RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

If Lloyd is in fact a problem and the org doesn’t see it, or act on it, the organization is the problem.

If the organization is the problem then isn't the American League the problem?

Riley Greene is now at .194 .278 .290 in the MWL after 16 games. He went hitless four games in a row but singled, scored a run, and stole a base last night. Isn’t he probably 3 to 4 years younger than everyone else in the league?

35 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Let’s take this infinite regress of blaming seriously. Evolving from cyanobacteria on the third rock from the sun may be the ultimate problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

The league isn’t responsible for Lloyd as long as he has a clean record. If Lloyd is failing the club, and I have no opinion on the matter either way, Avila is responsible for correcting the problem. I doubt Gardy would care one way or another as to whether or not Lloyd is fulfilling expectations, especially at this point.

41 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Let’s take this infinite regress of blaming seriously. Evolving from cyanobacteria on the third rock from the sun may be the ultimate problem. 

lol, I was spoofing a bit on the old Animal House court scene.....next it should have been MLB itself, then we could have moved to society.  

fat drunk and swinging at everything is no way to go through life, lloyd.

Keith Law:

• Derek Hill, the Tigers' first-round pick in 2014, has had a disappointing year overall in his Double-A debut after several years of injuries and poor performances, although he remains an elite defender in center who should at least get time as a backup in the majors. Hill has seen his power surge this year, with 14 homers in 2019 after he hit nine in total from 2014-18, but he has just a .309 OBP thanks to a 7% walk rate, and he's striking out 28% of the time. On Sunday, he drew two walks and struck out once, and he seemed to be actively trying to work the count and get to pitches in the zone he could drive, once swinging wildly at a two-strike slider down and away as he tried to protect (he fouled it off) but otherwise making good decisions. The data say he's not always this patient, but if this is an area of focus, there's at least hope he can be more than an emergency call-up thanks to his defense and harder contact.

• Isaac Paredes had a rougher day at the plate with some bad swings and misses, although that's a rarity for him and he hammered a fastball for a hard single. He looked awful at third base, however, with one throw to first on a routine ground ball that bounced at least three times and was so slow it would have gotten there faster if he'd sent it parcel post.

Give this book a read, and if you think Lloyd is up on any empirical research that has come to light in the last few years that has helped so many untalented players become elite hitters, by all means. Especially in light of him saying he was fixing Jake Rogers after coming over from Houston by leveling his swing.

I tweeted out a screenshot a few weeks ago. Also featured for Rex Ryan, my left big toe.

https://www.amazon.com/MVP-Machine-Baseballs-Nonconformists-Players-ebook/dp/B07J4WG7FF

I guess I do not know what to think of Lloyd.  I don't know exactly what he does with players, etc.  I guess if you are just going on results, yeah, he sucks.  But is it Lloyd's fault or the is it the guys on the Tigers just don't have the talent to be quality major league hitters?

Honestly, how many position players on the Tigers would even make the roster of 2 or 3 other MLB teams?  Maybe Goodrum, Jones, Mercer, and Hicks all mainly as reserve players.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Except I don't see the biggest K rate offenders ever trying to go the other way - e.g. Candelario, Stewart. I think the logic of your data is that most of the Tigers are swinging away all the time and they still have a horrendous offense. Management may have an emphasis, but most of their hitters are not paying any attention to it once in the box.  But I don't think it really matters because the biggest problem the Tigers hitters have is lack of command of the strike zone. They let too many cookies go by - esp 1st pitch FB strikes, and then swing at too many pitcher's pitches out of the zone when down in the count. Their aggression is mostly backwards. They are most aggressive when they are least likely to see a strike. Opposing pitchers make plenty of mistakes to Tiger hitters, but we either don't swing or swing and miss. I just don't think there is much you can do for  hitters that can't tell enough strikes from a balls on the way in or who can't barrell up balls in the heart of the zone when they get them

I think this one is happening, too, because after all, who's making money in the big leagues? Contact banjo hitters or home run hitters? These guys see what's happening around them, they talk with other players, perhaps they're even reading the websites and books, so they all know all about the launch angle revolution and how it's been key in transforming average hitters into world beaters. So if these guys, supremely confident in their own abilities and potential, believe they can, as current major leaguers themselves, go into the box, swing up at the ball from their heels and prove they can hit enough home runs to make it pay out, could you blame them for abandoning management's directive to play contact ball for the opportunity to perhaps advance their own careers on their own terms? I couldn't.

