IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/instagraphs/job-posting-detroit-tigers-baseball-operations-data-engineer/

Tigers are hiring.  One of the descriptions is that you will be working closely with the analytics team so I guess that means you will be working by yourself since the Tigers don't spend money on analytics. 

Anyone "hired" for this job is actually just beaten up by gardenhire and avila and then dumped outside of the stadium with "nerd" written on their face in permanent marker 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will always wonder how things would have gone had Beltre been the target.

I don't remember the thinking at the time of his FA... he could have transformed the team if he'd have produced here what he did in TX.  

For all the love we gave the 2011-2014 teams... they never had home field advantage in the playoffs.   Beltre could ahve changed that.

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Anyone "hired" for this job is actually just beaten up by gardenhire and avila and then dumped outside of the stadium with "nerd" written on their face in permanent marker 

Poor Lee.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't remember the thinking at the time of his FA... he could have transformed the team if he'd have produced here what he did in TX.  

For all the love we gave the 2011-2014 teams... they never had home field advantage in the playoffs.   Beltre could ahve changed that.

IIRC I think a number of people were skeptical of him.

Fairly, or not, I think he was viewed as underperforming in Seattle.

I want sportz to apply for that job...

Experience

-Yelling about the Tigers on Twitter!

44 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

IIRC I think a number of people were skeptical of him.

Fairly, or not, I think he was viewed as underperforming in Seattle.

LOL - Beltre was too easy to be skeptical of. One of those really unathletic looking (but really great) athletes.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, last year Victor wasn't blocking anybody they were ready to look at. Situation could be a little different in next yr's starting rotation depending on how our minor league aces finish this season.

There should be plenty of room for Zimmermann to throw some innings, be it in the rotation, the bullpen, or on rehab.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I will always wonder how things would have gone had Beltre been the target.

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

There should be plenty of room for Zimmermann to throw some innings, be it in the rotation, the bullpen, or on rehab.

Several local slow-pitch softball teams have openings for pitchers.  Zimmermann's ERA suggests that he would be a good fit. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I hope not.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I hope not.

What's wrong with a high draft pick in 2021's draft?

10 minutes ago, Casimir said:

What's wrong with a high draft pick in 2021's draft?

If we still have a high pick in 2021 that means at least three of Faedo Manning Burrows and Funkhouser are washouts, Fulmer did not recover, and they Traded Boyd. So that would be a lot wrong. 

I don't expect them to be good next season, but if they are not out of contention for a top pick the pitching pipeline was a fail. 

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

If we still have a high pick in 2021 that means at least three of Feado Manning Burrows and Funkhouser are washouts, Fulmer did not recover, and they Traded Boyd. So that would be a lot wrong.

You expect considerable improvements next season?  I wouldn't be surprised if the pitching staff improves via a few arms coming up.  But I think it'd be wise to wait and see on that, as well as Fulmer's recovery and the development of Norris & Turnbull.  And who is going to help the offense?

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

You expect considerable improvements next season?  I wouldn't be surprised if the pitching staff improves via a few arms coming up.  But I think it'd be wise to wait and see on that, as well as Fulmer's recovery and the development of Norris & Turnbull.  And who is going to help the offense?

Although it's sort of against the rules to discuss the 2020 regular season in this thread....   I'm with G2 here re:some optimism for 2020 - Give me Boyd, Turnbull, Mize, Manning - add one of Norris, Burrows, Funkhouser as the 5th starter....and maybe, just maybe you won't need the 1927 Yankees lineup to compete.

24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Although it's sort of against the rules to discuss the 2020 regular season in this thread....   I'm with G2 here re:some optimism for 2020 - Give me Boyd, Turnbull, Mize, Manning - add one of Norris, Burrows, Funkhouser as the 5th starter....and maybe, just maybe you won't need the 1927 Yankees lineup to compete.

I don't argue that its entirely possible that you can take those 7, maybe add in Fulmer in some sort of capacity, and have a starting rotation and some bullpen pieces.  I'm just not ready to assume all will be pitching well enough to carry this awful lineup enough for an entire regular season.

Boyd, I think its reasonable to project him.  But everybody else?  You can project the number of innings, maybe.  But can you reasonably project the quality of the innings?  I mean, we're talking 4 rookies, a rehabber, and I think there are still justifiable questions about Turnbull and Norris.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't argue that its entirely possible that you can take those 7, maybe add in Fulmer in some sort of capacity, and have a starting rotation and some bullpen pieces.  I'm just not ready to assume all will be pitching well enough to carry this awful lineup enough for an entire regular season.

