the beginnings of a passable lineup.   lol, it's all too much to hope for but we have the whole winter ahead soon to speculate.

CastroH to 2B.  I wish Gardenhire was playing him there now with Reyes in CF.

Reyes and Castro should not be counted on for any significant role moving forward.  Put them into the super utility competition, along with Goodrum, Rodriguez and Hicks.  Also not confident with Greiner--the sample size is way too small, though could be encouraging if it is the result of a mechanical adjustment to his swing.

The future is Stewart, Rogers, Greene and Paredes.  I'm also cautiously optimistic in Cameron and W. Castro.  Candelario, Demeritte and Clemens are intriguing because of their power/BB potential. 

Everyone else in the organization is too flawed to expect any sort of sustained production.  I know I'm not saying anything that most everyone else is thinking.

Go get Tork or the Vanderbilt 2B with the overall pick.  Both profile to be excellent bats and should be able to contribute quickly.

Far too early to suggest that Castro and Reyes (in particular) can't be starters.  Reyes made huge strides this year.  If Castro were to gain a but of power as he matures and improve his pitch selection to walk a skosh more I could see him.   He could be a 750-800 OPS 2B with a decent glove.  We have bigger issues to fix than that

45 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Far too early to suggest that Castro and Reyes (in particular) can't be starters.  Reyes made huge strides this year.  If Castro were to gain a but of power as he matures and improve his pitch selection to walk a skosh more I could see him.   He could be a 750-800 OPS 2B with a decent glove.  We have bigger issues to fix than that

Reyes has been the best player on the team overall since he came up.  I was hoping someone in the media would pick up on his game the other night. I'm guessing it was a combination very seldom achieved and would love someone to research when it last happened: HR, hit, walk, run scored, assist, stolen base. That is a whole week's production for the average 2019 Tiger player.

The thing with Victor that is promising is that he has about 250 MLB AB this season and has not started to fall off, which means that whatever other teams have scouting about his weaknesses, he is adjusting. Many rookies/young players might still carry a 300 after 250 AB but their performance is already on the decline as the league finds their weaknesses. Yes - he needs to walk more, but his K rate is under control and a 300 hitting CF that covers ground can still be an asset in the MLB even if his OBP doesn't get to 330. Sure he may turn into a pumpkin by 750 PA, but right now he is a good a bet to stick as any other OF in the system besides Greene.

45 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Reyes and Castro should not be counted on for any significant role moving forward.  Put them into the super utility competition, along with Goodrum, Rodriguez and Hicks.  Also not confident with Greiner--the sample size is way too small, though could be encouraging if it is the result of a mechanical adjustment to his swing.

The future is Stewart, Rogers, Greene and Paredes.  I'm also cautiously optimistic in Cameron and W. Castro.  Candelario, Demeritte and Clemens are intriguing because of their power/BB potential. 

Everyone else in the organization is too flawed to expect any sort of sustained production.  I know I'm not saying anything that most everyone else is thinking.

Go get Tork or the Vanderbilt 2B with the overall pick.  Both profile to be excellent bats and should be able to contribute quickly.

I'm not sure the Tigers are deep enough to shuffle Reyes or CastroH off to the side.  Obviously both are still flawed and need to grow, but given the competition on the roster, why would they be given up on?

Reyes has been better than both Stewart and Demeritte this season.  That's just a fact.  I'm also not saying they should give up on either Stewart or Demeritte.

CastroH might have competition at 2B from Rodriguez or Goodrum, but its difficult to see that given that all 3 have been used all over the place.  CastroH easily is the better defender at 2B and can also play decently in CF.

I don't see rolling Hicks into a "super utility" role.  He plays C and masquerades at 1B.  That doesn't really seem so super utility.

41 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Yes, they need to improve both OBP and SLG to some degree.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

CastroH might have competition at 2B from Rodriguez or Goodrum, but its difficult to see that given that all 3 have been used all over the place.  CastroH easily is the better defender at 2B and can also play decently in CF.

The only problem I have with HCastro is his tendency to nonchalant too many plays in the field. That is something you'd expect to coach a younger player out of, but Harold isn't that young anymore.