RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

FWIW, this article by the SI staff says the Tigers are the farthest away from contention of all ten teams not in the playoff hunt now. They have the Tigers not playing in October again until 2024; they put the others on track for October in 2022 or sooner:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/08/22/worst-baseball-teams-detroit-tigers-baltimore-orioles 

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

So the Tiger pitching prospects at present:

• Mize - injured
  • Manning
  • Skuball
  • F Perez - Injured
  • Faedo - Injured

Yes, pitching injuries are always a concern even in the minors.  But is Mize really injured ..or have the Tigers simply shut him down in late season to avoid potential injury?

Moreover, is it overly surprising or unusual for 40% of starting pitchers to be injured ..whether in MLB or MiLB?  

Currently in the MLB ..the following link lists 61 injured Starting Pitchers ..and 80 Relief Pitchers injured.  (All are Current)  https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-injury-report/

Many believe a team can never have enough good quality pitchers.

I think if Boyd is projected to be a plus Starting Pitcher the next 5 years .. Tigers probably should consider extending his contract instead of trading him.  Then, barring trades or injury, ..Boyd, Turnbull, Fulmer, Norris, Mize, Manning, Skubal, FPerez, Faedo, and JWentz are all in the mix for a role in the 2021 Detroit Tiger Starting Rotation.  (Boyd, Turnbull, Fulmer, Norris are already on the MLB roster.)

I wonder how many MLB teams would relish the opportunity to have their choice from among those 10 arms as potential starters a maximum 2 years from now?  At minimum, it seems an excellent start to a very good starting rotation within the next 2 years.   

Of those 10 .pitchers just named, those who fail to succeed in the Starting Rotation could potentially become bullpen arms ..perhaps along with any of JJimenez, BBurrows, BGarcia, ACastro, KFunkhouser, PRichan, ERodriguez, and CGuzman.   

So ..my thinking is that without any other transactions for the next 2 years (and we all know there may be several) ..I have listed a total of 18 arms currently under team control until 2022 and beyond.  Even if 9 or 10 of those 18 named pitchers fall flat on their faces ..the Tigers could still potentially have a competitive core pitching staff by late 2021.

OK .. admittedly .. some fans may suggest that a team can never fully project most pitchers out to 2 years into the future.  All I am trying to present is a reasonable potentially positive projection at this point in the Tigers rebuild efforts.

3 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Clueless.

They don't know what it means to stand behind your players.

We do.

Regarding baseball ..the only overall opinions and/or projections I trust more than 50% is MTS.  Truly some real baseball fans here.  Not always right but not always wrong either.  Willing to call out poor play and/or poor prospects ..but also willing to acknowledge the positive.  Have to take ALL opinions here into consideration ..and then weigh them out. 

Uh, .. .. .. .. Not giving a standing ovation to the overall baseball intelligence here on MTS ..just saying that the baseball (and Tiger) fans here most likely know more about the game and team than some keyboard punching jerko over at SI.  

In fact, as a Tiger fan since 1967 ..I credit myself with being more knowledgeable about the Tigers than most fans ..but I also realize I am merely a near-invisible blip here on MTS.  

Hey .. Thanks to MTS for being here!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

Skubal off to another ridiculous start with 6 Ks and 14 swinging strikes on 40 pitches through three so far.

5.2 IP 3H 2R 1BB 11K

Elvin Rodriguez with a good night for Lakeland: 7IP(complete MiLB game) 3H 1R 2BB 5K

Skubal really has no business being in AA with that fastball.  It is just too dominant of pitch at this point for the inferior AA batters. 

Barring a setback I would definitely start him in AAA next season.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

5.2 IP 3H 2R 1BB 11K

Elvin Rodriguez with a good night for Lakeland: 7 3H 1R 2BB 5K

86 pitches, 58 strikes, 24 swinging strikes. 

His numbers for Erie are just absurd, he's like Josh Hader except doing it for 5 innings at a time. Really looking forward to see how he does in Toledo next year.

For the sake of everybody's collective sanity, but especially mine, can we PLEASE stop mentioning the name of a certain F. Perez in any discussions of pitching prospects, at least until further notice?

Did I remember to say please?

I'm actually begging.

38 minutes ago, gzbach said:

For the sake of everybody's collective sanity, but especially mine, can we PLEASE stop mentioning the name of a certain F. Perez in any discussions of pitching prospects, at least until further notice?

I'm actually begging.

Will you promise to notify us when you deem him a prospect again?

Sam McMillan has quietly had a solid bounce back season for West Michigan. He's not hitting for any power but has a solid 17.6 K% and a terrific 17.2 BB%. Slashing .244/.402/.303 which is good for a wRC+ of 121. 

No idea how he's looking defensively, but nice to see him show some promise after a terrible year in Connecticut last year. 

14 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Sounds like the Tigers may send him to fall or winter ball. Once he is pitching agina, he will automatically become a ______________ again.

Perez is a bit mystifying...no structural issues..just...muscular weakness?   Send him to Tijuana...point him towards a random pharmacy and tell him to ask for "los anabolicos"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Perez is a bit mystifying...no structural issues..just...muscular weakness?   Send him to Tijuana...point him towards a random pharmacy and tell him to ask for "los anabolicos"

Yeah most players start to draw PED suspicion when they start showing unexplained power, for Perez it would be going more than a couple starts without getting injured.  

Judging by the numbers, Skubal seems like the #1 overall pick from last years draft.  I don't remember another pitcher blowing up AA the year after he was drafted in such a late round.  He must be really hiding the ball really well too.  Watching him on tape, he seems really tough to hit.

Just as sometimes the higher rated prospects can disappoint ..also some of the lesser rated prospects can surprise.  

Exit somebody like Perez ..enter Skubal.  Offsets like this help keep rebuild progress moving forward.

13 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Skubal off to another ridiculous start with 6 Ks and 14 swinging strikes on 40 pitches through three so far.

Is Tarik Skubal really a real person?  He's not going to go all Sidd Finch or Toe Nash on us, is he?

12 hours ago, gzbach said:

I'm actually begging.

I think Perez would do well if we had the old adopt a Tiger reincarnated.

49 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Just as sometimes the higher rated prospects can disappoint ..also some of the lesser rated prospects can surprise.  

Exit somebody like Perez ..enter Skubal.  Offsets like this help keep rebuild progress moving forward.

It is one of the truly vexing things about following prospects.  No rhyme or reason, paths just sometimes go into an unanticipated direction.

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I promise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think Perez would do well if we had the old adopt a Tiger reincarnated.

Cause you'd never have to remember to update his stats in your sig?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Cause you'd never have to remember to update his stats in your sig?

OK, you got me.  I'm just reaching for anything that might help the kid develop.

• Like 1