RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

True, but balls scolded that hard  likely are going for a base hit whether you have Ozzie Smith or a statue back there so does it really matter what kind of defender you are?

that is the question. The problem is given the deficiencies of defensive metrics, we probably don't have the data to get that kind of answer, And if they change the ball again next year, most of all the data collected over the last two years will lose a big part of it's predictive value as well - giving the whole analytics effort a major hiccup to deal with! 😥

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

In an era with more k's and flyballs is being able to handle short as important as it used to be?    At this stage all I care about is if he can hit and that's it.  

Same. The org doing stupid **** again. Better make him work on his bunting, too. Let's just make defense his primary focus. He makes a ton of contact so being able to move runners up a base will be really important. 

Ugh. Stop ****ing with him. Let him slug the **** out of the ball and play him where you can. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Same. The org doing stupid **** again. Better make him work on his bunting, too. Let's just make defense his primary focus. He makes a ton of contact so being able to move runners up a base will be really important. 

Ugh. Stop ****ing with him. Let him slug the **** out of the ball and play him where you can. 

It is certainly true that there is a strain in the Tiger org history along the lines of not leaving well enough alone. Maybe every org is the same, but who can forget the Detroit brain trust deciding JV needed to stop throwing the ball so hard, or that Ricky P should just stop worrying about his FB velocity dropping, or that Nick C had to change positions every year because we already had soooo many great position players blocking his path in Det if he didn't......

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It is certainly true that there is a strain in the Tiger org history along the lines of not leaving well enough alone. Maybe every org is the same, but who can forget the Detroit brain trust deciding JV needed to stop throwing the ball so hard, or that Ricky P should just stop worrying about his FB velocity dropping, or that Nick C had to change positions every year because we already had soooo many great position players blocking his path in Det if he didn't......

Nick said he was relieved that in Chicago he could just slug away rather than focusing on driving the ball to all fields. Normally I'm a fan of the latter approach but sometimes you just gotta see ball, hit ball. 

If he's wider...it will make the shift appear more daunting.  "WTF...how are they getting away with playing 10 guys out there?"

On that note, Isaac just does not look like he needs to lose 30 pounds. I feel they're just looking at a number. Mike Trout would be faster if he were 30 pounds lighter, but that doesn't mean he needs to lose that. Not the best example, but he's not exactly the panda. He has a full frame and is stocky. He might need to lose 10 pounds. 

Isaac-Paredes-crop-9.17.18-1024x667.jpg

AR-170809865.jpg

Of course, it's not like this is something they have to guess about. The Tigers have to access to a facility somewhere where they can take an accurate measure of a player's body fat. One would hope they are not just pulling a number out of thin air, but.....

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course, it's not like this is something they have to guess about. The Tigers have to access to a facility somewhere where they can take an accurate measure of a player's body fat. One would hope they are not just pulling a number out of thin air, but.....

They just seemed determined to annoy the **** out of this kid. I remember in the spring they were "disappointed" with what shape he was in when he showed up. Perhaps they're just trying to be preventative. 

Peralta played short at 225, but he was listed at 6' 2"  -  still not exactly svelt. Then agins, I'd guess that if Paredes fielded as well as Peralta they wouldn't be on his case.

Image result for jhonny peralta

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it's kind of interesting that he doesn't seem to care about playing short. SS and CF are kind of the holy grail positions for IF and OF respectively. Seems somehow off that a young player who could play SS doesn't seem to have the ambition to land the glamor job. Or maybe something was just lost in translation.

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

In an era with more k's and flyballs is being able to handle short as important as it used to be?    At this stage all I care about is if he can hit and that's it.  

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

To add to this, 5 years ago there were 14 different short stops that had 350+ balls hit to them(roughly 2 per game), this year there likely isn't going to be a single one. 

I have been thinking about this a bit lately:  In today's age of shifts and fielding analytics, are the some of the traditional attributes of certain defensive positions in play as much anymore?  Unless hitters start applying the shifts to their approaches and can hit away from them successfully, shifting is the new norm, right?

You look at the NBA and how teams are going away from the traditional 5 positions to ball handlers, wings, post, etc.  Does this theory extend to shortstops and second basement eventually morphing into just middle infielders?

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

On that note, Isaac just does not look like he needs to lose 30 pounds. I feel they're just looking at a number. Mike Trout would be faster if he were 30 pounds lighter, but that doesn't mean he needs to lose that. Not the best example, but he's not exactly the panda. He has a full frame and is stocky. He might need to lose 10 pounds. 

Isaac-Paredes-crop-9.17.18-1024x667.jpg

AR-170809865.jpg

Those pictures are at least a year old...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

FYI the Tigers come in at 6th on Pipelines latest rankings.  

The past year I have seen the Tigers listed all over on minor league rankings.

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Peralta played short at 225, but he was listed at 6' 2"  -  still not exactly svelt. Then agins, I'd guess that if Paredes fielded as well as Peralta they wouldn't be on his case.

Image result for jhonny peralta

The funny thing about Peralta is that he looked like a poor fielder, but his numbers were consistently good.  

I still think Peralta's suspension was a killer for us.  One of the more underrated bad things that happened near the end of our run. 

16 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Remember when he played LF?

Yep that's part of the reason I say it was a disaster.  He was killing the ball before the suspension, so if that never happens we don't trade for Iglesias which in turn means when he comes back he doesn't have to play LF.   Also I think he was rusty when he came back and never got back in the groove of things that year.   If he doesn't get suspended and continued to hit the way he was his bat would've came in handy and maybe helped us beat Boston. 

Then because we traded for Iglesias we let Peralta walk at the end of the season.   Iglesias ended up missing all of 2014 where as Peralta had a great year with the Cardinals.   If we had him in 2014 maybe things would have turned out differently?   Plus we would still have Garcia at our disposable which we may have been able to trade for another piece that could've helped us.   Just so many different scenarios could've played out if he never got suspended. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

The funny thing about Peralta is that he looked like a poor fielder, but his numbers were consistently good.  

the value of a great 1st step if I had to guess how.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep that's part of the reason I say it was a disaster.  He was killing the ball before the suspension, so if that never happens we don't trade for Iglesias which in turn means when he comes back he doesn't have to play LF.   Also I think he was rusty when he came back and never got back in the groove of things that year.   If he doesn't get suspended and continued to hit the way he was his bat would've came in handy and maybe helped us beat Boston. 

Then because we traded for Iglesias we let Peralta walk at the end of the season.   Iglesias ended up missing all of 2014 where as Peralta had a great year with the Cardinals.   If we had him in 2014 maybe things would have turned out differently?   Plus we would still have Garcia at our disposable which we may have been able to trade for another piece that could've helped us.   Just so many different scenarios could've played out if he never got suspended. 

I still don't understand Dombrowski refusing to offer him a qualifying contract which would have netted a draft pick.  Same with when he let Polanco walk.

16 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's a good point... I never thought about all of those downstream effects. 

But maybe the reason he was so productive is the very reason he got suspended so...?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I still don't understand Dombrowski refusing to offer him a qualifying contract which would have netted a draft pick.  Same with when he let Polanco walk.

I recall DD saying afterward he didn't think he'd get offered a large enough contract to warrant a pick. Perhaps he was concerned he would accept the QO. Who knows. I agree, it was a blunder on his part

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

I recall DD saying afterward he didn't think he'd get offered a large enough contract to warrant a pick. Perhaps he was concerned he would accept the QO. Who knows. I agree, it was a blunder on his part

I'm pretty sure the compensation system was different back then, but can't recall the details.