IdahoBert

2019 REGULAR SEASON DISCUSSION THREAD

46490D01-ED16-469C-958C-69AD9076F0BC.thumb.jpeg.1d4635d8d30134f137a7993c5a03017e.jpeg

Since the off-season discussion thread is a great opportunity to discuss everything Tigers or baseball-related we might as well have one for the regular season. I’ve already done you the favor of posting the first cat picture.  I even touched out the Tiger’s tail that was sticking straight up for balance because it looked suspiciously like a male reproductive organ. I want this to be a family thread. And please, no wagering. 

According to reports, the tigers added Beckham to the 40 man, so it appears he will have some regular season relevance. 

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

“Relevance” is relative.

He will be on the regular season team. 

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He will be on the regular season team. 

Or as they used to say it - "he'll go north with the team"

In terms of interest, this is going to be the toughest year for the hardcore fan base. The majority of the top prospects traded for and drafted since the white flag trades are going to be pushed slowly, as they should. The farm system, despite the trading of all the movable pieces they had in 2017 and a draft class that had us drafting first,  is still firmly middle of the pack, which points out that this rebuild will likely take several more years. And now the top young player they foolishly retained is out for a year and his career in doubt. Our off season additions included the worst starting pitcher among qualifiers last year, a journeyman SS expected to get 500 AB's, and a second baseman also expected to get 500 AB's that had a .285 obp last year. He might lead off.

Next year we'll probably see many of the best young prospects start hitting Detroit, the top draft classes will start to pile up, and hopefully AA will find a diamond in the rough somewhere. Given how weak the central is, we could be a .500 team in 2021 with a couple of breaks. How long until they have a championship type core in place remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Despite the OBP black holes, I think that we're going to see a better offense this year.

I can't see being shut out even 75% as many times as they were last year. 

I'm ready.

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This team might well lose 110 games.

I'd be willing to wager with you on that one.  ?

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

46490D01-ED16-469C-958C-69AD9076F0BC.thumb.jpeg.1d4635d8d30134f137a7993c5a03017e.jpeg

Since the off-season discussion thread is a great opportunity to discuss everything Tigers or baseball-related we might as well have one for the regular season. I’ve already done you the favor of posting the first cat picture.  I even touched out the Tiger’s tail that was sticking straight up for balance because it looked suspiciously like a male reproductive organ. I want this to be a family thread. And please, no wagering. 

You are too modest. This is to cat pictures what the Mona Lisa is to selfies.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

This is the part where chas will argue there is a non-zero chance they will lose 110 games so his statement is accurate.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

You’d have to give me odds on that one, but it probably wouldn’t matter what they were because as soon as I commit to it, they’ll go 53-109. :grin: 

54 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This is the part where chas will argue there is a non-zero chance they will lose 110 games so his statement is accurate.

?

Thursday the season starts.  I really wanted it to start and now I’m not so sure. Playing real games is scary because we’re finding out what we’re getting.  Not definitively, of course. It’s sort of like wondering if you’re going to get a bicycle or clothes for your birthday, though. There will be an answer. Either way, if we get a bicycle it probably won’t be a good one, and if we get clothes we just have to hope we don’t look stupid in them. 

• Like 3

Sorry Bert, but ain' gonna be no bike and ain' gonna be no clothes either.  But let's look on the bright side:  On Opening Day we could very possibly have the worst defensive OF in the History of the Game...Stewie, Goodie, and Nick.  (Any way of measuring this?)

And if that doesn't do it for ya, there's always Gordon, sittin' on the bench just waitin' to strut his stuff.

Did Seattle and Oakland already start their regular season on March 20 and March 21 in Tokyo Japan .. and are now back to playing Spring Training games again?  Am shaking my head and wondering ..How dumb is that?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chasfh said:

This team might well lose 110 games.

This division is a cornucopia of crap.  That might be what keeps the Tigers from 110 losses.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

Did Seattle and Oakland already start their regular season on March 20 and March 21 in Tokyo Japan .. and are now back to playing Spring Training games again?  Am shaking my head and wondering ..How dumb is that?

Dumb.

5 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

It's different, sure. I don't see what the big deal is or why it's dumb though. Both teams had the same disadvantages. 

Amazingly, I still find myself excited to have Tiger baseball back.   Really wondered given this roster but here I am, having moved around my Thursday work calendar so I can watch the game live (in Texas so attending not possible).  

I agree with sentiment expressed earlier in this thread that this year should be the bottom.  Not saying it's their last terrible year for sure but at the bottom for "interesting" as I think the end of this year and early next we should start seeing an influx of some of the farm folks.

No matter, as of Thursday I'll be rooting for the '69 Mets Part II.

• Like 1

I think the absence of Victor helps significantly. Whether or not we lose 110 or more will come down to Miggy's health/performance and how long we keep Casty. And at least one of the FA pitchers will need to step up, preferably AFTER the trade deadline (so we get to keep him).

• Like 1

Success this season would look like a bounce back from Cabrera, strides for Candelario, Jones and Jiminez, 450+ AB’s for Greiner and Stewart, 160 IP for Norris, deadline trades including Greene, Ross and Castellanos for prospects and a top 3 pick in the 2020 amateur draft.

#tank2019

• Like 1

I felt better about this season this morning after a nice bowl and watching this: