IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Nick was featured in another athletic article today. He at least admits he outright refused to try first base late last season. 

I think we are supposed to think that’s a positive thing, but it comes off to me as being petty. He also complains in the article about being jerked around to different positions, and appears to deflect blame about his mediocre ceiling to those types of things. 

Remember Inge bitching about being moved from C because the TIgers signed Pudge?  Then he bitched when they traded for Cabrera....

Can't a guy catch a break?  Weak *** .200 hitter getting bumped by future hall of famers.

I doubt at this point Avila can get anything for Nick by July 31.

Should have taken whatever was offered by Houston last year.

12 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

If you're good at any position you tend to get jerked around less 

This is, of course, the correct stance on this matter.

Why was Al Kaline in right field when Nick Castellanos is there because it’s the place where he can do the least damage?  Was there something about Kaline that made right field a better fit? Why not center or left? 

22 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Why was Al Kaline in right field when Nick Castellanos is there because it’s the place where he can do the least damage?  Was there something about Kaline that made right field a better fit? Why not center or left? 

Kaline was graceful and sure-handed in the outfield, but not particularly fast.  And because most hitters are rigththanded, and their balls hit to the opposite field tend to slice, it is commonly thought that right is harder to play than left in that regard.  But probably the main reason Kaline was in right was his fantastic arm.  At least for many years, and maybe still, great-throwing outfielders, especially if they were not also speedy center-fielder types, tended to be put in right because of the long throw from there to third.  So guys with rifle arms like Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Carl Furillo, and Dwight Evans were placed in that position. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

/..sigh../

Statistically, he showed improvement his 2nd season at 3rd but either that was sample size luck or he plateaued or regressed in the succeeding seasons. What's a team supposed to do? If you want to keep your job, get better. It's a nonsense argument anyway. If you have the mental stamina to play major league ball you have to be tough enough not to let the glove side of your game effect your bat. Nick doesn't think he's at least the player that Don Kelly was or Niko Goodrum are? They should have been basket cases having to go all over the diamond like that. I hate athletes that whine and/or take themselves so seriously. It's a fricking game you're playing.

reminds me last night, UM relief pitcher Keizer. Guy is in all kinds of trouble, game is on the line, and he's got this ****-eating grin on his face the whole time like there is no-where else in the world he'd rather be. Nick needs a little of that - maybe a lot of that..

</rant>

Preach.

Castellanos isn't setting himself up very well for his next contract.  A so so contract season.  This article about him refusing to consider a position change comes out.  There's going to be a slim enough market for him, and then he hires Scott Boras which might slim down the market a bit more.  (Although, in fairness, it does sound like Boras really does exceptionally well representing his clientele and accentuating the positives of the player's game).

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Kaline was graceful and sure-handed in the outfield, but not particularly fast.  And because most hitters are rigththanded, and their balls hit to the opposite field tend to slice, it is commonly thought that right is harder to play than left in that regard.  But probably the main reason Kaline was in right was because of his fantastic arm.  At least for many years, and maybe still, great-throwing outfielders, especially if they were not also speedy center-fielder types, tended to be put in right because of the long throw from there to third.  So guys like Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Carl Furillo, and Dwight Evans were placed in that position. 

I never got to see Kaline play.  But watching terrific arms in RF is something to see.  Vlad Guerrero and Ichiro Suzuki were so much fun to watch throw from RF.

Just now, Casimir said:

I never got to see Kaline play.  But watching terrific arms in RF is something to see.  Vlad Guerrero and Ichiro Suzuki were so much fun to watch throw from RF.

I was fortunate enough to see him.  In fact, he hit a home run in the first Tiger game I ever attended.  And man, could he throw. 

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

And now the pessimism:

Grayson Greiner is hitting .115/.233/.231 in his last 60 PA.

How much longer are they going to pretend Greiner is good?  

I think they and us are hoping he's only a placeholder for Jake2

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Time for some optimism:

JaCoby Jones is hitting .359/.407/.679 in his last 87 PA.

Christin Stewart is hitting .347/.422/.500 in his last 83 PA.

Miguel Cabrera is hitting .323/.386/.484 in his last 70 PA.

Niko Goodrum is hitting .289/.337/.494 in his last 89 PA.

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

And now the pessimism:

Ronny Rodriguez is hitting .135/.154/.243 in his last 78 PA.

Grayson Greiner is hitting .115/.233/.231 in his last 60 PA.

My bet is Rodriguez goes back to AAA when Harrison or Mercer is ready.  How much longer are they going to pretend Greiner is good?  

I am shocked by what Jones is doing.  I guess maybe I'm not too sure what to expect out of Stewart.  I can see those stat lines for the other four.

Harrison and Mercer will be ready once the trade deadline passes so then they are useless.

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

McCann is second in all-star voting.  

And Avila let him go for nothing?

Just now, Casimir said:

....all of MTS questioned Avila as he let that happen.

🤫

I wonder what he packaged with Castellanos would'of gotten the Tigers?

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Not only that, but they replaced him with Grayson Greiner, who is hitting .170. 

1 hour ago, Microline133 said:

This is, of course, the correct stance on this matter.

Inge at 3B in 2008, at least defensively, being the exception...

7 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Not only that, but they replaced him with Grayson Greiner, who is hitting .170. 

I should probably clarify my statement as taking a highly sarcastic tone.  Of course Avila let him go for nothing.  McCann sucks.

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Kaline was graceful and sure-handed in the outfield, but not particularly fast.  And because most hitters are rigththanded, and their balls hit to the opposite field tend to slice, it is commonly thought that right is harder to play than left in that regard.  But probably the main reason Kaline was in right was his fantastic arm.  At least for many years, and maybe still, great-throwing outfielders, especially if they were not also speedy center-fielder types, tended to be put in right because of the long throw from there to third.  So guys with rifle arms like Kaline, Roberto Clemente, Carl Furillo, and Dwight Evans were placed in that position. 

right. Kaline did have reasonable speed in the 1st half of his career, such that he did steal the occasional base. The arm is the big thing, but also a ball into the corner in RF can much more easily go for a triple if the RF can't both throw and run. In comparison a triple into the LF corner almost demands that there was uncharged error contributing. 

In that regard while not good speed, Nick does has decent straight-line speed to run balls down - much better than JD did for example. And Nick does have a decent throwing arm. So he is as fit to play right as left (once you decide he has to play somewhere....), but Nick is below average on his break and at the catching the ball part which prevents him from being a plus fielder anywhere.

Overall the OF situation for Detroit today is also unusual and shared only by  KC in that COPA has an oversized LF.  The Tigers would be better served by a CF type there instead of the usual  major league LF plodder like Stewart. Upton was a great fit for a short while but since CoPA opened we have yet to find our Alex Gordon.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I am shocked by what Jones is doing. I guess maybe I'm not too sure what to expect out of Stewart.  I can see those stat lines for the other four.

I'm not shocked yet - hot for maybe half a season isn't that unusual, but I will be if it sticks permanently. Very few guys become fundamentally  better hitters at Jones' age  - which is why JD was such a big deal