RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Agree. I think Manning could be called up  in as little as a month or 6wks if he doesn't falter though. I'll be interested to see how they manage Mize's innings early in the season - whether they slow walk him early so he would be able to work in Sept without running over his cap.

Next year's going to be fun.

Not from a winning standpoint... but to see what a lot of these new kids can do...

There'll be new kids popping up all season long too...

38 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Next year's going to be fun.

Not from a winning standpoint... but to see what a lot of these new kids can do...

There'll be new kids popping up all season long too...

I agree.  We're still going to be really bad next year but I think it will be more enjoyable to watch cause atleast we will likely see guys that could be part of our future.

That is what really sucks this year aside from all the losing.  Most of the guys on the team are likely AAAA type players, or castoffs who aren't going to be apart of the future.    

Next season we will likely see a few different pitchers that could be along with maybe Paredes, Willi, Daz and a full season of Rogers.  

Plus we can still hold out hope for Candalario, Stewart and Jones(he was showing progression offensively until the injuries) so we'll have that to pay attention to as well.  

• Double-A Erie right-hander Alex Faedo, ranked as the Tigers’ No. 9 prospect by MLB Pipeline, was placed on the seven-day injured list on Saturday with a back strain. Faedo, the club's first-round pick in the 2017 MLB Draft, ranks second among Eastern League pitchers with 130 strikeouts over 112 1/3 innings, trailing only teammate Matt Manning.

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree.  We're still going to be really bad next year but I think it will be more enjoyable to watch cause atleast we will likely see guys that could be part of our future.

That is what really sucks this year aside from all the losing.  Most of the guys on the team are likely AAAA type players, or castoffs who aren't going to be apart of the future.    

Next season we will likely see a few different pitchers that could be along with maybe Paredes, Willi, Daz and a full season of Rogers.  

Plus we can still hold out hope for Candalario, Stewart and Jones(he was showing progression offensively until the injuries) so we'll have that to pay attention to as well.  

I believe the ship has already set sail for Candalario.  He shows zero competence at the plate.  And for people who want to move him to first base...why?  First base is usually the easiest position to fill with a guy who can hit for power.  Why have a guy who can't hit at a premium hitter's position?  Jones is just a great athlete who can play center field regularly and be respectable at the plate.  Stewart really struggled this year.

35 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I believe the ship has already set sail for Candalario.  He shows zero competence at the plate.  And for people who want to move him to first base...why?  First base is usually the easiest position to fill with a guy who can hit for power.  Why have a guy who can't hit at a premium hitter's position?  Jones is just a great athlete who can play center field regularly and be respectable at the plate.  Stewart really struggled this year.

Candelario's LH heat maps look bad, very poor plate coverage. Right down the middle and down and in are the only pitches he hits at all. Easily pitchable for anyone with command.

Waldon reports Faedo to IL with back strain. One of the guys who they no doubt wanted to get get more work this year will lose some.

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I don't think AA lets any of those three break ST with the team... they'll start at Toledo...

So aside from Turnbull & Boyd, we get flotsam and jetsam to start the season next year. No sarcasm required...

:wink:

I figured the Jackson thing might have been a clue.

But for him, seriously, the Tigers really needed that start.  And he id probably a guy to have around for Rogers and for the younger pitchers as they trickle on up.

56 minutes ago, gmoney said:

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Candelario's LH heat maps look bad, very poor plate coverage. Right down the middle and down and in are the only pitches he hits at all. Easily pitchable for anyone with command.

I think he has next year to prove something, and then that's probably it.  Its too bad if it doesn't work out, he seemed to have promise of being every day solid if unspectacular.

I don't think Stewart is long for the OF.  I would consider working him out at 1B over the winter and next spring.  If it works, it works.  If it doesn't, well, are they any worse off for trying?

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

... Plus we can still hold out hope for ... Jones (he was showing progression offensively until the injuries) so ...

Specifically with Jones...

Whatever he tweaked, or fixed or whatever in his swing mechanics, it seemed to take effect after Memorial Day weekend around May 5th I think it was...?

From May 5th until his injury: 65 games, 270 PA's. In 240 AB's, he slashed .258/ .341/ .483 for a .824 OPS with 10 HR's and 3 triples included. Also add in 6 out of 8 successful stolen bases. A full season of that is a more than useful player in CF. The big question is can he do that over 600+ PA's?

10 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Specifically with Jones...

Whatever he tweaked, or fixed or whatever in his swing mechanics, it seemed to take effect after Memorial Day weekend around May 5th I think it was...?

From May 5th until his injury: 65 games, 270 PA's. In 240 AB's, he slashed .258/ .341/ .483 for a .824 OPS with 10 HR's and 3 triples included. Also add in 6 out of 8 successful stolen bases. A full season of that is a more than useful player in CF. The big question is can he do that over 600+ PA's?

