IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

Maybe James McCann’s all-star caliber play is a product of “the lake effect.”  Although I don’t think “the lake effect“ did much for Alex Avila.  In Detroit if a player suddenly gets better than where he was before I guess it would be “a river effect“ or “the Canada effect.“

It is getting to a point that I have to wonder if Gardenhire wouldn't rather have his own choice for hitting coach. I don't think I have ever been much a defender or detractor of Lloyd except to point out he hasn't has much to work with recently, but it is true that most of the good hitters we have had here in Det during Lloyd's tenure either here or the MiLB system,  came in trade - they were already mature good hitters who probably didn't need anything from him, or in JD's case had done their own self-coaching work.

Quick, trade anyone and everyone who could help us win ballgames!

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Quick, trade anyone and everyone who could help us win ballgames!

Top five pick in the first round, a comp pick for Castellanos, a competitive balance pick if the revenues drop enough, a top five pick in the second round. All of a sudden, some excess money to play with to try to snag some day 3 signability guys...

Correction: that competitive balance pick would be between the 2nd and 3rd round.

25 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Top five pick in the first round, a comp pick for Castellanos, a competitive balance pick if the revenues drop enough, a top five pick in the second round. All of a sudden, some excess money to play with to try to snag some day 3 signability guys...

Correction: that competitive balance pick would be between the 2nd and 3rd round.

Would be nice. But I see zero chance of a comp pick for nick, and a low chance of getting into the bottom 10 of defined local revenue. 

13 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Has anyone heard anything at all about Jordan Zimmermann or Tyson Ross lately?  

Zimmermann threw a couple of innings for Lakeland Saturday before the rain suspended the game. Gave up a couple of runs including a HR.

47 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Would be nice. But I see zero chance of a comp pick for nick, and a low chance of getting into the bottom 10 of defined local revenue. 

I agree about Nick. Everyone assumes some team will offer him a 50+ million contract and I just don't see it

1 hour ago, leflore said:

I agree about Nick. Everyone assumes some team will offer him a 50+ million contract and I just don't see it

There is a 1% chance that he gets 50M+; there is 0% chance the Tigers offer him arbitration.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Yes, the chances of this keep dropping daily.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Has anyone heard anything at all about Jordan Zimmermann or Tyson Ross lately?  

Yeah, got some bad news for you.  It looks like Zimmermann will be coming back.

21 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

this too shall pass........and probably pretty quickly. Zimmermann's health half-life is about 2 starts.

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Need his gas tank for the draft tank.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Is Zimmermann the worst contract in team history?  

Nope.  Randy Smith.

Dontrelle and victor contracts could be worse. 

Currently Zimmermann has accumulated 1.2 WAR for the Tigers during his contract and as of now they have  paid him roughly 70 million.  They still owe him about 15 million for the rest of this season and 25 million next season.   

For reference Victor "contributed"  - 3.5 WAR for 68 million dollars.   So as of now Victor's ROI was worse than Zimmermanns but if Zimm doesn't attribute the rest of the contract I think I'd say his was worse just because it was like 50 some million dollars more.  

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Nope.  Randy Smith.

One thing Avila has going for him is that he's not Randy Smith.  

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

One thing Avila has going for him is that he's not Randy Smith.  

Who among us is Randy Smith?

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Dontrelle and victor contracts could be worse. 

I still don't get Willis. I can understand almost every other move DD made even if I disagreed with them. Dontrelle just made no sense at any level. I mean, I'm happy a seemingly nice guy is probably set for the rest of his life, but did it have to add to *my* ticket prices? xD

24 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I still don't get Willis. I can understand almost every other move DD made even if I disagreed with them. Dontrelle just made no sense at any level. I mean, I'm happy a seemingly nice guy is probably set for the rest of his life, but did it have to add to *my* ticket prices? xD

Explain Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon.  

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Explain Eugenio Suarez for Alfredo Simon.  

That was easy to understand, stupid, but easy to understand. Simply too much 'win-now' in that equation. Plus DD was always a pushover for guys that threw hard.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That was easy to understand, stupid, but easy to understand. Simply too much 'win-now' in that equation. Plus DD was always a pushover for guys that threw hard.

Plus, DD never met a “blocked” prospect that he didn’t want to immediately trade.

55 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Marlins probably said any deal involving Cabrera includes Willis.