IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

My interest level is: "check the box score the next day and hope someone interesting hit a dinger" 

Well see if next year can take it lower 

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I miss the days when this is what national baseball coverage looked like.  Greatest theme song ever.

I loved that show.  It's funny.  In some ways, the lack of coverage back then made the game more enjoyable.  Every bit of baseball coverage you could get was so exciting.  It was something to look forward to.  Today, I think it's overkill and we take everything for granted.  I am not saying I want to go back to those days.  We can't and I wouldn't like it after experiencing the convenience of today's coverage.  I just think it was a different experience back then which we can't recapture today.  

38 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

To further add to your dislike of broccoli....

A few months ago I took the kids to the park, the park had an old bathroom.  Well maintained for the most part, but just old.  One of those bathrooms that was designed and built for like 100 people when a single urinal probably would have been enough.

Both kids thought the bathroom smelled liked broccoli...it kind of did and it was pretty disturbingly gross since I enjoy broccoli.  I am not sure if I will ever forget that day...there are other reasons for its memorability, but that is def one of them.

I remember, as a kid, a mall bathroom smelling like pepperoni, which I think is why pepperoni pizza disgusts me to this day.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I remember, as a kid, a mall bathroom smelling like pepperoni, which I think is why pepperoni pizza disgusts me to this day.

Ouch...pepperoni is awesome!

Also used to love TWIB. During my pre-cable youth it seemed like maybe 40 Tigers games were broadcast on CBS (in Grand Rapids) so most of my early Tigers memories came via my transistor radio. I used to keep a scorecard. Listening to Horton, Cash and Kaline was always a thrill

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I loved that show.  It's funny.  In some ways, the lack of coverage back then made the game more enjoyable.  Every bit of baseball coverage you could get was so exciting.  It was something to look forward to.  Today, I think it's overkill and we take everything for granted.  I am not saying I want to go back to those days.  We can't and I wouldn't like it after experiencing the convenience of today's coverage.  I just think it was a different experience back then which we can't recapture today.  

I've thought about trying to pick one game based on the most interesting storyline going in and just sticking with that game but I can't help flipping around. It's so addictive.

I don't know where to put this, but Franmil Reyes of the Indians has 36 HRs and a WAR of 0. Nothing illustrates the cheapening of the home run more than this. Granted he's a DH and doesn't walk much. But 36 HRs used to cover up a lot of sins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

I don't know where to put this, but Franmil Reyes of the Indians has 36 HRs and a WAR of 0. Nothing illustrates the cheapening of the home run more than this. Granted he's a DH and doesn't walk much. But 36 HRs used to cover up a lot of sins. 

Or it demonstrates how questionable the concept of WAR can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ktpinnacle said:

Or it demonstrates how questionable the concept of WAR can be.

He's a DH with a 106 wRC+ who spent half his season playing a terrible RF. Him having a WAR of 0.7 is far down on the list of examples to question WAR with.

• Like 1

About a week and a half ago, there was an article on the "Least Valuable Sluggers of 2019," which listed 17 players who have 20 or more home runs and an fWAR of 1 or less.

There have been some low-average sluggers in the past who weren't loved by WAR -- Dave Kingman comes to mind -- but obviously, when everyone (okay, everyone except the Tigers) is hitting a ton of home runs, the average value of a homer in terms of its contribution to winning goes down.

5 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Since 1989 the Tigers have lost ~8% off of their All-Time winning percentage. Through their first 88 years the Tigers had the second best AL winning percentage. Now they are only 160 games over .500 and trail the Indians by 8 percentage points. Detroit is 239 games under .500 since 1989. The Tigers three seasons of 109 losses or more match the total number of 109 loss seasons from the rest of the league during this time.

The run from 2006-2016 was scintillating, although none of those teams won 100 games or were really ever the best team in baseball, sort of like the franchise's identity for its first 88 years. Competitive, with a few great teams and a smaller number of awful ones. Over the last three decade, however, the Tigers have shown more aptitude at being awful than great. 

this makes me sad.

almost as sad as knowing i will never be served broccoli with sprinkles by a hot japanese girl.

almost.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

To be frank, my biggest beef with the contemporary experience is the constant never-ending noise at the park (music, ads, etc.).  I would really like to experience some quiet interludes again....that made Baseball really special to me.

5 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Televised games back then were a treat because not all games were televised.  Now they’re all on.  Again, it’s  not necessarily a bad thing, but the significance of an individual televised game seems lessened now.

55 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

To be frank, my biggest beef with the contemporary experience is the constant never-ending noise at the park (music, ads, etc.).  I would really like to experience some quiet interludes again....that made Baseball really special to me.

Preach it Sabre. Just fricken' horrible. And Tiger Stadium is one of the quietest. Go to a Michigan football game and you will come home with your brains sonically scrambled. Twins games at the Metrodome were also close to unbearable. I actually started taking -20db earplugs with me when we would go see the Tigers there. 

• Thanks 1

The quality of the music played is terrible. And the walkup music? It has to go. Hire a halfway smart music person and overhaul the sound. Do we need Harry Belafonte singing Day-O? And the gosh awful trumpet fanfare that they for some reason flip it to the major key?

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Preach it Sabre. Just fricken' horrible. And Tiger Stadium is one of the quietest. Go to a Michigan football game and you will come home with your brains sonically scrambled. Twins games at the Metrodome were also close to unbearable. I actually started taking -20db earplugs with me when we would go see the Tigers there. 

Lowell Spinnahs are the worst I have seen anywhere.  A minor league park 7 miles from my house and I never go because the games are unwatchable.  

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

this makes me sad.

almost as sad as knowing i will never be served broccoli with sprinkles by a hot japanese girl.

almost.

I was just venting. I get no one cares about the Tigers All-Time winning percentage. I always liked, however, that the Tigers were consistently competitive. Not many long stretches of really bad baseball. Oh well. 

18 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Lowell Spinnahs are the worst I have seen anywhere.  A minor league park 7 miles from my house and I never go because the games are unwatchable.  

The Hens finally got rid of the John Denver music a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

The Hens finally got rid of the John Denver music a few years ago.

I always wondered why the Tigers played Thank God I'm A Country Boy during the games.

I mean, it's Detroit.  Pretty far from the country, Great Migration or no Great Migration...

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I always wondered why the Tigers played Thank God I'm A Country Boy during the games.

I mean, it's Detroit.  Pretty far from the country, Great Migration or no Great Migration...

LOL - Detroiters don't seem to aspire to being cosmopolitan.

12 hours ago, leflore said:

Also used to love TWIB. During my pre-cable youth it seemed like maybe 40 Tigers games were broadcast on CBS (in Grand Rapids) so most of my early Tigers memories came via my transistor radio. I used to keep a scorecard. Listening to Horton, Cash and Kaline was always a thrill

I loved listening to Ernie interviewing players.  And I remember thinking that Florsheim shoes must be pretty cool because he was always giving away a pair of them as I recall. 

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

Doesn't answer your question but I had read that Denver made everyone stop playing that song except for the Orioles because he was a fan of them.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Doesn't answer your question but I had read that Denver made everyone stop playing that song except for the Orioles because he was a fan of them.

its a mystery.  or, one might say, a funny funny riddle.

• Like 1