IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

I was watching MLB network the other day and they were talking about how Detroit traded off all the big pieces and were in rebuild mode and were playing great etc etc...the funny thing when they mentioned trading the big pieces they said JD Martinez and ..........Avila.  lol  I know they were just struggling real quick to come up with a couple names and blanked, but it was funny.

So the MRI on Moore’s knee does reveal some degree of damage. To what degree it will change things right now is undetermined. They’re in the process of figuring all that out now.

This is a pretty big hit on the rotation right now. Moore was very good out of the gate which was a big boost. As history seems to go, I’m not optimistic about his situation. Whatever he rediscovered, the mechanics, routine, physical and mental adjustments, whatever, that made him effective will have to hit a restart, if he’s even healthy enough. I was glad to see him sign with the Tigers. I hope I’m wrong but these things always go downhill it seems. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing...

I saw recently Tyler Austin was DFA by Min... he has some power (not a lot of that in our system), can play first and a little OF and is not 'that' old... plus he already had ST ABs. He might be worth a look, though the O's could/should be interested and perhaps some other teams may be as well.

The Giants traded for him, so he's off the market.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

So the MRI on Moore’s knee does reveal some degree of damage. To what degree it will change things right now is undetermined. They’re in the process of figuring all that out now.

This is a pretty big hit on the rotation right now. Moore was very good out of the gate which was a big boost. As history seems to go, I’m not optimistic about his situation. Whatever he rediscovered, the mechanics, routine, physical and mental adjustments, whatever, that made him effective will have to hit a restart, if he’s even healthy enough. I was glad to see him sign with the Tigers. I hope I’m wrong but these things always go downhill it seems. 

I don't know if it's a big hit since I wasn't expecting much from him and still wasn't after 10 innings.  However, there was an outside shot he could rediscover himself this year and now it looks like we won't get a chance to find out.  So, that is disappointing.  I am never optimistic about knee injuries during the season.  Knees generally take a long time to fully heal.    

On Tuesday afternoon, Fox Sports Detroit will carry the first of 17 “Players Only” broadcasts this season, as they try to do something no baseball broadcast has ever done with as much frequency before.

“We’re always trying to come up with fresh ways to present televised baseball, interesting ways that benefit fans and players,” FSD general manager Greg Hammaren said. “And we thought we’d apply it to baseball where stories and experiences really help people understand the game.”

The “Players Only” broadcasts will consist of only former — and perhaps, current — players on the broadcasts, in order to bring fans closer to the heart of the game. There will not be a traditional play-by-play broadcaster calling the action, but FSD’s stable of on-air talent and others will share their real-time insights into the play on the field.

Jack Morris, Kirk Gibson, Craig Monroe, Dan Petry and special guests will be a part of all the "Players Only" shows.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/04/08/detroit-tigers-fox-sports-detroit-players-only/3394203002/

White Sox fans haven't warmed up to James McCann on twitter.

Well that sounds terrible. There isn't much of a correlation between being a good announcer and being a good baseball player.

1 minute ago, TigerNation said:

Well that sounds terrible. There isn't much of a correlation between being a good announcer and being a good baseball player.

I assume it's going to suck eggs. Action going on during the game and the "players" will be talking about 1984. Hey, it was a great season. But we've heard every story over and over and over....

So, does this mean we get to hear Jack Morris do play-by-play?  

The TV broadcast is horrible regardless of who is talking. I don’t see why these players only broadcasts are being criticized so much. Can’t be worse than listening to Shep. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The TV broadcast is horrible regardless of who is talking. I don’t see why these players only broadcasts are being criticized so much. Can’t be worse than listening to Shep. 

Wrong thread.   This should be in "Bold Predictions".

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

And former players are operating the cameras as well. And they'll be out in the truck as well. (Is there still a truck?)

But how will they handle the "pick to stick"? How is Keating going to get out of last place?

Guaranteed voices we will not hear from in the players' only broadcast:

• Lou - won't talk enough. Bottom line - that's why he's not in the Hall. Committee is worried that he won't do an acceptance speech. Committee worried that he'll pull a Lem Barney (sing his speech) or Dire Straits mark Knofler (not show up at all). Gotta love Knoffler...
  • Lem Barney - wrong sport, and he would sing anyway
  • Opera Man - he'd sing and besides, he's not a former player
  • Knofler

5 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Mark Knopfler?

Well he did teach the Deuce about money & chicks.

19 hours ago, Oblong said:

oh **** no.....

And TTB's version is shortened, they do it as a combo with one of their songs so this is pretty much all you get... but still awesome.  I saw them do it 2 years ago and it made me weepy to be honest.  Derek played in ABB and Greg was their friend and had passed a few months earlier.

Derek's dad (Butch) was the original drummer for the Allman Brother Band.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

McCann sucks.

Well, he is outhitting Chris Davis, so there is that.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Derek's dad (Butch) was the original drummer for the Allman Brother Band.

Actually, Derek is Butch’s nephew. Butch has another nephew, Duane, that has played in Widespread Panic. And...Butch is the nephew of ex-Tiger Virgil Trucks. 

21 hours ago, Oblong said:

oh **** no.....

And TTB's version is shortened, they do it as a combo with one of their songs so this is pretty much all you get... but still awesome.  I saw them do it 2 years ago and it made me weepy to be honest.  Derek played in ABB and Greg was their friend and had passed a few months earlier.

You want “weepy,” listen to ‘The Road is my Only True Friend’ off the recording ‘Southern Blood’ released after Gregg’s death. The first several times I heard that song I made sure no one was around. Yes, weepy.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Actually, Derek is Butch’s nephew. Butch has another nephew, Duane, that has played in Widespread Panic. And...Butch is the nephew of ex-Tiger Virgil Trucks. 

There's also the Allman Betts band, which is Devon Allman, Greg's son, and Duane Betts, Dickie's son.  They also have Berry Oakley, the son of the original BErry Oakley.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

McCann sucks.

McCann is hitting .316/.316/.421 so far this year.  

This is pretty interesting. 

“I’ve been asked that question: ‘What’s your pitching philosophy?’” Johnson said. “Well, I’ve got one for Mike Pineda. I’ve got a completely different one for Martin Perez or Kyle Gibson or Jake Odorizzi. Because their bodies work different, their stuff plays different, they need different things in the training room. Some guys need more momentum; some guys don’t need as much momentum. Some guys throw across their body because they’ve got loose hips, so you may not change that guy. But another guy who throws across his body, because he’s got tight hips, you’ve got to change him.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/sports/mlb-pitching-coaches-wes-johnson.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

C7FAA46F-C018-4542-9A62-FFAACE27DC2F.thumb.jpeg.3f68290b8c1a5426f5149fd497b8d671.jpeg

The save is silly stat, but you need a good bullpen to win close games. The Nats bullpen ERA is 10.17.

The Nats, Cubs and Rockies do not have a save.