calpon

Lloyd McClendon

11 hours ago, kj2018 said:

Just for comprison;s sake:

The Dodgers hit 8 home runs in their first game, the tigers have 7 total runs in 5 games (one on a bases loaded walk, and one on a combo WP/throwing error)

Baltimore got 5 runs off the Toronto starter tonight in 2 innings, the Tigers got 0 in 24 innings.

The Tigers have 21 hits total in 5 games.

The Tigers have 50 strikeouts in 5 games.

Small sample size, but man, that is bad.  For comparison sake, this is equivalent to the first half of the first quarter of an NFL season, or the first two games of an NBA season, so an extremely small sample size, but wow.

Here are the batting averages of the Tigers hitters after the game tonight:

Harrison .067 (2 walks, 5 K's)

Nick .263 (3 walks 7 K's)

Miggy .118 (3 walks 5 K's)

Goodrum (he has been okay so far) .250 (4 walks 5 K's)

Candy .273 (0 walks, 8 K's)

Stewart .063 (4 walks 8 K's)

Greiner .125 (0 walks 5 K's)

Mahtook .000 (1 walk 9 K's)

Mercer . 154 (2 walks 4 K's)

Hicks .000 (1 walk  0 K's)

Peterson .000 (0 walks 1K)

Beckham .000 (1 walk 2 K's)

as a team they have 5 doubles (3 by Goodrum) and 1 home run.

They have somehow managed to win 2 of the 5 games thus far.

Thiiird in the league in WHIP and Average against.

13 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I took it as sarcasm, and decided to pretend that it was a test to see if we were paying attention.  I gave you enough credit to assume that you knew that the Tigers played that first series indoors.  Maybe my intentions were less apparent than your sarcasm.  But even if I failed in that regard, I am still not borderline arrogant.

Early season games. It doesn't matter if it's indoors, outdoor, East Coast or West Coast.  It's still early season games, where the theory goes that the pitchers are ahead of the hitters. I think we have this same discussion every single season. Maybe we can call it a tradition?

And I totally disagree with Hall-Of-Fame broadcaster Jack "Arrogant" Morris. The strikeout isn't the worse thing a hitter can do under certain circumstances.  Bases loaded no outs/one out? Would Jack prefer a first pitch GB one hopper to the SS? Or an 8 pitch strikeout? With nobody on base,  a strikeout is an out, the same as a pop up, ground ball or fly out. But it could help drive up a pitchers pitch count. Just another meaningless stat. I can't wait until mid-season when Jack tells us how good or bad a pitcher is by his won/loss record. /s

26 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Early season games. It doesn't matter if it's indoors, outdoor, East Coast or West Coast.  It's still early season games, where the theory goes that the pitchers are ahead of the hitters. I think we have this same discussion every single season.

And two series on the road before a team's home opener is also kind of crazy. They could at least give the players a couple of days off at the end of ST so that they could get situated in their home cities before 8-10 days on the road. I know teams want to start the season with their pitching rotation lined up and that stuff like that isn't supposed to distract 'Professionals' but you know it does - and probably worse for team with more turnover. If my quick addition is correct (probably not!), home teams are ~24 games over 500 as of this morning.

Look, when you have talent like leadoff Josh Harrison and clean up niko goodrum, it's just a matter of time before things turn around 

14 hours ago, kj2018 said:

They're a very scrappy bunch.

14 hours ago, kj2018 said:

Just for comprison;s sake:

The Dodgers hit 8 home runs in their first game, the tigers have 7 total runs in 5 games (one on a bases loaded walk, and one on a combo WP/throwing error)

Baltimore got 5 runs off the Toronto starter tonight in 2 innings, the Tigers got 0 in 24 innings.

The Tigers have 21 hits total in 5 games.

The Tigers have 50 strikeouts in 5 games.

Small sample size, but man, that is bad.  For comparison sake, this is equivalent to the first half of the first quarter of an NFL season, or the first two games of an NBA season, so an extremely small sample size, but wow.

