RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Erie dropped one 7-6 to Richmond. Wentz not bad 5.1IP 4H 2R 1BB 5K but Szkutnik gave it up in relief.

Hill 1/3 2B 2BB, Gibson 2/3 BB

At WestMI, Caps fall 6-4 but Welhaf 6IP 1H 0R 1BB 6K.

Greene  2/5, 2B, W. Perez 2/4 BB

For CT, Quintana 2/5, Quiggle 2/3 BB in 5-4 win

I assume Paredes will end up at 1B? That would make his prospect rankings make more sense. A legit 3B who hits like he has as a 20 year old in AA would normally be a top 50 prospect.

11 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

I assume Paredes will end up at 1B? That would make his prospect rankings make more sense. A legit 3B who hits like he has as a 20 year old in AA would normally be a top 50 prospect.

DK, don't get to see him play. I know a part of the knock on Paredes had been that scouts didn't believe he would not grow out a capable defensive physique. Depending on whether he has or hasn't gotten thicker/slower in the last year could affect his projections.

9 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Somewheres on this site was some bemoaning about short right handed hitting 1Bdudes.  Parades is 5'11" and right handed hitting.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Somewheres on this site was some bemoaning about short right handed hitting 1Bdudes.  Parades is 5'11" and right handed hitting.

but he's country strong.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Pretty low on my list of concerns is my 1B is both only 5'11" and RH.

How many extra throws in a season is a 6'2" guy really going to get that a 5'11" guy does not?  It has to be fewer than 10.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How many extra throws in a season is a 6'2" guy really going to get that a 5'11" guy does not?  It has to be fewer than 10.

Yeah, I think its a bit of a silly argument.  Unless there's a chance to get a lefty Boban Marjanovic over there.  That might be entertaining.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

depends a lot on the particular IFs he is playing with I suppose. If you have a Whittaker, Trammell and Rodriguez on your IF it probably doesn't matter at all. And it's true reach is only part of the equation, handling throws in the dirt is just as important. Miguel at 6'4" with relatively soft hands was a pretty nice target when he could still play there. 

In terms of potential numbers, the only clear case I remember was a discussion coming up once about how bad a 1B Mike Jacobs was and trying to reconstruct the difference in the number of IF errors for FLA between 2008 with Jacobs and 2009 with him gone. Of course again, it's not just reach but the total package, but errors at short and 3rd went down by more than 20 IIRC. Again not totally clear because it wasn't the same 3b full time either, but Hanley Ramirez's errors at just at short fell from 22 to 10. Of course just to complete the story, Jacobs is 6'3".

Sure - but the issue there is a bad 1B is bad whether he is 5'11" or 6'4".

Height can help, but it is pretty low on the list of things that are important to playing 1B, and even inside of that, part of the importance is predicated on the abilities / tendencies of the other IF.

FWIW, Keith Hernandez is listed as 6', which probably means he's actually 5'10".

50 minutes ago, chasfh said:

FWIW, Keith Hernandez is listed as 6', which probably means he's actually 5'10".

But what's his wingspan? :P

I was a RH first baseman just short of 6 feet as a youth.  If I were a lefty, I coulda been somebody.  

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I was a RH first baseman just short of 6 feet as a youth.  If I were a lefty, I coulda been somebody.  

But if you were a lefty you might have ended up an artiste.

?

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

?

Or he might have ended up singing duets with Pancho....

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

contender.png 

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

?

Speaking of "artiste", Castellanos's ... ahem ... nickname for Player's Weekend was "Artist". Was it the same last year? Anyone know the story behind that?

Yoandy Rea is a catcher who played for GCL East this summer.  He's just been promoted to Connecticut.  I'm assuming they want to give him a taste of a higher level, since there's only a week left in the season.

His final stats for GCL are 95 AB, 5 HR, .400/.453/1.105

Edit:  7 BB 10 K

I bet his name was just "Andy" but thenpeople starting saying "Yo, Andy" to him and the change just stuck

32 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Yoandy Rea is a catcher who played for GCL East this summer.  He's just been promoted to Connecticut.  I'm assuming they want to give him a taste of a higher level, since there's only a week left in the season.

His final stats for GCL are 95 AB, 5 HR, .400/.453/1.105

I like good stats from the deep minors, it makes those guys fun to follow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Garvey wasn’t too tall. I don’t know how his D looks through the prism of today’s analytics but I don’t remember it being an issue.