RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

not much notable tonight in the MiLB boxes. Hens lose, Cameron with 4 k, Reyes hit his 2nd HR

Lakeland lost 6-4, Clemens with 2 hits.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

not much notable tonight in the MiLB boxes. Hens lose, Cameron with 4 k, Reyes hit his 2nd HR

Lakeland lost 6-4, Clemens with 2 hits.

So far, the teams, particularly Toledo, are not meeting the somewhat high expectations. Funkhouse has been bad, Burrows not great, Faedo has disappointed in Erie, Cisnero has disappointed, Cameron and Reyes have disappointed, Ronnie's been called up. Dustin Peterson never made it to Toledo. Brandon Dixon is gone.

On the positive side, Rogers has been encouraging and of course Mize and Manning have been fine. And Skuball. And Lugo. Paredes has been OK

But unfortunately the bad outweigh the good at this point.

18 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

So far, the teams, particularly Toledo, are not meeting the somewhat high expectations. Funkhouse has been bad, Burrows not great, Faedo has disappointed in Erie, Cisnero has disappointed, Cameron and Reyes have disappointed, Ronnie's been called up. Dustin Peterson never made it to Toledo. Brandon Dixon is gone.

On the positive side, Rogers has been encouraging and of course Mize and Manning have been fine. And Skuball. And Lugo. Paredes has been OK

Hill and Gibson are off to good starts too.  It's really too early to say that anybody is succeeding or failing though. In the end, I would imagine that the bad will equal or outweigh the good throughout the system.  That's why they are called prospects. You just hope there will be enough good from the best prospects to call it a good year.  

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Wait. What? Faedo had one bad start where he got creamed, compared to two good ones, and the guy with a 1.29 era, 17 SO and 4 walks has been "not great" 

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Wait. What? Faedo had one bad start where he got creamed, compared to two good ones, and the guy with a 1.29 era, 17 SO and 4 walks has been "not great" 

I was going to comment on that too.  However, I think it's fair to say that two good starts and one bad one is "not great".  It's nothing to be concerned about, but it's "not great".  

42 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I was going to comment on that too.  However, I think it's fair to say that two good starts and one bad one is "not great".  It's nothing to be concerned about, but it's "not great".  

I don't disagree with nto saying Faedo has been awesome. But, OP said Faedo had disappointed. His improved velocity and two good starts says he has not done disappointed. 

The "Not great" was his comment on Burrows when he has been exactly the opposite, pretty great. 

14 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Cameron has a .366 OBP in AAA having just turned 22 as a CF

I'm not very disappointed with that

Not to mention he's what like 20 games into his AAA career

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If Pyro thinks you're doing OK, you're doing OK.  

You're doing OK with posts like these

Yeah so we’re not allowed to react to the Tigers starting 8-3 then we’re not allowed to react to prospects yet by saying they’re all failing.

get outta here with that trash.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't disagree with nto saying Faedo has been awesome. But, OP said Faedo had disappointed. His improved velocity and two good starts says he has not done disappointed. 

The "Not great" was his comment on Burrows when he has been exactly the opposite, pretty great. 

Yeah... a bit too early to feel any disappointments sinking in...

Early Positives/ Surprises: Hill, Lugo, Willi Castro, Beau Burrows, Zac Reininger, Rogers, Cam Gibson, Matt Manning, Mize, Faedo (despite 1 bad start...), John Schreiber, Skubal, Pinto, Nick Ames (not certain what to make of him...), Angel Reyes, Garrett Hill & Wilkel Hernandez.

Doing OK, still early: Cameron (22 in AAA... not worried...), Jose Fernandez, Paredes, Azocar, Alcantara, Burch, Simcox, Elvin Rodriguez.

Early disappointments (but... TOO EARLY!): Reyes, Funkhouser, Houston, Cisnero & Voelker, Clemens, Deatherage, Reynaldo Rivera, Parker Meadows, Adam Wolf, & Wenceel Perez...

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Faedo and Burrows are both coming off significant off-season downgrades on the prospect lists because of their '18 performance. So they are on a shorter leash, so to speak, from a fan patience standpoint. So when Faedo gave up 4 HR's in 1+ innings last time out, yeah, I'm disappointed. Burrows has gone like 3 innings in his last two starts.  Yeah, he gets pulled because of his pitch count. I'm, disappointed he can't get through 4 innings on a decent pitch count, being a recent high first round draft pick. Having written that, he's having a nice outing against the Clippers today.