I couldn't remember if it was mentioned that he shortened his swing or revamped some other mechanics this season or not.  But it is a shame he was doing so well and then gets knocked out for the season.  Its especially tough when you consider he lost a good amount of time in a previous season after having his jaw broken by a pitch.

On those AAAA players... I think the team needs to go through an evaluation process with them:

Are they keepers? As utility players (Dixon/ Niko/ etc.); or are they throw-ins on another trade? Plus you keep a few guys in Toledo that can help out if needed.

I think several starters (Wentz/ E Rodriguez/ etc...) might get hung up in Toledo as 6th/ 7th/ 8th starters, unable to break into the MLB rotation when we have better options.

Same thing with the AAAA players... figure out where to utilize them (bench, Toledo, trade throw-ins...) and just keep moving...

Just now, 84 Lives!!! said:

On those AAAA players... I think the team needs to go through an evaluation process with them:

Are they keepers? As utility players (Dixon/ Niko/ etc.); or are they throw-ins on another trade? Plus you keep a few guys in Toledo that can help out if needed.

I think several starters (Wentz/ E Rodriguez/ etc...) might get hung up in Toledo as 6th/ 7th/ 8th starters, unable to break into the MLB rotation when we have better options.

Same thing with the AAAA players... figure out where to utilize them (bench, Toledo, trade throw-ins...) and just keep moving...

If Niko and Dixon just keep hitting, theres a spot for them as bench players.  Both competent multi-position players with good speed on the bases.

I think between now and the trade deadline next year is gonna be it for several guys- especially some of these bullpen pitchers.  Im all for giving Alexander, Schreiber, Cisnero, Jimenez, Soto, Hall, etc looks between now and then....but theyve gotta show us something before Fulmer and the real prospects start popping up in Detroit if they want to have a big league career.

1 minute ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I think we'll see utility players around until guys start locking into positions.  Candelario & Stewart's failures and the lack of true positional prospects kind of put a damper on that now.  I can see rolling into next season with Goodrum, CastroH, and Dixon penciled into the roster just for flexibility reasons as well as the fact that they aren't really getting bumped off by anyone else.  Mercer could be replaced by CastroW.  Dixon has been a handy 1B/OF.  CastroH might find his way into 2B duty, or at the very least, a lefty bat with defensive flexibility.  I would guess we can bid a fond farewell to the Ronny Rodriguez experience in Detroit.

I wouldn't worry too much about an overload of starting pitching.  Attrition is a real possibility, but even if that doesn't whittle things down to capacity or below, the Tigers could always move arms for bats.

There's that too.

Definitely can see an extra arm or two being traded for a bat. I think teams will come-a-calling...

But I'd like to see the BP fleshed out first. Some of those who lose out in the rotation (Funk, Norris/ Fulmer/ Burrows/ Faedo all on the fence, etc.) may be useful there; and I'd like to think we could build a competent BP before trading off arms.

Forgot about Harold... but he's an excellent bench player for us. Yeah, include him with Niko & Dixon...

What do you think of Leyland's recent comments that he doesn't see W Castro at ss in Det?

5 minutes ago, leflore said:

What do you think of Leyland's recent comments that he doesn't see W Castro at ss in Det?

I really sort of doubt JL is doing any serious scouting for the Tig at this point. That said, Castro has an error problem for sure, but is it his fielding or his throws? Could be a big difference in the likelihood of improvement depending on which it is.

12 minutes ago, leflore said:

I think Castro gets a shot at SS next year. Maybe he doesn't stick there long term, but there is no one standing in his way so he should get a legit opportunity.

Agree with the Jeimer comments. The bat so far can't play at 3b. Maybe there's some hope that he can get there, but no way he's playing 1st base for the next good team. Paredes could be playing there this time next year, so again, agree that next year is somewhat make or break for Jeimer and Lugo.

Jeimer's wrist is always going to be a concern...who knows, it may be bothering him more than he's said thgis season

Just put Dixon at first base the rest of the season and see what he is all about.  Who else do they have to play there anyway?  Let Lugo play 3rd for the rest of the year.  Candelario is fine at Toledo.  Neither of those guys are going to make it anyway.

3 hours ago, leflore said:

He is a more qualified opinion than any of us.  But I would guess he’s not batting 1.000 on predicting player futures.  I’d like to see him get a shot at SS in Detroit just to see how it goes.  I saw him play a game and he’s seemed fine with good range and a good arm.  Yes, I know, one game, and I’m a hack even if it were multiple games.

3 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Jeimer's wrist is always going to be a concern...who knows, it may be bothering him more than he's said thgis season

I wonder if giving up switch hitting might help his hitting?

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

He is a more qualified opinion than any of us.  

This is an outrageous statement.  Smokes is old and out of touch, the interwebz knows better.

1 minute ago, LooseGoose said:

This is an outrageous statement.  Smokes is old and out of touch, the interwebz knows better.

It ain’t like I’m hip and youthful.

39 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I wonder if giving up switch hitting might help his hitting?

If he actually gave up baseball it might help his hitting.