calpon

Lloyd McClendon

I think anyone with significant time in the majors knows what he should be attempting to do at the plate.  I know there are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

I also think the idea we (the fans) can see something they (players, coaches) cannot is frankly laughable and borderline arrogant.

• Like 1

The Tigers would hit better if they got better hitters.  

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

We get this kind of wisdom free, unlike the saps that pay for an inferior product elsewhere.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think anyone with significant time in the majors knows what he should be attempting to do at the plate.  I know there are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

I also think the idea we (the fans) can see something they (players, coaches) cannot is frankly laughable and borderline arrogant.

I am not borderline arrogant.

37 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

No, you're not.

Does anyone else think the cold weather of March had something to do with the slow start of the offense?

58 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I agree it's insulting to describe you as borderline arrogant.  

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Does anyone else think the cold weather of March had something to do with the slow start of the offense?

Probably not, because the roof was closed for all four of the games in Toronto.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

I say, let's try this theory of Legendary Lloyd not being a good hitting coach.  Fire him and try a new guy and see if the team's hitting improves.   I've never been a fan of him as a hitting coach.  And I do agree that the Tiger hitters look extremely unprepared when they come to the plate.  There doesn't seem to be any consistency in what they are doing and there is absolutely no team hitting philosophy that is apparent.

IIRC, Lloyd was off doing other things for a while and they had a couple of other hitting coaches (Harrah, Joyner). Didn't notice that much changed either way.

Ok some have portrayed Lloyd as anti-launch angle. I'm out.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

truth

My question is this... If Lloyd knew what he was doing, wouldn't he realize that bad hitters make him look like a bad coach and thus jump ship with his reputation intact?

Of course, from the other side... Perhaps he actually has helped a lot of these guys quite a bit and we have no idea how terrible they would be without his expertise. 

I just want to say that sixhopper has really grown on me, without losing any of the initial spark that made him... memorable. 

Six-hopper's success depends on the venue.  He hits well in the home field Tigers forum, has trouble on the road.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Six-hopper's success depends on the venue.  He hits well in the home field Tigers forum, has trouble on the road.  

He rooms with Bigglesworth and they spend too much time playing TecmoBowl and not enough time providing MTS quality material.

4 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Probably not, because the roof was closed for all four of the games in Toronto.

I forgot to use the sarcasm colored font.

I took it as sarcasm, and decided to pretend that it was a test to see if we were paying attention.  I gave you enough credit to assume that you knew that the Tigers played that first series indoors.  Maybe my intentions were less apparent than your sarcasm.  But even if I failed in that regard, I am still not borderline arrogant.

3 hours ago, Walewander said:

My question is this... If Lloyd knew what he was doing, wouldn't he realize that bad hitters make him look like a bad coach and thus jump ship with his reputation intact?

Of course, from the other side... Perhaps he actually has helped a lot of these guys quite a bit and we have no idea how terrible they would be without his expertise. 

Having a MLB coaching gig is a plum job.  He isn't quitting that to keep his reputation, as it were, in tact.

Just for comprison;s sake:

The Dodgers hit 8 home runs in their first game, the tigers have 7 total runs in 5 games (one on a bases loaded walk, and one on a combo WP/throwing error)

Baltimore got 5 runs off the Toronto starter tonight in 2 innings, the Tigers got 0 in 24 innings.

The Tigers have 21 hits total in 5 games.

The Tigers have 50 strikeouts in 5 games.

Small sample size, but man, that is bad.  For comparison sake, this is equivalent to the first half of the first quarter of an NFL season, or the first two games of an NBA season, so an extremely small sample size, but wow.

Here are the batting averages of the Tigers hitters after the game tonight:

Harrison .067 (2 walks, 5 K's)

Nick .263 (3 walks 7 K's)

Miggy .118 (3 walks 5 K's)

Goodrum (he has been okay so far) .250 (4 walks 5 K's)

Candy .273 (0 walks, 8 K's)

Stewart .063 (4 walks 8 K's)

Greiner .125 (0 walks 5 K's)

Mahtook .000 (1 walk 9 K's)

Mercer . 154 (2 walks 4 K's)

Hicks .000 (1 walk  0 K's)

Peterson .000 (0 walks 1K)

Beckham .000 (1 walk 2 K's)

as a team they have 5 doubles (3 by Goodrum) and 1 home run.

They have somehow managed to win 2 of the 5 games thus far.

Goldschmidt hit three HR’s in a single game for the Red Birds.

The Tigers will finish with a better record than the Orioles but both teams are terrible.

The Dodgers will finish 35 games ahead of the Tigers in the standings. They have a lot of good players.

This team is built to tank, no middle ground. 

10 hours ago, 1776 said:

This team is built to tank, no middle ground. 

Full steam ahead.