IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

2 hours ago, TallBaby said:

In other news, Jacoby reportedly done for the year with a wrist fracture

So we are calling up Ronnie R instead of Mahtook. That's gotta be hard on Mikie. I guess Harold will play left alot 'til Stew comes back, maybe?

Wow, the Astros beat the Orioles by 3 touchdowns today, 23-2. I don't think it's a slam dunk Det ends up with the worst record

44 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

So we are calling up Ronnie R instead of Mahtook. That's gotta be hard on Mikie. I guess Harold will play left alot 'til Stew comes back, maybe?

Doubt we wanna add Mikie back on the 40-man this late.  Need to put Willi Castro on it.

While Mikie would help this team now, he will not be part of the future.   Might as well see what the young guys can do.

What is Gardenhire's thinking about not having guys that actually play one position. 

Other than catcher, 3rd base, and center field, who in the **** actually has a position that they can get comfortable at?

Mercer has a few good games so the next 3 he is on the bench.  I guess he is just that much better of a manager than anyone else in world.

Why not just put a guy at a position and let him play there for a few weeks instead of this stupid musical position crap that he is intent on doing?

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

What is Gardenhire's thinking about not having guys that actually play one position. 

Other than catcher, 3rd base, and center field, who in the **** actually has a position that they can get comfortable at?

Mercer has a few good games so the next 3 he is on the bench.  I guess he is just that much better of a manager than anyone else in world.

Why not just put a guy at a position and let him play there for a few weeks instead of this stupid musical position crap that he is intent on doing?

can't disagree. They've reached the point where they have too many balls in the air. Not everyone is Don Kelly. On one hand you want to find out what guys can do, but a lot of players are not going to benefit from  being moved around as much as the Tigers are doing. 

Once Stewart is back, they just need to run with this till rosters expand

C- Rogers

1B- Dixon

2B- Castro

SS- Goodrum

3B- Lugo

LF- Stewart

CF- Reyes

RF- Demerritte

DH- Miggy

Bench: Hicks, Mercer, Beckham, Ronny

And we dont need to play 2 of the 4 bench guys every game.....maybe once a week each.  

I also dont understand the point of our bullpen strategy.  Alexander, Ramirez, Soto, Hall and VerHagen all as long relief?  Then Cisnero and Schreiber who cant be trusted in high leverage spots, Farmer and Joe.  Basically if we go to the pen before the 7th inning, we are probably losing....which will happen at least once every 5 games when Zimm comes back.

17 hours ago, leflore said:

Wow, the Astros beat the Orioles by 3 touchdowns today, 23-2. I don't think it's a slam dunk Det ends up with the worst record

and just because Baseball, the O's beat Verlander and the 'stros 8-7 today.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Verlander didn't get the decision.

Predict the lineup for Tuesday's game

1. Rodriguez 3B

2. Rogers C

3. Hicks 1B

4. Beckham SS

5. Boyd LF

6. Goodrum CF

7. Dixon DH

8 Castro RF

9 Lugo 2B

Is there any logic to how Gardenhire puts together a lineup?

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah I watched that game after the Tigers game ended. Houston scored 3 in the 9th to take the lead. Then Baltimore scored 3 in the bottom of the 9th to win. Crazy day. Minnesota scored 2 in the bottom of the 9th to tie Cleveland. Then the Indians scored 4 in the 10th. Now they're tied for 1st

24 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Verlander didn't get the decision.

Yeah - his team got him off the hook in the top of the 9th just to blow it in the bottom.

lineup orders are still relevant with this terrible of a team...man.

Having been on the road I haven’t really kept up with the news and I didn’t realize Zimmerman was out getting this nerve block thing done. It seemed like we should’ve seen him by now and  it turns out we should have. 

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Predict the lineup for Tuesday's game

1. Rodriguez 3B

2. Rogers C

3. Hicks 1B

4. Beckham SS

5. Boyd LF

6. Goodrum CF

7. Dixon DH

8 Castro RF

9 Lugo 2B

Is there any logic to how Gardenhire puts together a lineup?

He doesn’t have much to work with.  Even if the analytics department fed all the data through a futuristic bio computer they probably couldn’t come up with much of anything better.

Also, alhough I may have missed something, Gardy hasn’t got tossed lately because, just think like everyone else, I presume the fire’s gone out. 

