IdahoBert

OFF DAY 2019 Spring training Thread

3 hours ago, kdog said:

Reading between the lines, which is responsible, the Tigers seem to be looking at Norris in a long relief role to start the regular season. Said manager Ron Gardenhire: “We can use him a lot of different ways.” Said Norris: “I just want to help the team.”

It might not be such a bad idea - he probably can't/shouldn't pitch enough innings this year to take 30 starts even if he had won the job clearly. If they use him occasionally and keep him stretched out, they could move him into the rotation later after they move Moore or Ross and he would have enough left in the tank to finish the season.

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

The most recent review of the book on amazon was done by Bill Emblom, a familiar name. He, like most everyone else, gave it a 5 Star rating. 

Bill was my 4th grade teacher and Little League coach. A true Tigers fan and baseball junkie. If he said it was good, it was good. Kind of God like up here.

44 minutes ago, Crikker said:

Bill was my 4th grade teacher and Little League coach. A true Tigers fan and baseball junkie. If he said it was good, it was good. Kind of God like up here.

Bill used to post on one of the predecessor Tiger forums to this site as I recall (help me out old timers). I always find his book reviews informative and reliable. I can imagine that knowing him personally would be pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It might not be such a bad idea - he probably can't/shouldn't pitch enough innings this year to take 30 starts even if he had won the job clearly. If they use him occasionally and keep him stretched out, they could move him into the rotation later after they move Moore or Ross and he would have enough left in the tank to finish the season.

I don’t think it’s a good idea. I still think you need to keep giving him every chance to start. He’s got an option. Let him work in Toledo. 

I suppose if you start him at Toledo and bring him back after a trade and he runs out of innings near the end of the season, someone out of the golden 6 should be ready for a Sept call up. Well Mize would probably be out of innings also, but that still leaves 5. Or they could just hold Norris to a lot of shorter starts this season where ever he is pitching - they are going to have a lot of BP arms.

Excited for tomorrow. It’s the big Shep-Mario throwdown in Lakeland. 

On 3/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, 1776 said:

In the next couple of hours I am expecting a book that Mickey Lolich and Tom Gage did on the 1968 Tiger’s season to be delivered. Only found out about this book the other day, a 2018 publication. 

‘The Summer of 68’ book was very good when I read it several years ago and I’m sure there will be plenty of overlap but this new book is told from Lolich’s perspective.

The above mentioned book was a winner. Very easy read. I lol several times while reading the book. Definitely recommend to all Tiger fans. It is an autobiography of Lolich with Tom Gage helping steer. He shares his opinions of the times and the players he played with. I think I paid $16 bucks for it on amazon. 

Has anyone ever read Freehan’s, Behind the Mask? Recommend? 

I read Freehan's Behind the Mask way back in the 70's .. I recall it being well worth the time.  I still have it.  And now that you have mentioned it ..I just might start reading it again tonight!

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

I read Freehan's Behind the Mask way back in the 70's .. I recall it being well worth the time.  I still have it.  And now that you have mentioned it ..I just might start reading it again tonight!

Thanks for the feedback 👍