LooseGoose

2019 NCAA Tournament

These guys are more optimistic than I am.....but maybe X can slow Zion down IF we get there.

Izzo shrugs off bracket kerfuffle, focuses on Michigan State's task ahead

In fact, Lunardi, along with ESPN’s Jay Bilas and Andy Katz of NCAA.com, think Michigan State will beat Duke in the regional final and reach the Final Four in Minneapolis.

And that’s what Michigan State will worry about as it prepares to take on Bradley, the champions of the Missouri Valley Conference.

54 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Do you think they got hosed, Goose?

I have to admit, I find the discussion regarding the MSU seed and regional placement to be quite interesting. 

I agree that MSU did not end up with a favorable elite 8 matchup, but I don’t think there is anything unfair or inequitable about it. The committee followed their procedures objectively when they placed MSU where they did. 

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

Do you think they got hosed, Goose?

I have to admit, I find the discussion regarding the MSU seed and regional placement to be quite interesting. 

I agree that MSU did not end up with a favorable elite 8 matchup, but I don’t think there is anything unfair or inequitable about it. The committee followed their procedures objectively when they placed MSU where they did. 

Well....I think they decided at halftime that UM was going to win and did the seedings.   Is that tin foil hat?

But I really I don't get too cranked about it, if you're going to win this year sooner or later you probably have to beat Duke.

I think the Big Ten overall got hosed if you look at the seedings.   Supposedly the toughest conference.   That shows somewhat with 8 bids but at the same time the individual seedings weren't very good.   How is it that the winner of the regular season and the tournament of the "toughest" conference doesn't get a 1 and the ACC gets 3 #1's?   

I think the winner of the MSU/UM game should have gotten a 1, the loser a 2 and I could even see Purdue on the 2 line.  I think MN is underseeded too although young Pitino will probably find a way to lose to L'Ville.   I think having MN and MD in our bracket is BS, but as Izzo said after the 1st day or two of upsets it won't really matter.

And really for people saying UM got an easy ride - I don't think they watched much CBB.   That Nevada team can be tough and Texas Tech is really good when they're playing right.   It wouldn't shock me to see UM blow either out or get beat by them.  Honestly if they get by those two I think they'll go back to the Final Four.   Wouldn't it be nuts if that happened and MSU happened to get lucky and we had a 4th meeting in Minny?    The state would go crazy.

So TL:DR - it's not really a big deal to me.   IF you want to win a title, just win the games.

3 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Well....I think they decided at halftime that UM was going to win and did the seedings.   Is that tin foil hat?

But I really I don't get too cranked about it, if you're going to win this year sooner or later you probably have to beat Duke.

I think the Big Ten overall got hosed if you look at the seedings.   Supposedly the toughest conference.   That shows somewhat with 8 bids but at the same time the individual seedings weren't very good.   How is it that the winner of the regular season and the tournament of the "toughest" conference doesn't get a 1 and the ACC gets 3 #1's?   

I think the winner of the MSU/UM game should have gotten a 1, the loser a 2 and I could even see Purdue on the 2 line.  I think MN is underseeded too although young Pitino will probably find a way to lose to L'Ville.   I think having MN and MD in our bracket is BS, but as Izzo said after the 1st day or two of upsets it won't really matter.

And really for people saying UM got an easy ride - I don't think they watched much CBB.   That Nevada team can be tough and Texas Tech is really good when they're playing right.   It wouldn't shock me to see UM blow either out or get beat by them.  Honestly if they get by those two I think they'll go back to the Final Four.   Wouldn't it be nuts if that happened and MSU happened to get lucky and we had a 4th meeting in Minny?    The state would go crazy.

So TL:DR - it's not really a big deal to me.   IF you want to win a title, just win the games.

On your last point, yeah. 

I don’t believe the tin foil theory. We saw the final seed list. MSU was 6 and Michigan was 8. Tennessee was 5 and Kentucky was 7. Had Michigan won, maybe Michigan would have been 7 and MSU 8. Or maybe M was locked in at 8 and MSU would be 7 with a loss. 

I don’t think conference championships carry any weight. It’s just the games you win and lose. 

Unfortunately for MSU, they lost some bad games. I think that’s what kept them from a 1 seed. 

Maybe the NCAA will change the way they fill the regions and use the s curve for the top 2 seed lines instead of just for the 1 seeds. 

I agree with your take on the path to the elite 8. MSU has a much easier path than Michigan. 

The Minnesota thing is a non factor. They only played MSU once this year so that’s allowed. 

I think the big ten was seeded fairly. 

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

On your last point, yeah. 

I don’t believe the tin foil theory. We saw the final seed list. MSU was 6 and Michigan was 8. Tennessee was 5 and Kentucky was 7. Had Michigan won, maybe Michigan would have been 7 and MSU 8. Or maybe M was locked in at 8 and MSU would be 7 with a loss. 