6 hours ago, gmoney said:

But who is constantly moving around?  Castro?  Goodrum?  Dixon?  Anyone else?  Rodriguez will probably as well.  Is it obvious that the previous three are suffering from moving around?

I like the versatility.  I do understand that it isn't for every ball player.  But Goodrum has been doing it for a while.  Castro has done it in the minors quite a bit, although most of his time has been at 2B.  Dixon has done it quite a bit in the minors as well.

I can understand limiting a bit.  Maybe keep Castro in the middle IF, Dixon at 1B with an occasional game at a corner OF spot.  I'm fine with Goodrum wherever, although he hasn't had much run in CF.

I think part of this is probably out of necessity as well.  Jones out for the rest of the season throws CF in flux.  Candelario not taking over 3B hurts.  Same with Stewart in LF.  And now both are injured anyway.  Cabrera physically unable to play 1B and held out of day games after night games doesn't help.

20 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He doesn’t have much to work with.  Even if the analytics department fed all the data through a futuristic bio computer they probably couldn’t come up with much of anything better.

Also, alhough I may have missed something, Gardy hasn’t got tossed lately because, just think like everyone else, I presume the fire’s gone out. 

They need 9 Brandon Inges in order to compete.  But they would probably settle for 9 Shane Halters just to finish out the season.

25 minutes ago, Casimir said:

They need 9 Brandon Inges in order to compete.  But they would probably settle for 9 Shane Halters just to finish out the season.

We will win the World Series in 2024 when we can call up all 9 Don Kellys

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Having been on the road I haven’t really kept up with the news and I didn’t realize Zimmerman was out getting this nerve block thing done. It seemed like we should’ve seen him by now and  it turns out we should have. 

I wish I got my nerves blocked whenever he pitched for the Tigers.

Those two things are the examples Lyndon Johnson used about the difference between serving in the US House and US Senate.

15 hours ago, TallBaby said:

Once Stewart is back, they just need to run with this till rosters expand

C- Rogers

1B- Dixon

2B- Castro

SS- Goodrum

3B- Lugo

LF- Stewart

CF- Reyes

RF- Demerritte

DH- Miggy

Bench: Hicks, Mercer, Beckham, Ronny

And we dont need to play 2 of the 4 bench guys every game.....maybe once a week each.  

I also dont understand the point of our bullpen strategy.  Alexander, Ramirez, Soto, Hall and VerHagen all as long relief?  Then Cisnero and Schreiber who cant be trusted in high leverage spots, Farmer and Joe.  Basically if we go to the pen before the 7th inning, we are probably losing....which will happen at least once every 5 games when Zimm comes back.

Mercer is batting .315/.342/.548 with 5 home runs in his last 20 games.  Why would you bench him now?  

10 hours ago, Casimir said:

But who is constantly moving around?  Castro?  Goodrum?  Dixon?  Anyone else?  Rodriguez will probably as well.  Is it obvious that the previous three are suffering from moving around?

I like the versatility.  I do understand that it isn't for every ball player.  But Goodrum has been doing it for a while.  Castro has done it in the minors quite a bit, although most of his time has been at 2B.  Dixon has done it quite a bit in the minors as well.

I can understand limiting a bit.  Maybe keep Castro in the middle IF, Dixon at 1B with an occasional game at a corner OF spot.  I'm fine with Goodrum wherever, although he hasn't had much run in CF.

I think part of this is probably out of necessity as well.  Jones out for the rest of the season throws CF in flux.  Candelario not taking over 3B hurts.  Same with Stewart in LF.  And now both are injured anyway.  Cabrera physically unable to play 1B and held out of day games after night games doesn't help.

Personally I don't think there is any reason to play Castro anywhere but 2B.  With Harrison injured and now gone for good, there is a gaping hole at 2B.  Castro has hit well enough up here to play regularly.   What's the point of moving him around?  

Similar thing with Dixon and 1B.  When it was announced that Miggy would not play 1B anymore, Dixon became the primary 1B.  Again, he has hit well enough to play regularly.  So why is he still getting playing time in LF and RF?  What's the point?  

Goodrum and Beckham were signed specifically to play multiple positions and Rodriguez is also at the Major League level again, who hasn't proven to hit well enough to play regularly but can play multiple positions.  That's enough flexibility right there.  

Okay,   Josh Harrison is now gone.   Please stop allowing anyone to wear #1 until you retire it next year - Hall Of Fame or not.  

Always nice to see Eugenio Suarez has 33 home runs this season.     How's the guy we got for him doing?