Here are the batting averages of the Tigers hitters after the game tonight:

Harrison .067 (2 walks, 5 K's)

Nick .263 (3 walks 7 K's)

Miggy .118 (3 walks 5 K's)

Goodrum (he has been okay so far) .250 (4 walks 5 K's)

Candy .273 (0 walks, 8 K's)

Stewart .063 (4 walks 8 K's)

Greiner .125 (0 walks 5 K's)

Mahtook .000 (1 walk 9 K's)

Mercer . 154 (2 walks 4 K's)

Hicks .000 (1 walk  0 K's)

Peterson .000 (0 walks 1K)

Beckham .000 (1 walk 2 K's)

as a team they have 5 doubles (3 by Goodrum) and 1 home run.

2017 Tigers: 64-98

2018 Tigers: 64-98

2/5 x 162 = 64.8.

I'm sensing a pattern here.

I am so out of the loop due to my own personal schedule that I didn't even realize that Legendary Lloyd was the hitting coach. I assumed, incorrectly, that since this thread was started yesterday, that this was an April Fools joke.

I haven't seen, heard or followed a single game yet this year. I have too much on my plate.

25 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I am so out of the loop due to my own personal schedule that I didn't even realize that Legendary Lloyd was the hitting coach. I assumed, incorrectly, that since this thread was started yesterday, that this was an April Fools joke.

I haven't seen, heard or followed a single game yet this year. I have too much on my plate.

Well now, there’s the problem right there! Obviously you’re putting yourself before the team. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Well now, there’s the problem right there! Obviously you’re putting yourself before the team. 

........and people wonder why we're 2-3.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kj2018 said:

Small sample size, but man, that is bad.  

We agree.  Small sample sizes are bad, not just in baseball but in everything.

If it rains on a Thursday, I'm not going to say Thursdaya stink because it rains.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

........and people wonder why we're 2-3.

How did they win 2 games?

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And two series on the road before a team's home opener is also kind of crazy. They could at least give the players a couple of days off at the end of ST so that they could get situated in their home cities before 8-10 days on the road. I know teams want to start the season with their pitching rotation lined up and that stuff like that isn't supposed to distract 'Professionals' but you know it does - and probably worse for team with more turnover. If my quick addition is correct (probably not!), home teams are ~24 games over 500 as of this morning.

Yes, the 2019 Tigers will probably finish with a very poor record. Especially on the road. A 2-3 road record right now is probably better than some "experts" expected. The winning percentage is prolly better than it will be, on the road, in a couple of months.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, the 2019 Tigers will probably finish with a very poor record. Especially on the road. A 2-3 road record right now is probably better than some "experts" expected. The winning percentage is prolly better than it will be, on the road, in a couple of months.

It is somewhat unusual for a team to start the season with eight games before the first off day.  But any adverse effect of that schedule quirk on the Tigers will probably not be what keeps them out of the postseason.  Jordy Mercer should take care of that.

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

It is somewhat unusual for a team to start the season with eight games before the first off day.  But any adverse effect of that schedule quirk on the Tigers will probably not be what keeps them out of the postseason.  Jordy Mercer should take care of that.

Oh boy. Mercer, or any other position player, won't be the reason we may have a bad record. It all starts with pitching and we have a serious lack of quality arms at the major league level.

Now 10 runs scored in 6 games, with 71 strikeouts (almost 12 per game).  Much better at bats tonight they ended up with 11 hits, and put together enough to get 3 runs (5 doubles helped).

But again, 10 runs in 6 games, and the whole making more contact plan has not really worked out too well thus far

It's been dismal overall, but they hit when it counts and that's how you win championships.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's been dismal overall, but they hit when it counts and that's how you win championships.  

Clutchiness derived from grittiness inspired by Gardyness.

53 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Clutchiness derived from grittiness inspired by Gardyness.

All of which was NOT associated with Ausmusness

On 4/1/2019 at 10:14 AM, six-hopper said:

The Fewer Strikeouts Project is not, so far, an unqualified success.

And yet 2 of our 5 victories have  resulted from the go-ahead run scoring on bases loaded walks.

9 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

And yet 2 of our 5 victories have  resulted from the go-ahead run scoring on bases loaded walks.

Legendary Lloyd doesn't disclose all of his secret methods.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

What do walks have to do with strikeouts?

Once the weather warms up all our latin players will begin to hit again.