IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, Casimir said:

Boyd?

Not if he pitches like his last two games.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I always suspected Pujols was older than his listed age.  When he debuted in the majors, he looked older than 21.  Some people just look more mature than others, but something about the way he carried himself on the field and in interviews made him seem a few years older.   I never thought that about Cabrera.  This , of course, is all just wild speculation.    

I think the age discount may be more of a Dominican thing than a Venezuelan (or a Latin American in general) thing. My general impression is that Venezuela is a more advanced country when it comes to public recording of vital statistics so it might be harder for a player from there to cheat on his age.

If the Tigers rebuild loses the guy who writes for ClickOnDetroit, does it mean anything?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I wonder if we'd see the same thing again.  Is there an element of "been there done that"?  Also the city of Detroit itself is different.  Back then if you wanted to go downtown you didn't have very many options.  Now you do.  

During the games I sometimes go to the bar area in the upper deck RF because they have a good selection.  Even last night there were still 40-50 people there hanging out.  Last Friday I'd put the number at a few hundred.  All young people. Say what you want but that kind of environment has appeal I guess.

All the games I've been to this year, 6, have been overcast, 50, and cold.  I'll be interested to see the atmosphere in July on a weekend when it's warm out.  

I think when the team starts winning again people will be back. Like any other live sporting event, it’s something to do. When the team is good, people will pay attention. They will actually watch the games on tv. They will care about wins and losses. They will be “interested.” And when people are interested, they will make a point to head down to the games. 

I don’t think the increased number of bars and restaurants in the area will change that. 

Hopefully it isn’t too many years until we can test this hypothesis. 

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Iglesias has an OPS of .750 this year.  He'd be a star on the Tigers.  

James McCann has an OPS of .925.  Why does everyone get better after leaving the Tigers?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers rebuild loses the guy who writes for ClickOnDetroit, does it mean anything?

It means I felt like swallowing a bottle of pills after reading that.

I'm hoping or more of a book of Genesis cycle...

but seven years of famine will follow them. Then all the abundance in Egypt will be forgotten, and the famine will ravage the land.

The rebuild started in earnest in 2017...so...with the years we've already famined it...seven years would put us in the vicinity of 2024.  And if we're anything like ancient Egypt...our fans will have forgotten about the relative abundance of the DD years and be charged up to see some winning baseball.

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not if he pitches like his last two games.

That's true.

10 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

James McCann has an OPS of .925.  Why does everyone get better after leaving the Tigers?  

Because they don't have to deal with Lloyd anymore.

• Like 2

Didn't Gil Scott Heron have a song called "We Almost Lost ClickOnDetroit"?  He'll have to do a rewrite now

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Iglesias has an OPS of .750 this year.  He'd be a star on the Tigers.  

He hit clean up at times for the Tigers last year. 

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not much new in there, mostly a compiled re-hash of what anyone paying attention already knows.   In today's world negativity drives clicks so he's doing what his job demands.

I don't get why ClickOnDetroit would have any special significance......it's a local news site not the home of baseball gurus.

5 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

Do we know how old Miggy really is?  Maybe he fudged his age to make himself more attractive to scouts.  Maybe he's closer to 40 than 35.

C'mon take a bite out of the carrot and join me down the rabbit hole

FWIW, Avila has known him since he was about 14 or something so they would have to have been fudging it a long way back.

56 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I hope the answer is not "They learn situational hitting"......

45 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Didn't Gil Scott Heron have a song called "We Almost Lost ClickOnDetroit"?  He'll have to do a rewrite now

Nobody heard of it because it wasn't televised.

• Like 2

I think Miggy's age is right.... when you see photos of him early on in the FLA days he looks like a baby.

I believe this is him when he signed or shortly after at 16.

BK-U4voCAAA0xXx.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

FWIW, Avila has known him since he was about 14 or something so they would have to have been fudging it a long way back.

My theory has always been that the players that come from countries that do not have good record keeping skills always have players that fudge their ages a little.  I would not be shocked at all to find out he is a year or 2 older than we think he is.

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I don't get why ClickOnDetroit would have any special significance......it's a local news site not the home of baseball gurus.

Correct. MTS is the home of the baseball gurus.

so TKA said Avila called and then cancelled a press briefing and meanwhile another rumour is floating around about Greene and the Braves.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so TKA said Avila called and then cancelled a press briefing and meanwhile another rumour is floating around about Greene and the Braves.

Tka?

Braves badly need BP help. They could use 2-3 guys actually.

Most of their expendable pieces are likely arms, which is not ideal fit but when it comes to Greene, I can see Avila getting aggressive and trading him while he's hot. 8 weeks from now, maybe he's garbage again. Or maybe the market is more flooded.

2 minutes ago, irvink said:

Braves badly need BP help. They could use 2-3 guys actually.

Most of their expendable pieces are likely arms, which is not ideal fit but when it comes to Greene, I can see Avila getting aggressive and trading him while he's hot. 8 weeks from now, maybe he's garbage again. Or maybe the market is more flooded.

Yeah, it’s not reasonable to expect a good position prospect, and you can never have too many arms. I’ll take any good value we can get. 

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Tka?

WTKA - but I think it was actually XYT anyway.

9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, it’s not reasonable to expect a good position prospect, and you can never have too many arms. I’ll take any good value we can get. 

man I hate to give up a relatively healthy pitcher that is only 30 and it getting people out. OTOH he looks like he is benefiting from BaBIP luck (nobody sustains a 10% line drive rate!)  that can't be tied to any real change in his pitching other than maybe just his location improving so you hate to miss the opportunity to get something that won't be available if he regresses back to the 2018 version. I don't envy sports GMs. I can't stand having to make a decision in the absence of some kind of solid data and GMs basically have to shoot in the dark all the time with millions of bucks worth of success or failure. No thanks.