I don’t think conference championships carry any weight. It’s just the games you win and lose. 

Unfortunately for MSU, they lost some bad games. I think that’s what kept them from a 1 seed. 

Maybe the NCAA will change the way they fill the regions and use the s curve for the top 2 seed lines instead of just for the 1 seeds. 

I agree with your take on the path to the elite 8. MSU has a much easier path than Michigan. 

The Minnesota thing is a non factor. They only played MSU once this year so that’s allowed. 

I think the big ten was seeded fairly. 

Honestly I'm just looking forward to feasting on watching it.

My most anticipated non rooting interest games:

Thurs  -    Yale/ LSU  - Auburn/New Mexico St -  Murray St/Marquette  -  Nevada/Florida

Friday  -  VCU/UCF  

Which of course means the Friday games will be better than Thursday.

I underestimated Minnesota.  I filled out 3 brackets and picked them to lose in all 3, also picked Maryland to lose in 2 and they survived.  I always seem to be down on the non elite Big 10 teams. 

Shawn Windsor of the Freep actually nails the Izzo yelling non-story pretty well here:

Tom Izzo's outburst nothing new. It's who he is, and that ain't all bad

DES MOINES, Iowa – Tom Izzo is a screamer. But he didn’t become one Thursday afternoon at Wells Fargo Arena. 

He has been howling at the moon since the first time he saw it. His players know this. His coaches know this. Anyone who has watched his Michigan State Spartans play over the past two decades should know it. 

It’s what he does. If you don’t like the way he coaches, that’s fine. It’s not for everyone. But that’s a different conversation.  

Because what he did to Aaron Henry in the second half of Thursday's 76-65 win over Bradley in the NCAA tournament is nothing new. 

Izzo didn’t like the way Henry was “jogging” back on defense. He met Henry several feet out on the court during a timeout and lit in to him, pointing a finger at his face.  

Cameras zoomed in. Screen grabs got made. Izzo's outburst went viral.   

Yet when Foster Loyer had to intervene to keep Izzo from yelling at Gabe Brown a week ago in Chicago, everyone shrugged. And when Izzo ripped into Cassius Winston during MSU’s opening game against Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament, to the point that the Spartans’ point guard refused to sit next to Izzo on the bench, no one made a screen grab and sent it to China. 

Just as no one compiled a GIF of Izzo’s sprint to Xavier Tillman near the scorer’s table during the same tournament, and began to scream, while Tillman yelled back, pleading with his coach to “listen to me!!!!” 

B1GTen 6-0 after the Iowa win.   Now up to Wisconsin and tOSU to uphold the honor.

If we go 8-0 vs the so far lackluster performance of the ACC perhaps there will be more conversation over the seeding?

3 ACC #1's  vs the B1GTen getting 2 2's and a 3 for their top 3 teams.

8 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

B1GTen 6-0 after the Iowa win.   Now up to Wisconsin and tOSU to uphold the honor.

If we go 8-0 vs the so far lackluster performance of the ACC perhaps there will be more conversation over the seeding?

3 ACC #1's  vs the B1GTen getting 2 2's and a 3 for their top 3 teams.

Wisky falls. OSU hangs on. 5/6 remain. Off course one less has to be left after MSU/Minny.....

6 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Wisky falls. OSU hangs on. 5/6 remain. Off course one less has to be left after MSU/Minny.....

7-1 after round one.....13-2 still possible after round 2.   6 teams into the Sweet 16 would be an incredibly strong showing, though pretty unlikely.

Today's headlines:

NCAA tournament second round schedule: Tip times, TV info

How Michigan State and Minnesota will make history in second round

Wojo: Before stirring the Izzo debate, listen to Aaron Henry

Purdue, MSU, UM in the 16, Maryland falls a bucket short. Iowa and OSU alive but underdogs tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Purdue, MSU, UM in the 16, Maryland falls a bucket short. Iowa and OSU alive but underdogs tomorrow.

And strong performances from all 3 winners.   I may regret this but I'm happier to see LSU opposite MSU - MD is dangerous and is going to be moreso next season.

KenPom teams remaining:

Every team #1-#14

#18 LSU 
#29 Oregon

And Oregon won their conference tournament.   

So we're very close to what a 16 team NCAA tourney would have looked like.

Wow, Izzo took so much 💩 for the Henry situation.  This guy is a million times worse.  What the heck is he doing intentionally insulting an opposing player like this repeatedly 

Last night was a helluva night of basketball.  If you missed it, you missed it.

Agree!  Two fantastic games.   The back and forth in the second half of the Purdue game was great stuff.  

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Agree!  Two fantastic games.   The back and forth in the second half of the Purdue game was great stuff.  

And to think that the odds were really in their favor before the last play of regulation occurred.

Carson Edwards made himself a little bit more coin last night.  That streak of NBA long range 3s was just amazing.