IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

19 hours ago, Buddha said:

they are going to be so so so bad next year.

yeah, I don't know about the "I'd like to see" part.  

30 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Don't we already have a pretty good grip on which of the current position players has a decent chance to be on the next winning Tigers team? Jake Rogers. Isn't that pretty much it? And even that depends on him hitting better than a good-hitting pitcher on an ongoing basis.

If all we have at the moment for the next winning team is Jake Rogers and bench pieces, than 2021 probably ain't happening.

At the same time it probably is worth mentioning the vast majority of MLB rosters exhibit a decent amount of turnover as well over a 2-3 year period. 

I hope Jake Rogers can put together a thirteen game or so hitting streak next year, that would make it an entertaining season 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I think its a matter of sifting through what they have available now to see what is worth holding onto.  Maybe there are a couple of bench pieces.  Maybe there is a starter or two.  Some of these guys are getting to the age where its sink or swim. 

They're going to need to augment other position players along the way, no question.  I don't pretend to believe that the group that I mentioned just simply needs experience and then the Tigers are set once Mize, Manning, Skubal, and Faedo make it to Detroit and pitch like the 90s Atlanta rotation.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

At the same time it probably is worth mentioning the vast majority of MLB rosters exhibit a decent amount of turnover as well over a 2-3 year period. 

I'll be a bit unhappy if we don't turn over the majority of our roster between now and March 26. Not doing so would seem to signal they're cheerfully all in on 100+ losses again. I don't like the front office of my favorite team trying to lose on purpose. Not even Baltimore is doing that.

I don't think we see any of the top prospects next year, either, especially if we don't have the offense and defense to support their mound efforts, which we're all but certain not to. People like to talk about seeing Mize or Manning as September call-ups, but I think it's more likely the Tigers got the memo on roster manipulation and will hold them out until at least April, 2021, if not April, 2022. No sense getting the clock ticking if we're not trying to win. We may see Funkhouser and Burrows some time next year, if not this September, especially the former since he'll already be 26 in 2020 and beyond true prospect status, so just throwing him out there won't hurt any long term plan. But I think it's just as likely we see a steady stream of guys like Bryan Garcia, Matt Hall, Gregory Soto, Anthony Castro and Alex Lange shuttling up and down I-75 all next year.

45 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'll be a bit unhappy if we don't turn over the majority of our roster between now and March 26. Not doing so would seem to signal they're cheerfully all in on 100+ losses again. I don't like the front office of my favorite tam trying to lose on purpose. Not even Baltimore is doing that.

I don't think we see any of the top prospects next year, either, especially if we don't have the offense and defense to support their mound efforts, which we're all but certain not to. People like to talk about seeing Mize or Manning as September call-ups, but I think it's more likely the Tigers got the memo on roster manipulation and will hold them out until at least April, 2021, if not April, 2022. No sense getting the clock ticking for no reason. We may see Funkhouser and Burrows some time next year, if not this September, especially the former since he'll already be 26 in 2020 and beyond true prospect status, so just throwing him out there won't hurt any long term plan. But I think it's just as likely we see a steady stream of guys like Bryan Garcia, Matt Hall, Gregory Soto, Anthony Castro and Alex Lange shuttling up and down I-75 all next year.

I am bad at the prognostication game, but 2022 seems the earliest I could see they are 0.500+.  OTOH, I am sure I would have told anyone nearing the end of the 2004 season who would listen that there was no way the Tigers could possibly win 95 games in 2006.

If those pitchers aren't in the show by 2022, then it means their development hit a snag somewhere along the way.  I don't see the Tigers sitting on them for a full season or more for service clock reasons.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am bad at the prognostication game, but 2022 seems the earliest I could see they are 0.500+.

I think this makes sense.  Even if the pitching does well, the offense is still questionable going forward.

The 2020 spring training schedules have been released. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Loss.

From the glass 1/2 full perspective....

If you expand to include those in the system - Paredes on the INF somewhere.   Maybe Willi Castro.  Can Dixon get to .800 OPS to hold down 1st?  So you're still searching for another middle infielder - can any of the other prospects play there?  Niko, Lugo, HCastro,  etc?   Probably not.  I've given up on Candelario, if that's premature could Paredes play 2nd?

If Reyes and Jake Jones both continue their upward trend at the plate then combined with their defense and base running they could play.  Demeritte and Stewart need to hit a LOT more to cover their defense.  So again looking for at least 1 more in the OF.

Assuming Rogers holds down C with a veteran back up or maybe Scivicque?

In that scenario you need a middle infielder and a corner outfielder to emerge.

The glass is like 7/8th full in that scenario.

46 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

From the glass 1/2 full perspective....

If you expand to include those in the system - Paredes on the INF somewhere.   Maybe Willi Castro.  Can Dixon get to .800 OPS to hold down 1st?  So you're still searching for another middle infielder - can any of the other prospects play there?  Niko, Lugo, HCastro,  etc?   Probably not.  I've given up on Candelario, if that's premature could Paredes play 2nd?

If Reyes and Jake Jones both continue their upward trend at the plate then combined with their defense and base running they could play.  Demeritte and Stewart need to hit a LOT more to cover their defense.  So again looking for at least 1 more in the OF.

Assuming Rogers holds down C with a veteran back up or maybe Scivicque?

In that scenario you need a middle infielder and a corner outfielder to emerge.

I like the optimism but isn't that squad maybe a 72 win team? Still need pitching.

I would consider Jones/CF , Rodgers /C and Goodrum / 2b and Reyes / LF as fixtures going into 2020. H Castro as the super utility. I would put Stewart and Greiner back in AAA since they missed so much time and sucked when playing. 

38 minutes ago, kdog said:

The glass is like 7/8th full in that scenario.

I'm a generally optimistic guy.   My Dad used to occasionally call it nearly a fault.   

Time will tell but I like to hope for the best until I'm shown it's not to be.

20 minutes ago, leflore said:

I like the optimism but isn't that squad maybe a 72 win team? Still need pitching.

Weeelllll.....lol.....I'm even more irrationally exuberant about the pitching.   Let's face it, if the pitching rebuild fails then this rebuild fails and Avila really does need to be fired.   IF the pitching comes through I like the idea of Reyes and Jones in the OF playing solid D even if they're a touch light at the plate.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

My dad would say cynics are made, not born.

It's probably true.   Personally I've had it pretty good, work life was wildly up and down but all in all I've learned that it's easier to go through life happy and optimistic.

I won't miss Castellanos next year and I don't care how many home runs he hits, now that he's been sent down to the National League.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

13-20.  But with reason for optimism.  😉