RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

After 208 plate appearances of rookie ball, the 18 year Greene has not put up superstar numbers in A- or A ball.

We should probably cut him before he gets too expensive.   Or maybe hire Dombrowski, then he'll hit better next year.

4-5 years is the trajectory for Greene. Obviously he is a talented kid, to say the least. BUT he is 18 years old. 18 and in A ball is going to be more challenging for any kid. 18 flicking years old, man.

2024 will be the year we will be in it. If you do the math with these guys, you will see the tremendous talent we will have accumulated by then. I just am not sure I will still be alive to see it.

I'm encouraged by the defense that Greene displayed.  I'm not worried about his bat, but he was making highlight reel plays on a fairly regular basis.  Even is his speed doesn't allow him to stay in CF longterm, we have the makings of a Gold Glove calibre corner outfielder.

1 hour ago, Tim Mitchell said:

2024 will be the year we will be in it. If you do the math with these guys, you will see the tremendous talent we will have accumulated by then. I just am not sure I will still be alive to see it.

Not once the Tigers dump Mize, Manning and Skubal at the 2023 trade deadline to get new and exciting prospects to please the fans.

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm encouraged by the defense that Greene displayed.  I'm not worried about his bat, but he was making highlight reel plays on a fairly regular basis.  Even is his speed doesn't allow him to stay in CF longterm, we have the makings of a Gold Glove calibre corner outfielder.

his glove is encouraging considering he was initially scouted as maybe ending up at first base or right field.

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I wasn't as encouraged based on my look in Connecticut. Some of the highlight stuff was necessitated by delayed reads and late breaks on the ball. I think he's a solid corner outfielder long term, but I don't think his early glove work in CF should give hope of more than that.

If Greene becomes a regular All-Star merely in the mold of Stan Musial .. I will be happy.

i'll be happy if he becomes jermaine dye.  or nick castellanos with a better glove.

55 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Some stuff in here about player development and a comment from Casey Mize.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/do-we-even-need-minor-league-baseball/

this makes a ton of sense up to a single hard limit, which is that while it may be good for a hitter be challenged, there is going to be a point past which his failure rate become so high against a given level of pitching that he cannot learn anything from further attempts. I would guess that is somewhere around a 150-200 BA give or take.

What I do think MLB absolutely misses the boat on is that they do have players spend too much time to get to the MLB. Players have the most capacity to improve when they are young, I do think development schedules should be compressed to every degree possible - up to the limit noted above. The younger a hitter sees good pitching, the better his chance is of learning to hit it. And this is exactly why non-game training is probably going to be the next big comparative advantage.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this makes a ton of sense up to a single hard limit, which is that while it may be good for a hitter be challenged, there is going to be a point past which his failure rate become so high against a given level of pitching that he cannot learn anything from further attempts. I would guess that is somewhere around a 150-200 BA give or take.

It is arguably the #1 job of any (good) coach or teacher.

Make your exercises challenging and relevant enough to force the player/student to do the right things to succeed, but not so challenging that success is not possible / plausible.

Lynn says the Tigers want Paredes to drop 30 lbs so he can try to stick at SS.  Maybe they can get a group...or maybe bulk...discount if Miggy joins him here.

https://www.premierfitnesscamp.com/visit/fat-camp/c?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=fat-t1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8NfrBRA7EiwAfiVJpYcdJUq1lQ3qmyWFxvRtaQjDCbNhbZzVRf57RN7QE03xfGTfNaSXbhoCE1wQAvD_BwE

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Lynn says the Tigers want Paredes to drop 30 lbs so he can try to stick at SS.  Maybe they can get a group...or maybe bulk...discount if Miggy joins him here.

https://www.premierfitnesscamp.com/visit/fat-camp/c?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=fat-t1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8NfrBRA7EiwAfiVJpYcdJUq1lQ3qmyWFxvRtaQjDCbNhbZzVRf57RN7QE03xfGTfNaSXbhoCE1wQAvD_BwE

He’s 20 and they are worried about his weight?  Not a great sign that he can stick at SS.  He might be Pablo Sandoval in 10 years.

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

30lbs sounds like a lot! Dropping weight probably wont help his ability to hit for power. I guess they want him to be another single slapping middle infielder...

18 minutes ago, JackPine said:

30lbs sounds like a lot! Dropping weight probably wont help his ability to hit for power. I guess they want him to be another single slapping middle infielder...

I think it's kind of interesting that he doesn't seem to care about playing short. SS and CF are kind of the holy grail positions for IF and OF respectively. Seems somehow off that a young player who could play SS doesn't seem to have the ambition to land the glamor job. Or maybe something was just lost in translation.

21 hours ago, Buddha said:

I get it.  He plays for your favorite team and is therefore going to be the next great superstar the game has ever seen.

I hope you're right.

He's no JJ Bleday.  

In an era with more k's and flyballs is being able to handle short as important as it used to be?    At this stage all I care about is if he can hit and that's it.  

40 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it's kind of interesting that he doesn't seem to care about playing short. SS and CF are kind of the holy grail positions for IF and OF respectively. Seems somehow off that a young player who could play SS doesn't seem to have the ambition to land the glamor job. Or maybe something was just lost in translation.

Could be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that part of his attitude issues involved him pouting a bit when he didn't play SS. So not that he doesn't care, just doesn't have the discipline.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

In an era with more k's and flyballs is being able to handle short as important as it used to be?    At this stage all I care about is if he can hit and that's it.  

Or maybe in the day of 115 mph exit velocity extreme IF fielding skill is even more a premium run prevention value. I have no idea which is true, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility....

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

To add to this, 5 years ago there were 14 different short stops that had 350+ balls hit to them(roughly 2 per game), this year there likely isn't going to be a single one. 

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Or maybe in the day of 115 mph exit velocity extreme IF fielding skill is even more a premium run prevention value. I have no idea which is true, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility....

True, but balls scolded that hard  likely are going for a base hit whether you have Ozzie Smith or a statue back there so does it really matter what kind of defender you are?