RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just for comparison, Hill has roughly 1900 PA, Cameron about 1800, Hill is one year older.

Jones had about 2000 PA in the minors and has nearly 1000 at MLB.

Wow, they grow up so fast.

I've only seen Daz highlights. Based on performance he seems to have a ceiling of being a 20/20 guy who hits .230-.270 and plays above average defense.  Jones showed signs that maybe he can be similar but he is 5 years older. Imho Hill projects to be a 4th OFer. His D is so strong (BA recently pegged him as best D OFer in the eastern league) that I still think he'll have some years up in the bigs.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

just to follow up on my last post, Hill is still just 23, which is young for AA (though not exceedingly, like Paredes), and has only been able to average 77 games/324 AB's per season.  Kid is still developing.

Or is injury prone.   Let's hope it's developing.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How hot is Hill's mother?

7.1 on the Steph Curry mom scale.

24 minutes ago, leflore said:

I've only seen Daz highlights. Based on performance he seems to have a ceiling of being a 20/20 guy who hits .230-.270 and plays above average defense.  Jones showed signs that maybe he can be similar but he is 5 years older. Imho Hill projects to be a 4th OFer. His D is so strong (BA recently pegged him as best D OFer in the eastern league) that I still think he'll have some years up in the bigs.

A lot depends on whether Hill sustains what he is doing now. He's had hot streaks before and cooled off. But for the sake of argument, assume he has reached a new level since July. He has 14 HR and and 820 OPS (post ASB) at AA compared to Daz having a year that has shown no improving trend with 10HR and 710 OPS at AAA. Both still K much too much.  Not a whole lot to choose between the two right now in terms of who in on the better track.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

A lot depends on whether Hill sustains what he is doing now. He's had hot streaks before and cooled off. But for the sake of argument, assume he has reached a new level since July. He has 14 HR and and 820 OPS at AA compared to Daz having a year that has shown no improving trend with 10HR and 710 OPS at AAA. Both still K much too much.  Not a whole lot to choose between the two right now in terms of who in on the better track.

I like your optimism and I hope he does continue to build on this year. If all 3 can have ops ~ .800 imagine that outfield defense - perfect for Comerica. 

He's a sub .700 OPS 1B....so I'm sure we jumped on him when he became available

I am anxious to see how the Tigers handle Paredes. The guy looks like a star in the making. 20 in AA and really warming up. 

I haven’t been impressed with Rogers’ defense at catcher. He’s going to be elite at throwing attempted base stealers out, but that’s only one small part. His pitch framing needs work and he’s struggled with blocking balls in the dirt. He already has several passed balls. He still needs a lot of refinement defensively and that wasn’t how he was billed. 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

With Hill's speed and defense, which are both superior to Jones, he would be a big league regular if he can maintain a .725+ OPS.  He should absolutely be protected at this point--will be interesting to see if his power continues and how we responds to AAA pitching.  His development has been stalled by injuries, so even though he's been in the system for a long time, his actual number of games played/AB's does not reflect that.

We left him unprotected last year and nobody touched him.

There are way more important prospects to protect this year.

Face it hill is a bust. It happens. But good fielding outfielders who csnt hit are a dime a dozen.

14 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think it will depend on how he finishes. Finishing a AA season on an 50 game upward trajectory could be more attractive than a poor and flat season at A+ was. I'd still have to agree he'd be a long shot to lose as a rule 5 all the way from AA.

46 minutes ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I am anxious to see how the Tigers handle Paredes. The guy looks like a star in the making. 20 in AA and really warming up. 

His has 49K and 49 BB right now. Somewhere Victor Martinez should be smiling.

49 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

He's a sub .700 OPS 1B....so I'm sure we jumped on him when he became available

I agree, but it's weird there was no mention of it anywhere.

Actually, given Detroit's garbage beat writers, it makes sense

25 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Face it hill is a bust. It happens. But good fielding outfielders who csnt hit are a dime a dozen.

He went unclaimed because he was coming off 4 straight years of injuries.

He is still only 23, has played an injury-free year and his ops is up 90 points. Still too low, but I agree if his trajectory continues upward he is still young enough, and good enough on defense to view him as a prospect. 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

With Hill's speed and defense, which are both superior to Jones, he would be a big league regular if he can maintain a .725+ OPS.  He should absolutely be protected at this point--will be interesting to see if his power continues and how we responds to AAA pitching.  His development has been stalled by injuries, so even though he's been in the system for a long time, his actual number of games played/AB's does not reflect that.

Quick question: What about Azocar?

57 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

WTF... 

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Kacy Clemens? Was looking up some stats to see how Jake Thompson is doing and I noticed Kacy's stats at Lakeland. Not that he is a prospect,  but did Det pick him up?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/teams/3183/lakeland-flying-tigers/stats/

Kody Clemens, not Kacy. He was a high-round draft choice in 2018 that they've already pushed to High-A.

7 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

Kody Clemens, not Kacy. He was a high-round draft choice in 2018 that they've already pushed to High-A.

Click on the link. I know Cody is in the system. That link has Kacy going 2-4 with 2 doubles, batting .500 for Lakeland

8 minutes ago, Microline133 said:

they are showing Kacy is on the team, too.  Maybe Roger asked to have the brothers together to reduce his travel.

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

they are showing Kacy is on the team, too.  Maybe Roger asked to have the brothers together to reduce his travel.

I wonder if Richard Verlander ever tried that one for Ben?

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

WTF...

WTF what?

We left him unprotected last year no? 

There are more important people to protect this year no?

A 24 year old first round pick who hasn't made it past Double a isn't a bust?