IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

The guy who was supposed to tell the guy to tell Brad to tell the players was out for personal reasons

56 minutes ago, leflore said:

The guy who was supposed to tell the guy to tell Brad to tell the players was out for personal reasons

This is the real reason the Tigers are revving up their analytics.  That guy doesn't exit...yet.

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

This is the real reason the Tigers are revving up their analytics.  That guy doesn't exit...yet.

If after three-plus years all that can be said about the Tigers analytics effort is that they're still "revving it up", it's probably already over.

It's "official": The 2019 Tigers were as bad as the 2003 Tigers.

2019-10-01_8-34-28.jpg.3de21dea084411754d7f812a32cf54a0.jpg

It's true that in the standings the 2019 team were 4-1/2 games better, but we all know there's a luck factor that goes into wins and losses. In terms of run differential the teams were so close that had the 2019 Tigers played one more game and lost it 13-9, the runs scored and allowed would have been identical to 2003. And the 2019 pythag record was a sliver worse than 2003.

Let's all rise and give the Ilitches a big hand. Everyone said this team couldn't possibly be as bad as 2003, but the Ilitches rose to the challenge and proudly replied, "hold my beer".

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If after three-plus years all that can be said about the Tigers analytics effort is that they're still "revving it up", it's probably already over.

Even the Astros, Dodgers, etc. are still revving up. This is an arms race, and there's really no "Welp, we made it. We are done" situation.

Just now, Edman85 said:

Even the Astros, Dodgers, etc. are still revving up. This is an arms race, and there's really no "Welp, we made it. We are done" situation.

I think you know what I meant.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think you know what I meant.

That they're forever doomed and can never catch up?   

40 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

That they're forever doomed and can never catch up?   

"Forever" is a long time, but yeah, we're way behind on analytics and I don't think this administration cares much about that, because they're baseball men, not pocket protector wearing nerds living in their mothers' basements.

To keep up requires you to have dedicated people who want to succeed for the sake of succeeding, the thrill of it.  They have to love what they're doing and love gaining more knowledge.  Has to be a passion.   

It has to be the kind of people where if I took some of the smartest people here, I can think of maybe 5, and put them in the org, they'd be mid level.  Right now I suspect all 5 of them would be at the top.

for example, if chasfh, were to get a behind the scenes look and spent a month with the Tigers front office I'd want him to come back and say "I can't reveal anything specific but it's pretty cool.... I learned a few things."  But if that were to happen he'd come back and say "Well... they're on the right track I guess... nothing I didn't know already"

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's "official": The 2019 Tigers were as bad as the 2003 Tigers.

2019-10-01_8-34-28.jpg.3de21dea084411754d7f812a32cf54a0.jpg

It's true that in the standings the 2019 team were 4-1/2 games better, but we all know there's a luck factor that goes into wins and losses. In terms of run differential the teams were so close that had the 2019 Tigers played one more game and lost it 13-9, the runs scored and allowed would have been identical to 2003. And the 2019 pythag record was a sliver worse than 2003.

Let's all rise and give the Ilitches a big hand. Everyone said this team couldn't possibly be as bad as 2003, but the Ilitches rose to the challenge and proudly replied, "hold my beer".

I am guilty of saying that.  Holy ****, they did it.

My prediction of a non-zero chance of losing 110 games seems quaintly reserved in retrospect. 

It's still rankles me that the '96 team gets such little respect for being as awful as they were.  My goodness they stunk.  

I think when you factor in competition this team can make a case for being worse than the 2003 one.   In 2003 the Tigers were the only 100 loss team in the AL, this year there were 3 of them including a 104 loss team in their division that they got to play 19 times.  There was also 5 94+ loss teams this year vs. only 3 in 2003.   Basically there were just alot more winnable games this year than there was in 03.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think when you factor in competition this team can make a case for being worse than the 2003 one.   In 2003 the Tigers were the only 100 loss team in the AL, this year there were 3 of them including a 104 loss team in their division that they got to play 19 times.  There was also 5 94+ loss teams this year vs. only 3 in 2003.   Basically there were just alot more winnable games this year than there was in 03.   

Very good point

On 10/1/2019 at 11:16 PM, Charles Liston said:

It's still rankles me that the '96 team gets such little respect for being as awful as they were.  My goodness they stunk.  

The entire 1990s just ran into one another.  I was a kid, and the Tigers were so bad that I just lost complete interest in baseball.  It is kind of sad that an owner can be so bad that he can rob an entire childhood from someone in regards to watching major league baseball. 

Owners like Ilitch don't care because they are strong arming the city and state out of tax payer money so they can get a new stadium, etc.  I think there should be no public funds used on stadiums for billionaire owners.

• Like 2

In 2002 and 2003 the team won 98 games over two seasons.  47 wins this season...they need win 51 or more in 2020 to beat that total.   win 58 and they beat the single season 104 wins from the 1984 world champs