Boyd, I think its reasonable to project him.  But everybody else?  You can project the number of innings, maybe.  But can you reasonably project the quality of the innings?  I mean, we're talking 4 rookies, a rehabber, and I think there are still justifiable questions about Turnbull and Norris.

Agree.   Hopefully we have a few more clues or answers by September.    You have to think we're going to see at least a little of some or all of them by the end of this season.

I think we're a little bit apples and oranges here. As an analyst would I predict that the 2020 Tigers will play 425 ball? - No. Too many potential points of failure. What I am saying is that those points of failure are exactly where the Tiger rebuild has to not fail. If at least two of the group not including Mize (who is probably another year back) are not ready to be reasonable MLB starters in 2020 along with Turnbull, Boyd, Norris (maybe Fulmer), then the rebuild is already a failed proposition. That ptiching is where the franchise has cast it lot. The offense to compete above 500  is still further out, but give any team a full starting rotation and they shouldn't be a  bottom feeder.

9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Agree.   Hopefully we have a few more clues or answers by September.    You have to think we're going to see at least a little of some or all of them by the end of this season.

Well, there is the whole question about IPs for 2019, too.  I think Boyd should be able to get around 200, but again, I don't doubt his possible contributions next season.

Turnbull pitched 112 in 2017, 119 in 2018.  Is he capped at around 150 this season?

Norris pitched 116 in 2017, 56 in 2018.  Now that I think about it, he may have some winter league IPs that I have not included.  But where is he capped this season?  around 150?

What would be the expectations for the rooks and the rehab, this season and next?  For this season, will there be innings available for them to pitch assuming the normal growth from season to season in stamina?  Add 25 or 30 innings on?

Mize was at 84 & 125, almost all at Auburn (which may or may not make a difference).  150 for 2019? 

Manning was at 50 & 116.  145 for 2019?

Burrrows was at 134 & 134.  165 for 2019?  Its a bit easier to see Burrows in September than Mize & Manning because he's had somewhat of a load previously.

Funkhouser was at 63 & 98.  Around 125 for 2019?  Maybe more because he is older and likely more physically developed to take on a higher volume of innings?

42 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Well, there is the whole question about IPs for 2019, too.  I think Boyd should be able to get around 200, but again, I don't doubt his possible contributions next season.

Turnbull pitched 112 in 2017, 119 in 2018.  Is he capped at around 150 this season?

Norris pitched 116 in 2017, 56 in 2018.  Now that I think about it, he may have some winter league IPs that I have not included.  But where is he capped this season?  around 150?

What would be the expectations for the rooks and the rehab, this season and next?  For this season, will there be innings available for them to pitch assuming the normal growth from season to season in stamina?  Add 25 or 30 innings on?

Mize was at 84 & 125, almost all at Auburn (which may or may not make a difference).  150 for 2019? 

Burrrows was at 134 & 134.  165 for 2019?  Its a bit easier to see Burrows in September than Mize & Manning because he's had somewhat of a load previously.

Funkhouser was at 63 & 98.  Around 125 for 2019?  Maybe more because he is older and likely more physically developed to take on a higher volume of innings?

I don't know, I'm no BobRob or 6Hopper.                      😉

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I think if I read the charts right Turnbull worked 119 in the minors and another 16 in Det and he is 27 so he may not be on any restrictions at all, or something pretty high and so would be good to go full time next season. 

others look about right to me. Since Funk has already missed throwing about 70 innings he probably wouldn't hit any limit this season. I think they will limit Norris this year.

This team is going to be the perfect test bed for "openers" next couple of seasons as they should  have at least one or two guys on the staff that would be good to hold to 5 to 6 IP per start.

Zimm and Prince Fielder (finally) are off the books after 2020. I would hope Chris Illitch will be open to adding some offense help via FA at that point, going into 2021. Who knows how well Det would have done this year had Harrison and Mercer solidified (on defense) up the middle, and Fulmer, Moore, Zimm and Ross remained healthy. I doubt the injury luck will be as bad next year, but who knows. AA will likely add a few more stop gap FAs to help get through and possibly flip. Next year we should see a few of the pitcher prospects getting their first taste of the bigs. I would think Castro and Rogers and Daz get some time as well. I think the team should be marginally better next year and possibly a .500 team by 2021 if Chris Illitch opens his wallet a bit. Then maybe contend by 2022 if things go well, including Mr I spending

One could argue that they have benefited from the injuries since it gave Turnbull and Norris chances to start regularly.   

9 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

LOL 😂😂😂

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

One could argue that they have benefited from the injuries since it gave Turnbull and Norris chances to start regularly.   

Yeah.  Zimmermann is most valuable to the Tigers when he isn't pitching.