Sign in to follow this  
drownwithyou

Howard Gets a 1 Year Extension

Mildly surprised at the cost... I think the bonus is $1.1 million if they make the playoffs so......

Hoping this helps bridge the way to future star goalie Filip Larsson (just got nominated for college goalie of the year as a freshman at Denver)

Edit: Bob McKenzie confirmed no no trade/movement clauses in the deal!

Really disappointed to see that NTC. We should be able to shop him around in the event a team has a goaltending need at or near the trade deadline. 

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Really disappointed to see that NTC. We should be able to shop him around in the event a team has a goaltending need at or near the trade deadline. 

It is confusing because of the double no (I didn't have enough brainpower to change it to something easier) but there aren't any restrictions, unless you wanted him to have a NTC?

Edit: AWESOME!!! I was not against Howard returning, I just think we should have the flexibility to move him for picks/prospects if some team comes calling. Glad to see that there is not an NTC in this deal.

“Bonus for playoff appearances” was a good way for the Wings to make Howard’s contract appear better, since there’s little chance they will make the playoffs next season (and ideally they won’t as they need to tank again). 

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

“Bonus for playoff appearances” was a good way for the Wings to make Howard’s contract appear better, since there’s little chance they will make the playoffs next season (and ideally they won’t as they need to tank again). 

I think it is more of a little trade kicker if he is traded to a contender. So, he doesn’t have a nontrade clause, but in the event he is traded, which he would probably prefer if the wings miss the playoffs again, he gets more money. 

I don’t think it’s about making the contract look better than it is. 

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think it is more of a little trade kicker if he is traded to a contender. So, he doesn’t have a nontrade clause, but in the event he is traded, which he would probably prefer if the wings miss the playoffs again, he gets more money. 

I don’t think it’s about making the contract look better than it is. 

At first I thought of it as a mild “no” trade clause as a team may hesitate to get him for a playoff run if it costs a bonus. But I’m sure the Wings will just retain the bonus amount (and maybe more?) if a trade ever does materialize, and it is a nice bonus to Jimmy for taking a friendly deal and getting Detroit trade compensation. 

It sounds like he’s happy to be back in Detroit so this seems like a great deal for the Wings to me all things considered. 

I also like how Howard said yesterday that he's fine with signing one-year contracts with the Wings for as long as he's wanted. You can't ask for more flexibility for the Wings than that.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I also like how Howard said yesterday that he's fine with signing one-year contracts with the Wings for as long as he's wanted. You can't ask for more flexibility for the Wings than that.

It really is best case scenario for the Wings while they wait for their prospects to develop.  Jimmy doesn't have to uproot his family too.

13 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

It really is best case scenario for the Wings while they wait for their prospects to develop.  Jimmy doesn't have to uproot his family too.

I have no issue with Howard staying, as long as he doesn't deter the tank-without-tanking initiative too much.