I think I was looking at Daz's 4 K's yesterday. Doug gave him the day off today.

Yeah, Hill's been great. 

And this Mahtook guy is having a great start for the hens. He just tripled in 2 runs.

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Faedo and Burrows are both coming off significant off-season downgrades on the prospect lists because of their '18 performance. So they are on a shorter leash, so to speak, from a fan patience standpoint. So when Faedo gave up 4 HR's in 1+ innings last time out, yeah, I'm disappointed. Burrows has gone like 3 innings in his last two starts.  Yeah, he gets pulled because of his pitch count. I'm, disappointed he can't get through 4 innings on a decent pitch count, being a recent high first round draft pick. Having written that, he's having a nice outing against the Clippers today.

I think I was looking at Daz's 4 K's yesterday. Doug gave him the day off today.

Yeah, Hill's been great. 

And this Mahtook guy is having a great start for the hens. He just tripled in 2 runs.

The great part is that the "fan patience" meter means nothing.

4 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Faedo and Burrows are both coming off significant off-season downgrades on the prospect lists because of their '18 performance.

Ok great. What does that have to do with your mischaracterization of their performance this year?

4 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yeah... a bit too early to feel any disappointments sinking in...

Early Positives/ Surprises: Hill, Lugo, Willi Castro, Beau Burrows, Zac Reininger, Rogers, Cam Gibson, Matt Manning, Mize, Faedo (despite 1 bad start...), John Schreiber, Skubal, Pinto, Nick Ames (not certain what to make of him...), Angel Reyes, Garrett Hill & Wilkel Hernandez.

Doing OK, still early: Cameron (22 in AAA... not worried...), Jose Fernandez, Paredes, Azocar, Alcantara, Burch, Simcox, Elvin Rodriguez.

Early disappointments (but... TOO EARLY!): Reyes, Funkhouser, Houston, Cisnero & Voelker, Clemens, Deatherage, Reynaldo Rivera, Parker Meadows, Adam Wolf, & Wenceel Perez...

Reynaldo Rivera I'm about ready to write him off. He's struggled at eveyr level and only getting worse. 

Parker I wouldn't call a disappointment, because he can barely serve in the military and he's playing full season ball. He's gonna struggle early while he adjusts. 

11 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Ok great. What does that have to do with your mischaracterization of their performance this year?

Read the rest of the post. To only quote a portion of a post and then say it doesn't make sense doesn't work.

I hope Faedo is good but he gave up 4 homers in 1+ innings. Four. That's not a good sign for a guy coming off a season bad enough for him to get dropped from Top prospect lists.

Oh, and Burrows gave up 4 in the 5th today.

17 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

... Parker I wouldn't call a disappointment, because he can barely serve in the military and he's playing full season ball. He's gonna struggle early while he adjusts. 

I meant only a disappointment early in this season... but it's too early to really be calling that out.

In fact my overriding point is that it is just WAY too early to be calling out anyone this season as an actual disappointment...

I'm in agreement with everyone in here except CMD. It's just too early.

Even given Faedo's 4 HR's in 1 inning. Which I don't really care about BTW... talk to me at the end of this season about any evaluation on Faedo. And Meadows. And Reyes. And others...

Except maybe Reynaldo. He really has been sucking wind at every level.

Still...

I meant late April level disappointment which does not result in cutting anyone or removing them from the rotation. My comments started with the Hens having a record of 5 - 10 which is indeed lower than most if not all of us expected them to be, and how did they get there? And Erie being at or near .500. I think we expected and projected better results.

5 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I mean't late April level disappointment which does not result in cutting anyone or removing them from the rotation. My comments started with the Hens having a record of 5 - 10 which is indeed lower than most if not all of us expected them to be, and how did they get there? And Erie being at or near .500. I think we expected and projected better results.

Toledo pitching has certainly underperformed teamwide. Third worst WHIP in their league.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Toledo pitching has certainly underperformed teamwide. Third worst WHIP in their league.

The wind has been blowing out.

25 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

The wind has been blowing out.

is the ball park in Erie aligned the same way as in Toledo?

(EDIT: west wind blows out to Center at 5/3, blows out to right in Erie - so pretty much!)

22 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I meant late April level disappointment which does not result in cutting anyone or removing them from the rotation. My comments started with the Hens having a record of 5 - 10 which is indeed lower than most if not all of us expected them to be, and how did they get there? And Erie being at or near .500. I think we expected and projected better results.

These are all very small sample sizes, and by the very nature of baseball, mean very little.

• Like 1