IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

On 9/9/2019 at 4:03 PM, chasfh said:

I'm glad because I'm coming in for tomorrow's game and I like the 640pm start. Gets me back to the hotel half an hour earlier.

I didn’t see this in until now.  Dammit. I would have met up with you.  I had an extra ticket too.  I ended up not going 

10 hours ago, Oblong said:

I didn’t see this in until now.  Dammit. I would have met up with you.  I had an extra ticket too.  I ended up not going 

Sorry to miss you. There’s always next year. 

Stewart's been on  nice little power run the last few games.  He'll make a fine DH when Miggy's knee collapses once and for all under the weight of his...Miggy-ness

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Sorry to miss you. There’s always next year. 

well your seats and company was better than I can offer :)

You'd have had me and the guy behind us, if he showed up, which I think he did from your picture.

25 minutes ago, Oblong said:

well your seats and company was better than I can offer :)

You'd have had me and the guy behind us, if he showed up, which I think he did from your picture.

With only 16,000 people showing up, you can pretty much make your seats as good as you like. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oblong said:

An interesting thread....

The sale price would be enormous and potentially hard to resist if they need cash to settle an estate.

9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

The sale price would be enormous and potentially hard to resist if they need cash to settle an estate.

But who is "They"?  Do we actually know who the specific beneficiaries of the Trust are if the team is sold?  We can guess, but who knows?  Mike could have done anything. He might have made it his kids, but then again, he might have done something specifically to protect the team from his kids (e.g. Atanis). 

OTOH - I think this is even more likely  be a big deal for the Lions when Martha passes.

It is being reported that the Trust beneficiaries are Miggie’s kids. 

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But who is "They"?  Do we actually know who the specific beneficiaries of the Trust are if the team is sold?  We can guess, but who knows?  Mike could have done anything. He might have made it his kids, but then again, he might have done something specifically to protect the team from his kids (e.g. Atanis). 

OTOH - I think this is even more likely  be a big deal for the Lions when Martha passes.

My reading of that thread is it's essentially Chris and Marian's call as the Trust had 3 voting members one 1 of them is dead.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

It is being reported that the Trust beneficiaries are Miggie’s kids. 

👍

16 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Goose, you have joined the 666 Club.  Your burgundy smoking jacket monogrammed with the word “Moran” as well as matching burgundy slippers will arrive via Next Day FedEx tomorrow by 10:30 AM. 

B9A6AD11-BEB8-4D26-A655-72D3839FC977.thumb.jpeg.0739210858b275d0d9627e22965c6d00.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Goose, you have joined the 666 Club.  Your burgundy smoking jacket monogrammed with the word “Moran” as well as matching burgundy slippers will arrive via Next Day FedEx tomorrow by 10:30 AM. 

B9A6AD11-BEB8-4D26-A655-72D3839FC977.thumb.jpeg.0739210858b275d0d9627e22965c6d00.jpeg

Thank you!  I'll feel like such a devil wearing that.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Thank you!  I'll feel like such a devil wearing that.

It’s sort of like being a member of “the players club“ Telly Savalas used to advertise on TV. But all you get is fame, no discounts. 

Depends when they sell, they I don't think they could clear $1.5B today.

Are we going to get a collection going now or are we waiting until the season is over?

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Depends when they sell, they I don't think they could clear $1.5B today.

I think this is pretty close to the number.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That Telly Savalas was a sharp dresser.

He was, and he provided a much-needed sales boost for Tootsie Roll Pops.

the marlins went for $1.3 billion a few years ago, i bet the tigers could fetch $2 billion.  people actually like the tigers.

Which of the five worst teams in baseball (Tigers, Orioles, Marlins, Royals, Blue Jays), do you think is in the worst shape for the future?

Doolittle: Have to go with the Tigers. Nobody's nadir should be this bad, though Astros fans will tell you that it doesn't make any difference. Detroit has drafted a couple of exciting young arms, but it's a drop in the bucket and for a team that has sunk this far, their payroll situation isn't all that great, either. On top of that, I haven't picked up on much to suggest the Tigers' baseball operations are operating on the cutting edge -- taking advantage of their current plight to modernize how they do things. This year should be rock bottom but I couldn't guarantee that it is.

Which of the five worst teams in baseball (Tigers, Orioles, Marlins, Royals, Blue Jays), do you think is the closest to making the playoffs?

Schoenfield: The Tigers at least have the potential of a rotation to build around in the near future, with current big leaguers Matthew Boyd, Spencer Turnbull and Daniel Morris, plus prospects Casey Mize and Matt Manning, two of the top 10 pitching prospects in the minors. They do have the advantage of playing in the AL Central. Unfortunately, they also have little in the way of position players and I don't have a lot of faith in the current front office or if Christopher Ilitch will be willing to spend on payroll like dad did. So, umm, I'll lean to the Blue Jays even though they're in a tough division. It looks like they have two young studs to build around and, in theory, they're a big-market team that has the ability to spend big if they want to win.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27601328/the-state-mlb-terrible-teams-very-worst-meet

Yeah, I'm concerned Chris won't spend. They have so many pitching prospects that odds are a few pan out. But their position prospects probably ranks in the bottom tier on mlb farms. There are some exciting teenagers and Parades. W Castro, Roger's and a few others closer to being ready seem to have a ceiling as an average major leaguer imho. Look at the Astros line-up. The Tigers are a million miles away. They will need FAs