IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Then they need to choose someone else who’s not another pitcher. They already have lots of pitching in the pipeline. 

That's the draft philosophy that leads to Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.  Pick the most talented/likely to succeed player and work it out later or it will work itself out.

• Like 1

I didn't see the Freep manifesto on Fenech discussed, so here you go:

Unethical' behavior

In a tweet Thursday, Verlander said Fenech showed “unethical” past behavior. 

It stems primarily from two incidents, Fenech says. 

The relationship began to deteriorate on Aug. 22, 2017, when Fenech joined a conversation Verlander was having with Al Kaline in the Tigers' clubhouse at Comerica Park. Fenech had just finished an interview with Verlander a few minutes prior, and Kaline's name had come up. Fenech began talking to the two men. 

During the conversation, which was casual in nature, Verlander talked about his experiences travelling to Tennessee and watching the solar eclipse on Aug. 21. Fenech posted two tweets about the exchange, saying

"Justin Verlander watched the solar eclipse from the Path of Totality. 'It was the most beautiful thing I've seen in my life,' he said."

That night, a Tigers media relations official told Fenech that Verlander was unhappy with the tweets. The next day, Verlander ripped Fenech in a profanity-laced rant inside the Tigers dugout in front of coaches, saying that his conversation with Kaline  was private. 

The next time they spoke, in a postgame media scrum on Aug. 25 in Chicago, Verlander told Fenech, “You should stop,” in response to a question about the mid-game verbal altercation Verlander had with teammate Victor Martinez after a brawl with the New York Yankees on Aug. 24. When Fenech asked a follow-up question, Verlander walked out of the scrum.

The next issue came on Sept. 12, 2018, during an interview that went on and off the record and ended with a disagreement about the context surrounding the exchange of a phone number.  

Fenech had been assigned to ask Verlander about a Bleacher Report story published Aug. 9, 2018, in which Verlander said the Tigers “misdiagnosed” an injury in 2015. The Free Press was the first Detroit media outlet to ask Verlander about the comments.

On Friday, I reviewed the audio of Fenech's interview with Verlander for the first time. And while it's clear to me that Verlander was on the record, I did discover that Fenech crossed an ethical line when early in the conversation he offered to give Verlander advice on how to respond to the misdiagnosis question: This point has been firmly made to Fenech. 

To be clear, this interaction is not what spurred Verlander to publicly question Fenech's ethics on Thursday. Verlander said, "sure go ahead," before declining the advice, giving his own statement and telling Fenech he "appreciated" the opportunity to clarify his quotes if needed. 

Ultimately, the Free Press found that Fenech's attempt to be helpful in an awkward situation had no impact on the veracity of the reporting. 

“This was a momentary lapse of judgment intended to build trust with the subject in this particular situation," Fenech said Saturday.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/08/24/houston-astros-justin-verlander-anthony-fenech-detroit-free-press/2099291001/

Fenech is a slimy fellow...but Verlander gave his cause more oxygen by banning him.

Baring truly unforeseen circumstances, the Tigers will not surpass or equal their 2003 record for futility, yet will still get the #1 pick. And there are glimmers of hope about the team on occasion. This is the best of all possible worlds.  This is making lemonade out of lemons. This is psychedelic mushrooms growing in a cow pie in a war zone.

• Like 1

Jake Rogers has struck out 33 times in 67 at-bats. His defense plays and when he does make contact sometimes good things happen. The same thing will probably happen to Cameron etc whenever he gets called up. We've seen it with Candelario and Stewart and the plethora of 4A hitters they have.

53 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'd rather have the mushrooms

As Jeff Goldblum‘s character in Jurassic Park says, “life finds a way…“

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And let's be real....Jeff's eaten more than a few 'srooms.

Is that why he "blossomed" in Ragnarok?

4 hours ago, kdog said:

Jake Rogers has struck out 33 times in 67 at-bats. His defense plays and when he does make contact sometimes good things happen. The same thing will probably happen to Cameron etc whenever he gets called up. We've seen it with Candelario and Stewart and the plethora of 4A hitters they have.

He, along with Candelario,, Stewart, and usually Lugo, look totally outmatched by MLB pitching.  It's hard to imagine any of those guys having a very long MLB career with their hitting skills.

Unless he improves drastically, Rogers looks like a backup catcher simply because he is a good receiver, but even backup catchers have to hit a little bit.  1 hit in his last 31 ABs with 18 Ks isn't going to cut it for even the sorry Tigers.

10 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Baring truly unforeseen circumstances, the Tigers will not surpass or equal their 2003 record for futility, yet will still get the #1 pick. And there are glimmers of hope about the team on occasion. This is the best of all possible worlds.  This is making lemonade out of lemons. This is psychedelic mushrooms growing in a cow pie in a war zone.

Still, it would have been more interesting and would have spawned more water-cooler conversation if they had managed to be historically bad instead of being just a run-of-the-mill awful baseball team.

13 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

That's the draft philosophy that leads to Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan.  Pick the most talented/likely to succeed player and work it out later or it will work itself out.

No. Pick the top hitter available in the 2020 draft. This organization desperately needs top hitting prospects.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

No. Pick the top hitter available in the 2020 draft. This organization desperately needs top hitting prospects.

I would guess there is an excellent chance that by next summer there is a position player available that has a good enough year and can play a defensive position that Tork will not remain the #1 pick favorite.

AA needs to go to Miggy and say, "Look at what Andrew Luck did. Do you want to end up like him? Let's talk about you retiring so you can enjoy the rest of your life with what health you've got left. We'll negotiate a buyout. " Of course his response would likely be "Who is this Andrew Luck?"

But it's worth a try. The Luck retirement opens a door for potential retirement of all overpaid old guys. 

It's not that we're thinking of the $128 million, Miguelito. We're thinking only of your health and dignity.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

The money is spent.  Just cut him if/when the time comes.

Yep.  Why should he negotiate a buyout for less than what he is already guaranteed to get?

Plus the players' union is adamantly opposed to anyone renegotiating a contract to take less than he is entitled to, so that rarely if ever happens in baseball.

30 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Yep.  Why should he negotiate a buyout for less than what he is already guaranteed to get?

Why would he? To get his time back from February to October, if that matters to him. If he likes being around the team and game, then there would be no reason. But it is true there is a lot pressure from peers not to walk away from money.

I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before his deal was up.... not saying its likely but it's a long season and if he gets to the point where his body isn't letting him do what he wants he could say "screw it. I've got enough money... I want to watch my kids grow up from February to October".  

I'd put the odds at 20%.  He's made $270 million so far... 

G2 said pretty much the same thing I was as I was typing it.... then I went to BR page to see his career earnings.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before his deal was up.... not saying its likely but it's a long season and if he gets to the point where his body isn't letting him do what he wants he could say "screw it. I've got enough money... I want to watch my kids grow up from February to October".  

I'd put the odds at 20%.  He's made $270 million so far... 

Insert 'joke' about which kids.