IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

14 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Being offered gravy on your French fries was pretty normal when I was a kid, but real poutine was only available in Quebec and was unheard of elsewhere until about 30 years ago.  I think I've had real poutine once.

Poutine has become all the rage online the past few years.  I have never had it.  Would it still be poutine if you got the gravy on the side?  Drenching nice crispy fries with gravy just seems criminal to me.

51 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Being offered gravy on your French fries was pretty normal when I was a kid, but real poutine was only available in Quebec and was unheard of elsewhere until about 30 years ago.  I think I've had real poutine once.

The first time I was in the deep South and was served grits I realized why Sherman burned Atlanta on his march to the sea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

You mean that wasn't real poutine I had at Cheetah's in Windsor? Was that not gravy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

Gravy and chips is really, really common in some parts of this country - from chip shops for sure in the north. We'd have it as kids at home as well. Nowadays, of course, it's all curry sauce and such fancy-dan stuff.

Poutine, however, appears impossible to find. There is a place in London that claims to serve it, but I've always be sceptical.

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Poutine has become all the rage online the past few years.  I have never had it.  Would it still be poutine if you got the gravy on the side?  Drenching nice crispy fries with gravy just seems criminal to me.

I'm not sure the cheese curds melt properly if you don't add the gravy first do they?

Soggy chips (fries - sorry) can be a marvellous, marvellous thing though. With or without gravy.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

You mean that wasn't real poutine I had at Cheetah's in Windsor? Was that not gravy?

It's not poutine if it doesn't have cheese curds in it.

7 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Got to have cheese curds in it.

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

It's not poutine if it doesn't have cheese curds in it.

I’m pretty sure there were a few curds of something threaded through it. 

Just now, chasfh said:

I’m pretty sure there were a few curds of something threaded through it. 

Congealed fat in the gravy so pretty close to cheese.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

Congealed fat in the gravy so pretty close to cheese.

A certain kind of cheese, yes. 

Fries and gravy is a meal unto itself...adding cheese to the mix seems superfluous.  we have a bar near me that servces "poutine"....but they could be serving me nothing of the sort and I wouldn't know any better.

Food shouldn't be so confusing

Poutine is almost bad enough for me to wish to denounce my Canadian citizenship. Or to at least blame poutine on Quebecois and completely distance Anglo-Canadians from that abomination.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Poutine is almost bad enough for me to wish to denounce my Canadian citizenship. Or to at least blame poutine on Quebecois and completely distance Anglo-Canadians from that abomination.

But you do like gravy on your fries, right?

8 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

But you do like gravy on your fries, right?

Yes, I used to have gravy on fries at the KFC on Spadina when walking home from my job at the slaughterhouse at the foot of Bathurst in the summer of '89. Screw the cheese though.

We have a poutine place in Dearborn.... basically its poutine and crepes....  I've only been there once because everything in there is bad for you.

http://laforkdetroit.com/

16 hours ago, lordstanley said:

It's good enough to make me consider emigrating.

Well, that and Brexit.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, thefunk said:

Tigers win the central.

well now we know who was sharing that bowl with goose...

23 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Gravy and chips is really, really common in some parts of this country - from chip shops for sure in the north. We'd have it as kids at home as well. Nowadays, of course, it's all curry sauce and such fancy-dan stuff.

Poutine, however, appears impossible to find. There is a place in London that claims to serve it, but I've always be sceptical.

i tend to be skeptical about anything i eat in england...

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i tend to be skeptical about anything i eat in england...

Next time, let me know. I'll show you the good stuff. You just need to promise not to wear those stars and stripes hot pants this time.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

well now we know who was sharing that bowl with goose...

lol, evidence it was a very good bowl.

7 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Next time, let me know. I'll show you the good stuff. You just need to promise not to wear those stars and stripes hot pants this time.

those pants get me a lot of comments about my bangers and mash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2