Keepleyland2

3/14 @ 1:05 Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers

The offense was silly good when Bohanon started:

image.png.7cbd97a0a996fddf8e83508d6233520c.png

And it had to be to stay in the game, because he was just awful:

image.png.6a841d85445d6623c5aeb239df61b6da.png

Or maybe he was just channeling his inner Jack Morris?

Poor Bohanon, he missed being on the '96 staff by one year.  That '96 pitching staff, featuring Brian Williams, that was one for the ages.

31 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Poor Bohanon, he missed being on the '96 staff by one year.  That '96 pitching staff, featuring Brian Williams, that was one for the ages.

He would’ve been better off with a career choice like his brother who was the drummer for Led Zeppelin. Money for nothing and the chicks for free. 

45b9d460-8cc3-4665-9427-cf22b7ad44c8_100

I’ve never seen this. The #Tigers meeting with Tony Clark and the players union was moved from the clubhouse to a back field. And went 2 1/2 hours. That’s twice as long as these things usually last. These are fascinating times in baseball!

\Jayson Stark

• Like 1

If you look closely you can see castellanos jumping up and down and crying about not having an extension. 

Victor Reyes reassigned to Toledo. Hackosky's dreams dashed.

14 minutes ago, kdog said:

Victor Reyes reassigned to Toledo. Hackosky's dreams dashed.

That’s ok. He can still get tumescent over the Jordy-JoHa DP combo. 

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/3/14/18265580/mlb-new-rule-changes-relief-pitchers-home-run-derby

• Position players will not be allowed to pitch unless: 1) the game goes into extra innings, or 2) the team is ahead or behind by at least eight runs. (I might hate this one most of all).
  • 2020 Season

• No more LOOGY — That’s right, the one-batter pitcher is no more. Starting in the 2020 season, all pitchers will be required to face a minimum of three batters.
  • Teams will now have a 26-man roster for the first five months of the season, and a 28-man roster in September.

So no 40-man roster in September?  Is that right or am I missing some nuance here? That seems like a huge, huge concession by the players. 

Active Roster Provisions:

• The active roster limit from Opening Day through August 31st and in Postseason games will increase from 25 to 26, and the minimum number of active players will increase from 24 to 25.  The current Major League Rules allowing for a 26th player for doubleheaders will be amended to allow for a 27th player.
  • Elimination of 40-man active roster limit in September.  From September 1st through the end of the championship season, all Clubs must carry 28 players on the active roster.
  • The number of pitchers a Club may carry on the active roster will be capped at a number determined by the joint committee.  Clubs must designate each of its players as either a pitcher or a position player prior to each player’s first day on the active roster for a given season.  That designation will remain in effect for the player, and cannot change, for the remainder of the championship season and Postseason.  No player on the active roster other than those designated as pitchers by the Club may appear in a championship season or Postseason game as a pitcher except in the following scenarios:
    • Players designated as a “Two-Way Player.”  A player qualifies as a “Two-Way Player” only if he accrues at least 20 Major League innings pitched and at least 20 Major League games started as a position player or designated hitter (with at least three plate appearances in each of those games) in either the current championship season or the prior championship season;
    • Following the ninth inning of an extra-inning game; or
    • In any game in which his team is losing or winning by more than six runs when the player enters as a pitcher.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=181313&ATCLID=211795471&DB_OEM_ID=34000

15 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

So no 40-man roster in September?  Is that right or am I missing some nuance here? That seems like a huge, huge concession by the players. 

It’s not really a huge concession, in my opinion. Most rosters only expand to around 28 right now anyway. Maybe a few aaa pitchers don’t get called up. They will also use the DL in September, which most teams didn’t bother with. 

To the extent it is a concession, I think adding the 26th roster spot more than makes up for it.

I like the three batter minimum. That will effectively limit mid inning pitching changes to one per inning. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I like the three batter minimum. That will effectively limit mid inning pitching changes to one per inning. 

I don't - fans are not going to like it when a guy comes in wild and walks three guys and you just have to take it. Designating pitchers is obviously the prelude to limiting the number of pitchers on the staff.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't - fans are not going to like it when a guy comes in wild and walks three guys and you just have to take it.

Depends on which team you are rooting for. 

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't - fans are not going to like it when a guy comes in wild and walks three guys and you just have to take it.

I don’t think this is going to happen often enough to be an issue. That said, what are we comparing this to? Putting aside the guy who is brought in to face a single batter only, how often does a guy come in and walk the first guy such that the manager will immediately pull the plug? That doesn’t seem to happen very often. Maybe if he walks the second guy, the manager might make a move. Even then, I think the manager is just as likely to let the guy have the third batter. 

I think the reality is that some two batter stints will be extended by one. Just doesn’t seem like a big deal. But I think it sure beats having an inning with multiple pitching changes. 

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Depends on which team you are rooting for. 

He's got a point there.

I don't know about the 3 batter minimum.  I understand the thought behind limiting pitching changes leading to saving time.  But I don't think I like altering the strategy part of the game.  If a manager wants to try his hand at reliever roulette, so be it.  Personally I hate it, but I understand why it occurs.  Maybe a better way to handle this is reduce the time for a pitching change during the inning?  I would much prefer if they went after the time in between pitches in order to save time.

I do like limiting the September rosters.  I don't know that many teams actually carried a lot of extra players, particularly now in the age of limiting experience to gain that extra year of control.  I guess I never thought much of it until recently, but it does seem awfully odd to play most of the season with 25 and then one month with anywhere between 25 - 40.

I don't like the designations of players.  Again, I think this goes back to strategy, unless I am reading this wrong.  If a team wants to go with 13 pitchers, so be it.  If a team stumbles upon a position player that can pitch an inning here and there, let it happen regardless of the score.

7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know about the 3 batter minimum.  I understand the thought behind limiting pitching changes leading to saving time.  But I don't think I like altering the strategy part of the game.  If a manager wants to try his hand at reliever roulette, so be it.  Personally I hate it, but I understand why it occurs.  Maybe a better way to handle this is reduce the time for a pitching change during the inning?  I would much prefer if they went after the time in between pitches in order to save time.

I do like limiting the September rosters.  I don't know that many teams actually carried a lot of extra players, particularly now in the age of limiting experience to gain that extra year of control.  I guess I never thought much of it until recently, but it does seem awfully odd to play most of the season with 25 and then one month with anywhere between 25 - 40.

I don't like the designations of players.  Again, I think this goes back to strategy, unless I am reading this wrong.  If a team wants to go with 13 pitchers, so be it.  If a team stumbles upon a position player that can pitch an inning here and there, let it happen regardless of the score.

Designation of players seems fine to me. There is a provision that allows for teams to designate some guys as two way players. I think they need to have 20 innings pitched and 20 games started. Interestingly, that would allow teams to strategically use some players in certain roles to get them to that point. For example, if one of your position players has a bit of pitching skill, you could use him more often. Or if it’s september and you’re out of the race, you could start a reliever as the DH, and then in the next season he wouldn’t have to be counted as a pitcher. 

I think the three batter minimum can allow for some strategy, which may or may not work. Intentional walks are bad, but you could use that as a way to burn through one of the batters. Maybe you go to your loogy with 2 outs in an inning earlier than you typically would do so.