RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Hardball Times sleepers

Sleeper Prospect No. 4 – Jacob Robson (Profile)

Robson has a lot of potential to be a swing change monster. He had one of the highest ground ball rates in the high minors, clocking in at 58.8 percent at Double-A and 57.4 percent at Triple-A. Robson and Shed Long are the only batters under the age of 24 to post double-digit home runs with a groundball rate north of 55 percent. Despite the low launch angle approach, Robson has performed at every level, posting wRC+ of 131, 119, 133 and 127 at the fourhighest levels of the minors.

Robson is a 70 runner, who’s had a nearly flawless track record of performance, with no big holes in his game, other than a little swing and miss. Robson is a swing change away from exploding onto the scene and surprising a lot of people. He also doesn’t have a ton of depth blocking him from a roster spot in Detroit.

• Like 2

Willi Castro with 2 errors in the first two innings at Toledo...not helping out the funk man.

31 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Robson is 5'10" , 175, bats left, throws right, is Canadian...he's me.

I think he's faster.

24 minutes ago, kdog said:

Willi Castro with 2 errors in the first two innings at Toledo...not helping out the funk man.

That plus some walks drove Funkhouser's pitch count up to 77, so it looks like he'll be done after 3 with 4 hits, 3 BB, 4 Ks.

I get the sense that Casey Mize doesn't want to hang out in Lakeland any longer than necessary.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Walewander said:

I get the sense that Casey Mize doesn't want to hang out in Lakeland any longer than necessary.

Nice to see him get off to a great start after he supposedly was not throwing that well in that last minor league spring training game.  

Also, both Cameron and Robson are 1-2 for 2 walks a piece in the Mud Hens first game so a productive first game for both of them as well.  

51 minutes ago, Walewander said:

01C6F5C1-EAD0-4C7C-9182-BC2D66FA73FA.thumb.jpeg.cbc4414483cdbca03b3aa031aec38278.jpeg

7 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Hardball Times sleepers

Sleeper Prospect No. 4 – Jacob Robson (Profile)

Robson has a lot of potential to be a swing change monster. He had one of the highest ground ball rates in the high minors, clocking in at 58.8 percent at Double-A and 57.4 percent at Triple-A. Robson and Shed Long are the only batters under the age of 24 to post double-digit home runs with a groundball rate north of 55 percent. Despite the low launch angle approach, Robson has performed at every level, posting wRC+ of 131, 119, 133 and 127 at the fourhighest levels of the minors.

Robson is a 70 runner, who’s had a nearly flawless track record of performance, with no big holes in his game, other than a little swing and miss. Robson is a swing change away from exploding onto the scene and surprising a lot of people. He also doesn’t have a ton of depth blocking him from a roster spot in Detroit.

Interesting, the reports I have seen about Robeson in the past were more pessimistic about his hitting.

6 hours ago, Hart said:

Nice to see him get off to a great start after he supposedly was not throwing that well in that last minor league spring training game.  

Also, both Cameron and Robson are 1-2 for 2 walks a piece in the Mud Hens first game so a productive first game for both of them as well.  

Even more noteworthy is Lugo also had two walks, already surpassing his walk total from all of last season.

11 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Robson appears to have had a excellent OBP at all levels so far.

the knock was that he had totaled only 4 hr  in his first two season. The 11 last season was a step forward for him. He turns 24 this season so he has a little clock left, but not much. You just have to look at guys like Mahtook, McCann, Jones to see that not many guys improve their hitting much once they get to their mid-twenties.

I used to feel that guys like Robson with a little bat skill have a better shot at improving their power than young sluggers who can't get on base have of improving their OBP, but I don't think baseball people agree and even less so today with the game so HR dominated.

Fangraph's not very optimistic Top 26 list.

I don't get the trade Mize theory. He is not going to pitch in Detroit until May 2020, so the Tigers will have him under control thru 2026.

If they don't expect the Tigers to be competitive in that window, well, they should just contract the team then.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-26-prospects-detroit-tigers/

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Fangraph's not very optimistic Top 26 list.

I don't get the trade Mize theory. He is not going to pitch in Detroit until May 2020, so the Tigers will have him under control thru 2026.

If they don't expect the Tigers to be competitive in that window, well, they should just contract the team then.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-26-prospects-detroit-tigers/

I think the theory is simply that true contention won’t begin until Mize is a couple years into his MLB career. So in that sense, those early years are wasted. 

Of course, as we have seen so far this season, the tigers are going to be surprise contenders right now, so I expect to see Mize up with the team in August as part of the playoff push. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Even more noteworthy is Lugo also had two walks, already surpassing his walk total from all of last season.

Lugo was also at 3B, for what its worth.

17 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting, the reports I have seen about Robeson in the past were more pessimistic about his hitting.

I thought the criticism was centered around his lack of power.  There may have been some question about his throwing arm, too, not sure.

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the knock was that he had totaled only 4 hr  in his first two season. The 11 last season was a step forward for him. He turns 24 this season so he has a little clock left, but not much. You just have to look at guys like Mahtook, McCann, Jones to see that not many guys improve their hitting much once they get to their mid-twenties.

I used to feel that guys like Robson with a little bat skill have a better shot at improving their power than young sluggers who can't get on base have of improving their OBP, but I don't think baseball people agree and even less so today with the game so HR dominated.

I suspect it has more to do with there aren't too many guys that can maintain a high OBP with little to no power in the majors rather than baseball people being predisposed to not like guys who rarely homer.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Hart said:

Cameron ended up with 1 hit, 2BB, and 1 HBP, in 5 plate appearances, so his OBP is .800.  On the other hand, he was caught stealing once and was thrown out at third.  I'm not sure how he was thrown out at third, he was on first and the batter hit a double.  Maybe caught rounding the base?

Edit:  Daz was thrown out at home, not 3rd.

Edited by apabruce
correction

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think the theory is simply that true contention won’t begin until Mize is a couple years into his MLB career. So in that sense, those early years are wasted. 

Of course, as we have seen so far this season, the tigers are going to be surprise contenders right now, so I expect to see Mize up with the team in August as part of the playoff push. 

Or he could be traded for a 32-year-old pitcher having a career year.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Or he could be traded for a 32-year-old pitcher having a career year.  

Did DD come back to GM the tigers?

The Tigers don't need all those weak hitting middle infielders that Avila traded for in the last few seasons.  The Tigers already have the market cornered with weak hitting middle infielders in the majors.

Matt Manning went 5 IP, 1H, 1R, 3BB, 5K for Erie

Paredes HR, 2 hits(Erie)

Cameron 3K for Toledo

Castro 2H (Toledo)

Derek Hill, 3-5 (Erie)

I know I’m in the minority, but I still believe he can be good if he can stay healthy for 500 ab’s

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Derek Hill, 3-5 (Erie)

I know I’m in the minority, but I still believe he can be good if he can stay healthy for 500 ab’s

It would shock me, I've lost all optimism for him developing.