IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

5 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He's an all star suck

besides, only detroit lions jerseys have the word suck on them.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:45 AM, Tenacious D said:

What a fiasco in London.  17-13 score yesterday with 6 HR’s in the game.  Today, the Red Sox have hit 3 HR’s in the first inning!

i wouldn’t put it past MLB to have doctored the balls to ensure that the UK crowd were entertained.

They’ve already doctored it to entertain millennials, so why not Brits as well? After all, don’t know much about baseball, either. :cheeky: 

• Like 1

Twitterverse is reporting that Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs passed away this morning.  No details yet.  

RIP

Yikes.

Pitching seems to be more dangerous to your regular life. The article mentions Adenhart, then there were also  Fernandez and Ventura.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Darryl Kile

First thing that came to mind. Died in Chicago during a Cubs series. 

Just now, 1776 said:

First thing that came to mind. Died in Chicago during a Cubs series. 

Adenhart was the first guy I thought of. 

Really sad in all cases. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yikes.

Pitching seems to be more dangerous to your regular life. The article mentions Adenhart, then there were also  Fernandez and Ventura.

And halladay. And Cory lidle. 

The first one I thought of was Lyman Bostock.  He was the third Angel who died in the 70s.  They started talking about an Angels curse.  

Tim Crews and Steve Olin

I was too young to know/remember Roberto Clemente dying, but remember Thurman Munson vividly.  Back then, it seemed like the Yankees were on TV as much as the Tigers, and I was fascinated by the Bronx Zoo era.  Munson was, and is, my favorite non-Tiger.  For me, it was like Kennedy getting shot.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Adenhart was the first guy I thought of. 

Really sad in all cases. 

Adenhart was the one you could explain, the others leave me puzzled.

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Tim Crews and Steve Olin

I was too young to know/remember Roberto Clemente dying, but remember Thurman Munson vividly.  Back then, it seemed like the Yankees were on TV as much as the Tigers, and I was fascinated by the Bronx Zoo era.  Munson was, and is, my favorite non-Tiger.  For me, it was like Kennedy getting shot.

Clemente was the first one I remember.  That was shocking.  

27 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Clemente was the first one I remember.  That was shocking.  

Not baseball but Chuck Hughes was a year of so prior to Clemente.  I remember being shocked an athlete could die like that.

Growing up as a Pirate fan in the 60s and 70s it seems they had a lot of hard luck.

Pitcher Bob Moose was killed in a car crash shortly after the 1976 season ended. He was traveling to Bill Mazeroski’s golf course on his 28th birthday.

The Bucs also lost a promising outfielder during a game 1974 Alfredo Edmead was playing with the Pirates A farm club in Salem, Va when he dove for a fly ball and collided with second baseman Pablo Cruz. Edmead hit his head on Cruz’s knee. I understand it was right at the bridge of the nose. He died later at a local hospital. The kid was 17, batting .314, 7 home runs and over 61 stolen bases. He was supposedly the fastest player in the organization at the time. I was at the game and still shudder to think about it.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Tim Crews and Steve Olin

I remember Bob Ojeda was very fortunate to survive this incident.

22 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

The Bucs also lost a promising outfielder during a game 1974 Alfredo Edmead was playing with the Pirates A farm club in Salem, Va when he dove for a fly ball and collided with second baseman Pablo Cruz. Edmead hit his head on Cruz’s knee. I understand it was right at the bridge of the nose. He died later at a local hospital. The kid was 17, batting .314, 7 home runs and over 61 stolen bases. He was supposedly the fastest player in the organization at the time. I was at the game and still shudder to think about it.

I just read an account of this. Absolutely horrible and what a tragedy. He died at Lewis Gale Hospital. Salem opened a new park there in 1995 and it was named Lewis Gale Field for a period of time before being renamed. 

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Not baseball but Chuck Hughes was a year of so prior to Clemente.  I remember being shocked an athlete could die like that.

A client of mine was a close friend and high school classmate of Chuck Hughes at Abilene (TX) High. I first met him in the late 2000s, and we quickly realized just what a sports fanatic each other was. From there, the conversation flowed, and eventually came pro sports talk — specifically the NFL (he and his Cowboys, and me and my Lions). 

The moment I mentioned being a Lions (and Detroit pro sports fan), he asked me if I’d ever heard of a player well before my time (I was born in ‘79) by the name of Chuck Hughes. The name rang an immediate bell, but I couldn’t immediately place him, I told my client. He then told me of Chuck’s unfortunate demise, and I then remembered pieces of the story as he went on. I recall his eyes welling up with tears after describing some of his fonder memories with his fallen friend. He said that Chuck Hughes was just a wonderful guy. 

R.I.P. Tyler Skaggs

57 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Growing up as a Pirate fan in the 60s and 70s it seems they had a lot of hard luck.

Pitcher Bob Moose was killed in a car crash shortly after the 1976 season ended. He was traveling to Bill Mazeroski’s golf course on his 28th birthday.

You were AT THE GAME?! ?

13 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

On the field. Of a heart attack.