IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Provided you ignore the other half of the story.

I'm not ignoring it, I am saying I don't think it is relevant.

My point is simply taking money to throw games should be enough to ban someone whether or not they actually threw games because that action alone undermines the credibility of the sport in a way that is highly damaging.  If fans simply *think* the game is fixed, the enterprise loses much of its appeal and all of its credibility.

• Like 1

The book is much better than the movie.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What other half?

My point is simply taking money to throw games should be enough to ban someone whether or not they actually did it, because that action alone undermines the credibility of the sport in a way that is highly damaging.

If Jackson made an attempt to make the self serving owner aware of the fix and the self serving owner refused to hear of it, there should be considerations beyond the accepted story line. 

Alternately, do we really want a precidence that essentially says it is ok to take money to throw games provided you ineffectually 'tell' your team about it and don't play poorly (or obviously so)?

I also note Jackson also could have told the press, called the league office, but no, he is thwarted by Grabner and we are to believe he is helpless to resist the inevitable.

That seems an awful favorable reading to me.

Watched a bit of the Twins - Indians game tonight. There's some big bodies in the AL Cent. Sano comes in at 272 lbs. But Franmill Reyes is 276.

How big is Gene Lamont?

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'll take Liev Schreiber if it helps.............Anything............

Best voice since Orson Welles.  Best actor to play Orson Welles.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'm not ignoring it, I am saying I don't think it is relevant.

My point is simply taking money to throw games should be enough to ban someone whether or not they actually threw games because that action alone undermines the credibility of the sport in a way that is highly damaging.  If fans simply *think* the game is fixed, the enterprise loses much of its appeal and all of its credibility.

Remember when everyone was up in arms for a day or two this winter when it was revealed that lineups had to be submitted to MLB before being posted publicly. 

34 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why does this team seemingly hate Willi Castro?   

Letting him work on defense every day?  The Tigers have plenty of IF options right now.  Let him play every day in Toledo, call him up in September.  I suspect he's the starting SS next season in Detroit if things go well.

16 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

How did you get the kids to sit still so you could use their fingers?  😉

With August and call ups in Sept we have a shot at that record.

Maybe, but with the Tigers already playing so many guys who don't belong in the Majors, they may not have anyone that it would make sense to call up.  On the other hand, why should they start making sense now?

Castro and Funkhouser will both be up.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:35 PM, Shelton said:

The movie is good, though. 

The movie is fantastic.

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, the considerations should be the owner also should be punished, not the player get let off the hook.  

Yep.   I can't imagine how someone can say that someone is not guilty of a crime he knowingly committed, simply because somebody else with more power knew about it.

19 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Watched a bit of the Twins - Indians game tonight. There's some big bodies in the AL Cent. Sano comes in at 272 lbs. But Franmill Reyes is 276.

How big is Gene Lamont?

Cabrera has to be 300 lbs by now.

Joe Jimenez is not a little guy either.

Yasiel Puig is a big boy too.

20 minutes ago, TallBaby said:

In other news, Jacoby reportedly done for the year with a wrist fracture

Well, there goes the wild card.

5 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Well, there goes the wild card.

Makes Avila bungling the Buck Farmer for Mike Trout deadline deal hurt even more

46 minutes ago, TallBaby said:

In other news, Jacoby reportedly done for the year with a wrist fracture

Maybe it's the increased popularity of the cutter boring in hard on guys, but it seems like guys get hit on the hands more than anywhere else anymore, and that doesn't make sense since hands can move....

Fractures of the ulna at the wrist can be tricky, hope it heals right the 1st time.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

Maybe it's the increased popularity of the cutter boring in hard on guys, but it seems like guys get hit on the hands more than anywhere else anymore, and that doesn't make sense since hands can move....

Yeah.  I cant really fault Jacoby for flinching and protecting his face first though.