IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

I wish we had added one more bat on a cheap / reasonable deal when guys were begging for jobs.  I understand teams valuing some flexibility with the DH and we aren't supposed to be trying, but I look at what Cleveland did signing a bunch of guys like Hanley / Carlos Gonzalez / Matt Joyce to minor league deals and what we have at the major league level and can't help but think one more potential bat in our lineup could have given us that much more interesting baseball and another potential trade chip.  Evan Gattis and Logan Morrison are unsigned, a guy like that to potentially add one more bat in the DH rotation would be worth any risk IMO.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

I didn't read Gardy's comment but I saw the box score where Jones fanned 3 times at High A, and then I saw the headline where he said he was ready.  I thought it was pretty funny, and I tended to agree with Jones that he was indeed ready to be Jones.

Hey, he totally got two hits yesterday.  He must be ready now.

16 minutes ago, brideck said:

Hey, he totally got two hits yesterday.  He must be ready now.

Can we risk removing Mahtook's production to find out?

On 4/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, Shelton said:

Do they present statistical trends based on one week of data and sprinkle in cutting edge comedy during these meetings? Maybe I should make a point to go. 

From my limited experience, a typical saber meeting goes like this:

(1) You go into a room of old white guys who like baseball even more than you do.  

(2) Someone gives a talk about baseball uniforms in 1893.  

(3) Someone gives a talk about how some of the new defensive measures are derived.

(4) Someone tells a story about the time he met Charlie Gehringer.    

(5) You play a trivia game when you answer 100 questions about baseball history.  You can only answer eight of them.  The 95-year old man sitting next to you answers all of them correctly. 

(6) A scout tells a story about the first time he saw Mike Trout.

Overall, an eclectic experience where you'll probably go back and forth wanting to go home and wanting to see more.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Isn't that all we're ever offered?

Sure seems like it.  And if that were the case, why bother trading away for them if the team is in first?

I think the more interesting scenario would be 3 games down rather than up.  Assuming, of course, that this is for the division pennant rather than a wild card slot.

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Sure seems like it.  And if that were the case, why bother trading away for them if the team is in first?

I think the more interesting scenario would be 3 games down rather than up.  Assuming, of course, that this is for the division pennant rather than a wild card slot.

I sincerely doubt we'll need to worry about it - but it's an interesting hypothetical to me.

If we were offered a haul for a key player Avila/Illitch would have to decide if they could make the deal without the player revolt T337 refers to.   Could you sell that balancing of some present sacrifice for future gain?   I think it would depend on how ready someone was a Toledo.   Say we had a starter down there tearing the IL up - could you sell the trade as "making room for him"?  

36 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Can we risk removing Mahtook's production to find out?

That's sarcasm Sheldon..............................................

So, if we had known before the season started that the Tigers would have scored 27 runs in the first 10 games, with 3 home runs, and had been the lowest scoring team in the AL (runs per game) and 2nd worst in all of baseball, what would we have guessed their record would have been?  2-8, 3-7, maaaaaybe 4-6?  Nope, 7-3.  They have played fantastic D (today was a good example of that),  Had some really good pitching, and some timely hits from one guy mainly in Cristin Stewart (with 10 RBI).

This is GardyBall, as opopsed to Ausmusball, which is poor D, bad baserunning, and uninspired ball.

And, Shane Greene, who is a whooping boy for a lot of posters here, is on pace for 113 saves.

BBC32B22-5291-43B8-954D-09B43790DF9E.gif.2951243499d6063c84cd4a5991b102e9.gif

This is not exactly your lucky day. You shouldn’t spend so much time on the Internet.  Oh well, too late now. 

well, I see the league is forcing the Tigers into a day off to try and slow down the juggernaut and prevent the AL Central race from being over before May. They've always hated us in NY.

taking a quick look at at last season's results, the Tiger's two best ten game runs were 8/10 (5/23-6/2), and then 7/10 (6/7-6/17). Of course then they then lost 11 straight starting on 6/19!

30 minutes ago, Oblong said:

One of my favorite songs, especially live, is Whooping Post.

Great song - though I doubt anyone could ever top Greg Allman's original vocal.

oh **** no.....

And TTB's version is shortened, they do it as a combo with one of their songs so this is pretty much all you get... but still awesome.  I saw them do it 2 years ago and it made me weepy to be honest.  Derek played in ABB and Greg was their friend and had passed a few months earlier.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

taking a quick look at at last season's results, the Tiger's two best ten game runs were 8/10 (5/23-6/2), and then 7/10 (6/7-6/17). Of course then they then lost 11 straight starting on 6/19!

There was no Mr. Spencer Turnbull standing in the way of that 11 game streak.

39 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Great song - though I doubt anyone could ever top Greg Allman's original vocal.

The 23 minute version on At Fillmore East is the best.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:53 AM, Grander Guy said:

I wish we had added one more bat on a cheap / reasonable deal when guys were begging for jobs.  I understand teams valuing some flexibility with the DH and we aren't supposed to be trying, but I look at what Cleveland did signing a bunch of guys like Hanley / Carlos Gonzalez / Matt Joyce to minor league deals and what we have at the major league level and can't help but think one more potential bat in our lineup could have given us that much more interesting baseball and another potential trade chip.  Evan Gattis and Logan Morrison are unsigned, a guy like that to potentially add one more bat in the DH rotation would be worth any risk IMO.

I was kind of thinking the same thing...

I saw recently Tyler Austin was DFA by Min... he has some power (not a lot of that in our system), can play first and a little OF and is not 'that' old... plus he already had ST ABs. He might be worth a look, though the O's could/should be interested and perhaps some other teams may be as well.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

The 23 minute version on At Fillmore East is the best.

Last week or the week before, in honor of the 50 year anniversary of their first get together, they played their performance from the Fillmore West, which was a few weeks before their East show.

I think they're going to release it soon.