IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I felt better about this season this morning after a nice bowl and watching this:

That is absolutely brilliant. I’ve never seen this video ensemble before. White Rabbit is my favorite Jefferson Airplane song.  

On 3/23/2019 at 1:52 PM, chasfh said:

This team might well lose 110 games.

Wow, after reading all of the posts along this line, I must wonder if I had a stroke and didn't know it. While this is a poor team,  yet while playing in the AL Central, I see them at about 73 wins.

5 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Wow, after reading all of the posts along this line, I must wonder if I had a stroke and didn't know it. While this is a poor team,  yet while playing in the AL Central, I see them at about 73 wins.

Where do you see the nine extra wins coming from?

Since I don’t have high expectations, not being poked in the eye with a sharp stick is my concept of success. It may not be enough to keep me interested as much as usual, but if I don’t have to flinch a lot I think that’s good. 

If the team ever gets good again but shows signs of permanently being a club that will never re-sign their best and is not truly willing to do what it takes to win it all, I’m gone. I can find other stuff to do than follow this team. It’s not like I am immortal. I’ve reached the point in life where I am consciously figuring out the best use of the time I have left.  There are other ways to be edified and entertained as well as to be let down than this. 

• Like 1

Hey @Charles Liston they tell us that it’s baseball season, eh. We’re not even into the playoffs yet. The gorbies better bring their shovels. 

7DD08BD8-CC66-430D-B691-A4309612425F.thumb.jpeg.e2ef71b34895febf7dc08f44d371b88a.jpeg

On 3/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, LooseGoose said:

I felt better about this season this morning after a nice bowl and watching this:

Weird. That was very weird.

9 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Weird. That was very weird.

You need the bowl with it man....but the question is do you now feel better about the season?

All is right in the world again! Woohoo. Baseball! Very interested in how guys like Spencer Turnbull will do. I really hope at some point this year, I get to see Cameron,  just not sure how close he is yet. I think this is the year some of those young guys might start making those bus rides from Toledo.  Gonna be fun. This is what baseball is about, hope! I am also a realist, the record is going to stink, howe1ber, getting to see some of the young guys come up and make contributions, that is priceless. 

so have they done away with the "super 2" nonsense or is there still some number of games the Tigers are going to hold out Cameron to save his clock? The kid is ready - or at least ready enough to be better than anyone that they have to play CF now.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, Yoda said:

It's different, sure. I don't see what the big deal is or why it's dumb though. Both teams had the same disadvantages. 

You do not see the stupidity in starting the season in another country then going back to ST games and then starting the season in the USA with opening day?

If they were going to do it at all they should have done opening days at home for both teams at the same time the rest of the league was doing it then went over seas for a short series if they are trying to grow the league.

I have no problem with them trying to grow the league to some world wide spectacle, but the scheduling for that this year was wonky as ****.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, chasfh said:

This team might well lose 110 games.

Twenty years ago this team would have likely lost 110 games. But the appearance on the schedule of the Royals, Orioles, Mariners and to a lesser extent the White Sox and Rangers will probably mean 95-100 losses. 

The Mariners and Rangers not going to be worse than the Tigers, and the White Sox and Royals are probably not going to be as bad as the Tigers. The Orioles may be worse than the Tigers, but we’re talking only six games.

One thing I think we can all agree on: the America League has become a bifurcated piece of ****.

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

You need the bowl with it man....but the question is do you now feel better about the season?

I I don't think I care, man.

7 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Twenty years ago this team would have likely lost 110 games. But the appearance on the schedule of the Royals, Orioles, Mariners and to a lesser extent the White Sox and Rangers will probably mean 95-100 losses. 

With as weak as the Central is, I certainly don't see this. With Fulmer out of the picture , that is worth an additional win. With Mercer and Harrison at SS and 2B, the defense in the middle is worth for to five wins. I think that Miggy's health will hold up enough to net 3  wins. This assumes he plays healthy for 70 to 80 games. That gets me roughly to 73 wins. This also assumes that on August 1, Castellanous, Boyd, Mercer,Harrison, and Zimmerman are still with the team. Casty and Boyd are the most likely to be traded.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, IdahoBert said:

Hey @Charles Liston they tell us that it’s baseball season, eh. We’re not even into the playoffs yet. The gorbies better bring their shovels. 

7DD08BD8-CC66-430D-B691-A4309612425F.thumb.jpeg.e2ef71b34895febf7dc08f44d371b88a.jpeg

That photo is so fake.  The palm trees are missing, and in real life there are always a dozen Mounties in red tunics on horseback patrolling the Skydome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charles Liston said:

That photo is so fake.  The palm trees are missing, and in real life there are always a dozen Mounties in red tunics on horseback patrolling the Skydome.

Ha. I’m not sure what the weather is like in Toronto this year, but an hour and a half north of me at 5000 foot elevation where I’ve spent the last two summers, it’s still buried under 5 feet of snow. More snow than I’ve ever seen. And it’s still snowing.  Usually it would most likely be a foot of snow at this time or even much less or even none. 

13 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Ha. I’m not sure what the weather is like in Toronto this year, but an hour and a half north of me at 5000 foot elevation where I’ve spent the last two summers, it’s still buried under 5 feet of snow. More snow than I’ve ever seen. And it’s still snowing.  Usually it would most likely be a foot of snow at this time or even much less or even none. 

Webcams from Da Tower show no snow at all: https://www.earthcam.com/world/canada/toronto/cntower/?cam=cntower2

Iirc the temperatures were above freezing during the daytime all week as well - 7 celsius or so. Similar to here actually.

1 hour ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Webcams from Da Tower show no snow at all: https://www.earthcam.com/world/canada/toronto/cntower/?cam=cntower2

Iirc the temperatures were above freezing during the daytime all week as well - 7 celsius or so. Similar to here actually.

I much prefer my fantasy of Canada being aboot Royal Canadian Mounties, piles of snow, and Bob and Doug McKenzie than this sort of reality. 

4 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I much prefer my fantasy of Canada being aboot Royal Canadian Mounties, piles of snow, and Bob and Doug McKenzie than this sort of reality. 

Not largish aquatic, wood-gnawing mammals then?

My fantasy of Canada is a little different and partly involves poutine it must be said. I must see about making it back there in a year or so.

18 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

Not largish aquatic, wood-gnawing mammals then?

My fantasy of Canada is a little different and partly involves poutine it must be said. I must see about making it back there in a year or so.

You're right, there weren't any beavers in that bogus photo, or any maple trees with sap buckets.

7 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

You're right, there weren't any beavers in that bogus photo, or any maple trees with sap buckets.

Or moose.

I demand more stereotypes.

25 minutes ago, Blue Square Thing said:

poutine

I understand that poutine is to Canada as pizza is to the US and chicken tikka masala is to Britain: the official national delicacy. 

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I understand that poutine is to Canada as pizza is to the US and chicken tikka masala is to Britain: the official national delicacy. 

You'll have to check with Charles as I've only had it in Montreal and Toronto, but I expect the mounties keep a portion under their hats at all times as some kind of emergency kit.

I imagine it might vary a little by place. In the east Donair seemed more prevalent.

6 hours ago, Blue Square Thing said:

You'll have to check with Charles as I've only had it in Montreal and Toronto, but I expect the mounties keep a portion under their hats at all times as some kind of emergency kit.

I imagine it might vary a little by place. In the east Donair seemed more prevalent.

Being offered gravy on your French fries was pretty normal when I was a kid, but real poutine was only available in Quebec and was unheard of elsewhere until about 30 years ago.  I think I've had real poutine once.