IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Much like my chances with Scarlett Johansson

You've done your best with that BF%, now if you could just do something about the mug.   Maybe a beard?

d58e2d3ca2161643beef50dc65d93232.jpg

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

Maybe, maybe not. Doesn’t really matter either way. 

The best we can probably hope for is that he hits enough over the next month to make his bat mildly attractive to more than one team, and we can extract a Logan shore type in return. 

I do wonder if the new single trade deadline will result in many players being DFA and waived after the deadline passes. In the past, of course, guys were placed on the revocable waivers and many with decent salaries passed through. That was a way for teams to be able to get rid of some guys that they couldn’t trade earlier for whatever reason. I think we will see teams give away players for nothing because of this. It will be interesting to see whether teams will claim a player that a like a little bit just to make sure they are the ones to get him, rather than letting the player choose his new team. Could end up with a mini in-season free agency period. 

I think we'll see a more aggressive trade deadline this year.  Teams that want to pick up players will be willing to pay less because there isn't that month that they can pick up players on waivers and teams that are selling will be willing to accept lower deals so they won't have to release the players and get nothing in return.  I can see a few last minute deals that wouldn't have happened in recent years.  I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how exciting it will be.  

14 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But Nick won't move to first.

Just tell him its short right field, he has to wear this different kind of mitt, and the infielders are going to throw over to that pillow where he will need to catch the ball.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Much like my chances with Scarlett Johansson

If you think about it, everything in life is 50/50.

This past weekend the WSJ did a piece in the OFF DUTY section on Detroit. It covered a busy schedule of ‘to-do’ things to experience in Motown beginning on a Friday evening through Sunday afternoon, geared mostly toward out-of-towners. The one thing it did not advise or recommend was a trip to Comerica Park. This would most likely take some of the joy out of the trip.

Good article with interesting suggestions.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

If you think about it, everything in life is 50/50.

The odds of the Tigers winning the World Series this year is less than 50/50.  

Actually, the odds of the Tigers doing something right are less than 50/50.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

This past weekend the WSJ did a piece in the OFF DUTY section on Detroit. It covered a busy schedule of ‘to-do’ things to experience in Motown beginning on a Friday evening through Sunday afternoon, geared mostly toward out-of-towners. The one thing it did not advise or recommend was a trip to Comerica Park. This would most likely take some of the joy out of the trip.

Good article with interesting suggestions.

Did it say "Go to Slow's"?

Mentioned some place in Corktown, Lady of the House. An Irish pub. The Monarch Club got a mention. Flowers of Vietnam restaurant got a plug with Willis Show Bar. Didn’t see anything about Slows. Is that a bar? 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

The odds of the Tigers winning the World Series this year is less than 50/50.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Actually, the odds of the Tigers doing something right are less than 50/50.

Its 50/50.  It either happens or it don't.

48 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Mentioned some place in Corktown, Lady of the House. An Irish pub. The Monarch Club got a mention. Flowers of Vietnam restaurant got a plug with Willis Show Bar. Didn’t see anything about Slows. Is that a bar? 

That's a good list... I was kind of mocking them by mentioning Slow's.  

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Its 50/50.  It either happens or it don't.

Well, time to place my bets in Vegas.  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Well, time to place my bets in Vegas.  

You're welcome.

dfa nick? get outta here.

last two weeks: 314/429/457

he'll fetch what upton got in a trade.  and iirc, some of you who are saying nick is worthless were happy with what we got in a trade foe upton.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he'll fetch what upton got in a trade.  and iirc, some of you who are saying nick is worthless were happy with what we got in a trade foe upton.

Name one team that makes sense for Nick:

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I hope that there is GM out there that thinks like you do! When we moved J-Up he had 4 seasons of 4 or more WAR, Nick has one over 1.5.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I hope that there is GM out there that thinks like you do! When we moved J-Up he had 4 seasons of 4 or more WAR, Nick has one over 1.5.

He also had 4 years left on his deal at a hefty salary, which tanked his value. 

The Tigers also got very little in return for Upton, so I don't think it is an unreasonable comp. All it takes is one team. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

Name one team that makes sense for Nick:

Long Island Ducks

1 hour ago, irvink said:

He also had 4 years left on his deal at a hefty salary, which tanked his value. 

I don't follow how his deal was an impediment when the Angels upped it to re-sign him.

When we obtained Grayson Long, he had the best ERA in his AA league, that is a value higher than anything we are likely to get for Nick. Career ending Injuries happen, that doesn't change the value proposition at the time the trade was made. Thoracic outlet syndrome hits pitchers relatively out of the blue (though there is guy out there that claims it is predictable based on delivery and who doesn't like Mize for that reason), and the fix fails more than it doesn't.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Mccann's WAR this year is 2.8. Maybe Det can trade Nick for him

• Haha 1

A couple years ago the Indians got Jay Bruce who at the time had an OPS of .844 with 29 HRs for a single low level prospect.   Like Nick he wasn't great defensively, was a former highly regarded prospect and was a pending FA.     Unless there is an absolutely desperate team out there I'm guessing that's the best we could hope for.  

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

A couple years ago the Indians got Jay Bruce who at the time had an OPS of .844 with 29 HRs for a single low level prospect.   Like Nick he wasn't great defensively, was a former highly regarded prospect and was a pending FA.     Unless there is an absolutely desperate team out there I'm guessing that's the best we could hope for.  

There may not really be a team overly interested. Teams are counting on this also. Yet, someone may still need a bat... was thinking Indians at one time. It might have to be more a package deal with Nick at this point. Maybe with Greene, etc. IF the tribe decides to go for it may Nick+ for someone like JBauers or BBradley. We may have to throw in a prospect.

Cleveland is looking at Bradley now. Bauers was getting most of the DH time. He actually rated decent at 1B previously (TBay lists/scouting reports) but Santana makes sense for them and he does well in that situation - so maybe the Tigs add in another prospect (and/or with Greene) and if they feel a roll on Bauers or Bradley is worth a try (LH/1B bats with possible 'upsides') the teams could match. Cleveland may look to add a RH OF/DH type along with another bullpen arm - IF - they feel they have a chance as Kluber, Clevinger, etc. will be back.

A player's worth on the trade market is not the same thing as his production.  You don't make a trade in a general store where you exchange something for equal value.  There has to be a buyer.  What team could use Nick right now, as an upgrade to what they currently have, and would want to give up something for him?  I don't follow the rest of the league to be able to answer that. 

if youre a national league team, you wouldnt take castellanos as a right handed stick off the bench?  he's averaged an ops + of 120 the last three years.  he has an ops of 900 against lefties this year.

you guys are hung up on war and what his stats are RIGHT NOW.  dude can hit.  he'***** very well for three years.  he's not under contract next year so you owe him nothing.

for a mid level relief prospect?  i'd definitely do that.

It all depends on what the team's other bench options are in that hypothetical and how much they value PH AB and starts against LHP, of which you maybe are talking something like 100 AB.