IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But teams are losing money.

Yes, they're losing money every game, but making it up in volume.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That's why the public should fund stadium projects.

Exactly right, why just look at those artists' conceptions of all the fancy wine bars and art galleries and new hotels around the new stadium.  And the light rail transit without any overhead wires.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That's why the public should fund stadium projects.

MLB teams are massive rent seekers.  It's easy when you have both a monopoly and a piece of every Michgander's heart.

52 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Haven’t read this, but:

I don’t have a subscription, and I don’t feel like signing up for a free one without the certain possibility of being able to read this so can somebody summarize the gist of it? 

43 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I don’t have a subscription, and I don’t feel like signing up for a free one without the certain possibility of being able to read this so can somebody summarize the gist of it? 

I was able to read it and I don’t have a paid subscription, so I guess the free version is somewhat useful. 

Summary: You wouldn’t think an old guy like gardy would embrace analytics, but he does, especially for defensive positioning. The front office geeks meet with him regularly and do a good job of explaining what their data means and he has bought in, for the most part. He doesn’t want to just be told the results, he wants to know why and what it means. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I was able to read it and I don’t have a paid subscription, so I guess the free version is somewhat useful. 

Summary: You wouldn’t think an old guy like gardy would embrace analytics, but he does, especially for defensive positioning. The front office geeks meet with him regularly and do a good job of explaining what their data means and he has bought in, for the most part. He doesn’t want to just be told the results, he wants to know why and what it means. 

sportz was not fond of the article...very cynical and negative :(.

Whenever Gardy talks about analytics, it's always about defense. What about pitching and hitting?  

2 hours ago, kdog said:

sportz was not fond of the article...very cynical and negative :(.

Shocking 

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Whenever Gardy talks about analytics, it's always about defense. What about pitching and hitting?  

Did you read the article?

Not that it actually matters. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Did you read the article?

Not that it actually matters. 

No, it says I need a subscription. I'm basing it off of your summary. Did he actually talk about hitting and pitching? 

Just now, bobrob2004 said:

No, it says I need a subscription. I'm basing it off of your summary. Did he actually talk about hitting and pitching? 

He definitely talked about pitching. 

Not sure what you can say about hitting. Hit the ball more?

its a free account. Just sign up. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I'm not sure how you can read the article on a free account, but I can't. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

On hitting: batting order optimization, launch angles, exit velocity, batted ball data, etc.  A lot can be said. 

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

On hitting: batting order optimization, launch angles, exit velocity, batted ball data, etc.  A lot can be said. 

Meh. I know a lot can be said. I meant “what can be done.” Batting order optimization is so overblown. Launch angles are great in the right situation. Exit velocity is a result, not something you can teach. Batted ball data is the same thing. 

21 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Meh. I know a lot can be said. I meant “what can be done.” Batting order optimization is so overblown. Launch angles are great in the right situation. Exit velocity is a result, not something you can teach. Batted ball data is the same thing. 

The article was about people explaining this stuff to Gardy.  Are they actually doing it?  Or is he just not understanding it yet? 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Exit velocity is a result, not something you can teach. Batted ball data is the same thing. 

Yeah - I agree some of the statcast batted ball measurement data can have as much or more value to the fans than to teams and hitters. Hitters have always known how and in various era's tried to hit more or less ground or fly balls. Hitters that hit the ball harder and further will in general have better stats across the board, so you are not finding hitters you somehow didn't know about by looking at launch angles. What is most useful to teams and hitters is the aggregate data like the trend in HR/FB ratio (how live is the ball) and % outs turned on ground balls, effectiveness of shifts etc. Those are more the things that actually help you decide strategy - do you want to lift the ball or pull the ball, try to beat the shift or hit over it, etc. Of course individual batted ball data also provides the capability for new fielding metrics and that is new value - but not so much to the hitters!

OTOH, individual metrics on pitchers is a whole different story.

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

Batting order optimization is so overblown.

Ain't no way to optimize the Tiger lineup.  Offensive black holes at C, 2B, SS, and CF mostly every day.  The only way to optimize is to get guys batting out of turn.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Ain't no way to optimize the Tiger lineup.  Offensive black holes at C, 2B, SS, and CF mostly every day.  The only way to optimize is to get guys batting out of turn.

Maybe we should provide the other team with in-game refreshments and try to run a 5 man batting order past them?

If the Tampa Bay Rays moved to Charlotte and became the Charlotte Rays - would Mrs. Garrett from The Facts of Life be their new logo?  

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

Dang it... I signed up for the monthly.... 

For old timers like Gardy and Anderson I could see Analytics as confirmation for what they've always been trying to do visually.