RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

On 8/15/2019 at 9:53 AM, 84 Lives!!! said:

Quick question: What about Azocar?

One of these guys has to make some kind of move here for it to really matter at all. Crunch time for Hill and Azocar.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm still slightly concerned with Mize cause it seems his velo is still down a couple miles per hour compared to what it was back in May pre injury.  Also it seems his command isn't as sharp as it was.   Still not overly concerned though cause this could just be a little hiccup but I think it's something to keep an eye out for.    

I'm not. Its the end of year 1 of professional baseball. Anyone who didn't except him to taper off a bit was probably kidding themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I'm not. Its the end of year 1 of professional baseball. Anyone who didn't except him to taper off a bit was probably kidding themselves. 

He did pitch 114 innings for Auburn and 13 in the minors last season.  Currently at 109 this season.

39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He did pitch 114 innings for Auburn and 13 in the minors last season.  Currently at 109 this season.

I dont think it's just the innings.

At Auburn he pitched one a week, here its every five days. It's also more intense cause most college hitters are far behind double a guys.

53 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Don't bring facts into this. 

35 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I dont think it's just the innings.

At Auburn he pitched one a week, here its every five days. It's also more intense cause most college hitters are far behind double a guys.

I don't know much about pitching in college.  I do know the term "Friday starter" basically meaning the ace of the staff.  I do know that southern schools have a broader calendar than northern schools.  I assume that the college innings are less stressful than the professional innings.

22 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I can only bring up innings pitched because that's all I've got access to.  I do wonder about some of the less quantifiable stuff (like stressful pitches) or number of pitches per season.  Or the Tigers could be tweaking some things in his mechanics that might mean less velocity but more movement right now.  I don't know.

Azocar broke into the system in 2013...in the six seasons prior to this one he hit a total of five HR's.  This season he has 10.  Are the baseball juiced?  Is Jose?

42 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You can. But dont being just some facts into this, ignoring the others 

5 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Azocar broke into the system in 2013...in the six seasons prior to this one he hit a total of five HR's.  This season he has 10.  Are the baseball juiced?  Is Jose?

Yeah, I don't see prior to this season any reason to get all hyped up about him.  He wasn't all that great in any of the levels before and it wasn't as though he was much younger than the competition.  BABIP this season (if I am calculating correctly) is .392 and he is still striking out in over a quarter if his plate appearances with very few walks.  Smells like fools gold to me.

50 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I don't see prior to this season any reason to get all hyped up about him.  He wasn't all that great in any of the levels before and it wasn't as though he was much younger than the competition.  BABIP this season (if I am calculating correctly) is .392 and he is still striking out in over a quarter if his plate appearances with very few walks.  Smells like fools gold to me.

The reason there's been hype around Azocar over the years has been the twitchy, explosive athleticism and broad range of impressive tools. Plus runner, plus glove, flashes a double plus arm, the ball jumps off his bat. The thing holding him back had always been swing and miss....he still hacks a ton, but he's showing more patience and a better overall approach in two strike counts this year.

I won't say its complete fool's gold. I do see him as a viable extra outfielder in the big leagues.

As for this year's power surge, his home park plays well for HR, and he has hit 7 of his 10 at home. Combine that with some maturation in the approach, and there you have it.

18 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

The reason there's been hype around Azocar over the years has been the twitchy, explosive athleticism and broad range of impressive tools. Plus runner, plus glove, flashes a double plus arm, the ball jumps off his bat. The thing holding him back had always been swing and miss....he still hacks a ton, but he's showing more patience and a better overall approach in two strike counts this year.

I won't say its complete fool's gold. I do see him as a viable extra outfielder in the big leagues.

As for this year's power surge, his home park plays well for HR, and he has hit 7 of his 10 at home. Combine that with some maturation in the approach, and there you have it.

Azocar's 1st half/2nd half splits looks like he has been varying his approach. 1st half more walks/OBP, 2nd half fewer walks, more ISO. Funny thing is that the OPS is about same both ways.

38 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

You make it very hard to be irrationally exuberant or pessimistic when you post this kind of stuff.

;)

De La Cruz leads the DSL with 11 Hr's...imagine that...a guy in a Tigers uniform leads his league in HR's

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You can. But dont being just some facts into this, ignoring the others 

well, his arm already decided once this season it was tired, regardless of the innings pitched number - so there is that to consider.

3 hours ago, leflore said:

One of the "scouts" Fenech quotes sees Det's pitching prospects as "middle of the pack?" I find that hard to believe. Sometimes I think Fenech just makes **** up.

Is it good though? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Microline133 said:

Thank you, I appreciate the scouting summary to add some context.

19 minutes ago, Longgone said:

That's not what it says.

OK....So to be more precise I'll quote Fenech:

The Tigers have spoken publicly about their desire to return to contention by 2021. But when they do, will their starting pitchers be ready?

Given their developments so far, it seems likely. But as likely will be a number of bumps in the road, as scouts point to pitchers who are playing down to their competition level with unrefined repertoires.

Take Skubal, and the absence of a shut-down breaking ball.

All better now?

4 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

All better now?

Only if he gets us some doughnuts as a peace offering.

9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

OK....So to be more precise I'll quote Fenech:

All better now?

Not having a "shut down" breaking ball is no where near the same thing as "having no breaking ball."

1 minute ago, MDMAzing said:

Not having a "shut down" breaking ball is no where near the same thing as "having no breaking ball."

Thank you, I never knew that.   

Good lord the sarcasm meters around here are faulty.   In case both you and Longgone missed it I was busting Fenech's chops a bit.

That said, throwing mediocre breaking balls in MLB is a recipe for disaster and maybe worse than having none at all - but I'm guessing you know that.