But, to buddha's larger point, it likely doesn't matter much, because the players on this team simply aren't good enough to successfully execute either launch angle ball or contact ball, anyway.

Are there any college shortstops with the nickname "Fat A**" ?  That's what I really want, is a shortstop whose nickname is "Fat A**" .

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Keith Law:

The good part about Hill is his 1st half/2nd half OPS split - 660/767. 767 isn't lighting the world on fire for 23 yr old at AA but to finally see an upward trajectory for him at long last is still a good thing.

6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I guess I do not know what to think of Lloyd.  I don't know exactly what he does with players, etc.  I guess if you are just going on results, yeah, he sucks.  But is it Lloyd's fault or the is it the guys on the Tigers just don't have the talent to be quality major league hitters?

Honestly, how many position players on the Tigers would even make the roster of 2 or 3 other MLB teams?  Maybe Goodrum, Jones, Mercer, and Hicks all mainly as reserve players.

Two of these guys were unceremoniously cut loose by their previous teams before age 27.

A cook is only as good as his/her ingredients.  

Mercer and Goodrum can hit just enough to be valuable as utility players.  Hicks has some pop and could be a backup catcher somewhere.  

Jones is the guy that could actually start for a few other teams.

I'm tired of the excuses about not having anybody, every other team seems to have no problem turning multiple bad players into plus hitters.  Currently there are 222 players that have atleast 100 PAs that have an OPS above .750, you can bet a good chunk of those 222 players are/were non prospects, castoffs or AAAA yet we don't have a single one unless you count Nick that's above .750. 

I don't expect scrubs to turn into All Stars but I don't think it's asking much to develop atleast a few into atleast serviceable hitters when other teams are able to do it with 5 or 6 guys and sometimes more.

40 minutes ago, gmoney said:

A cook is only as good as his/her ingredients.  

This take is so wrong it's actually right.

Last week, I made, for a party, a broccoli casserole using canned milk, wonderbread, frozen brocolli, blocks of cheese, and generic spices. 15 people started gushing over the damn thing groveling at my feet asking to make them more food in the future. Thanks to reading Kenji Lopez, I was able to tap into empirically researched and tested recipes and knock a side dish out of the park.

I've eaten food cooked by poor cooks purchased from whole foods/Trader Joes/etc. that is inedible.

A cook and the cook's ability to leverage modern techniques can turn food from Wal Mart into fine cuisine.

35 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

A cook and the cook's ability to leverage modern techniques can turn food from Wal Mart into fine cuisine.

Hearing that people were "groveling" over broccoli casserole makes me question them as judges of food.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

This take is so wrong it's actually right.

Last week, I made, for a party, a broccoli casserole using canned milk, wonderbread, frozen brocolli, blocks of cheese, and generic spices. 15 people started gushing over the damn thing groveling at my feet asking to make them more food in the future. Thanks to reading Kenji Lopez, I was able to tap into empirically researched and tested recipes and knock a side dish out of the park.

I've eaten food cooked by poor cooks purchased from whole foods/Trader Joes/etc. that is inedible.

Hmmmm ... very interesting.  Your broccoli casserole was made with frozen brocolli.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Hearing that people were "groveling" over broccoli casserole makes me question them as judges of food.

Must have been a **** of a party.  

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Consider that casserole Max Muncy, and my friends Madison Bumgarner.