IdahoBert

OFF DAY 2019 Spring training Thread

I set up my xfinity to record games like 3 days ago and have yet to see a game because for some reason it is not recording.

Thanks for making this thread so I could say that.

• Like 1

It’s a 5.9 MB file.  So you could download it send it to Walgreens and print out a perfect high definition print and give it to people you love for Christmas.  You’re welcome. 

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

I set up my xfinity to record games like 3 days ago and have yet to see a game because for some reason it is not recording.

A customer!  Somebody visited the thread!   You’re welcome!  Let’s discuss baseball. How much did fans love Juan Gonzalez? A lot, a whole lot, or just a little bit?

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

A customer!  Somebody visited the thread!   You’re welcome!  Let’s discuss baseball. How much did fans love Juan Gonzalez? A lot, a whole lot, or just a little bit?

He was at the end of his career right as I got back into baseball.  I totally missed him as a Tiger.  I think I should probably cry a little about that, but I am not sure.

26 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

He was at the end of his career right as I got back into baseball.  I totally missed him as a Tiger.  I think I should probably cry a little about that, but I am not sure.

He was back before I renewed my interest in the Tigers on the Internet after living outside the region for 25 years so I missed him too. I think he may have been a very bad man. I believe he once shoplifted a belt in a store and he also took Pepsi‘s from children and refused to give them autographs.  I think he also bet on baseball and is banned from being considered for the Hall of Fame. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

He was back before I renewed my interest in the Tigers on the Internet after living outside the region for 25 years. I think he may have been a very bad man. I believe he once shoplifted a belt in a store and he also took Pepsi‘s from children and refused to give them autographs.  I think he also bet on baseball and is banned from being considered for the Hall of Fame. 

Sounds like a:

04-croc-heels.jpg

Yes, even though he is the Tigers all-time home run champion, he is in actuality a woman’s foot in a strange high heeled clog. Is that a woman’s foot?

In the next couple of hours I am expecting a book that Mickey Lolich and Tom Gage did on the 1968 Tiger’s season to be delivered. Only found out about this book the other day, a 2018 publication. 

‘The Summer of 68’ book was very good when I read it several years ago and I’m sure there will be plenty of overlap but this new book is told from Lolich’s perspective.

• Thanks 1

Should have mentioned the title, ‘Joy in Tigertown.’

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

It looks good. I’ll probably get it thanks for the tip. 

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I might get that book ..or maybe wait for the movie.

8 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It looks good. I’ll probably get it thanks for the tip. 

The most recent review of the book on amazon was done by Bill Emblom, a familiar name. He, like most everyone else, gave it a 5 Star rating. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In the next couple of hours I am expecting a book that Mickey Lolich and Tom Gage did on the 1968 Tiger’s season to be delivered. Only found out about this book the other day, a 2018 publication. 

‘The Summer of 68’ book was very good when I read it several years ago and I’m sure there will be plenty of overlap but this new book is told from Lolich’s perspective.

I read that. Its Good and worth the $ and time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

I read that. Its Good and worth the $ and time. 

Thanks, I really look forward to getting started on it!

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

Yes, even though he is the Tigers all-time home run champion, he is in actuality a woman’s foot in a strange high heeled clog. Is that a woman’s foot?

must be Joy's foot.

If one of you is Tom Gage or Mickey Lolich I forgive you. Walt Whitman anonymously promoted Leaves of Grass too. So there’s an honorable tradition in doing this. 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I have no idea.  I typed in heel and that was one of the first stupid pics to pop up.

In case anyone missed it:

Miss Lulu,' widow of Tigers' broadcaster Ernie Harwell, dies at 99

TONY PAUL | THE DETROIT NEWS | 7:50 pm EST March 2, 2019

icon-sms_24.svg icon-facebook_24.svg icon-twitter_24.svg icon-mail_24.svg

Ernie and Lulu Harwell, through the years
icon-gallery_24.svg
Ernie and Lulu Harwell, through the years

One of the most-repeated lines about Ernie Harwell went something like this: Nobody ever heard anybody say a cross word about him.

That's not exactly true, however.
Lulu and Ernie Harwell in an undated photograph.
Lulu and Ernie Harwell in an undated photograph.
ERNIE HARWELL COLLECTION

There was this one guy. 

"A fraternity brother had taken Miss Lulu to a dance, and the next week, Mrs. Harwell invited Mr. Harwell to a different dance," said Gary Spicer, the couple's longtime friend and attorney, with a laugh. "And 68 years later, they probably had the finest marriage I've ever seen. They were a perfect match."

Lulu Harwell, the widow of the legendary Tigers broadcaster, died at 5 p.m. Friday in Novi, Spicer told The Detroit News on Saturday. She was 99, and had been in failing health for the past six months.

Ernie Harwell died in 2010, from cancer, at the age of 92.

While Ernie Harwell maintained a very public persona, as the voice of the Tigers for 42 seasons, "Miss Lulu," as Ernie lovingly referred to her, kept a more-private profile. But she was Ernie's rock and loyal confidant from that day they met in Georgia years ago.

"It was a magnificent partnership," Spicer said. "It really was. I don't know any other adjective. They were perfect for each other."

They first met when Ernie was studying at Emory University in Atlanta and Lulu was at Brenau University, an all-girls school in nearby Gainesville. She was a popular student, as class president and social director of her sorority, hence that first dance.

Lulu and Ernie were married for 68 years, after meeting when both were in college in Georgia.
Lulu and Ernie were married for 68 years, after meeting when both were in college in Georgia.
DETROIT NEWS

They were married in 1941, before Ernie joined the United States Marine Corps, in which he served for four years. 

From there, his sportscasting career took off, with the Atlanta Crackers (1948) to the Brooklyn Dodgers (1948-49; there, the Harwells became close friends with Jackie and Rachel Robinson); New York Giants (1950-53), Baltimore Orioles (1954-59); and, finally the Detroit Tigers (1960-91; 1993-2002), a hiring made at the recommendation of another Tigers broadcast legend, George Kell.

While Ernie maintained a busy scheduled for decades, Lulu didn't regularly watch or listen to Tigers games, Spicer said — unlike her good friend, Josephine Gehringer, Charlie's widow who watched and listened all the time, up until her death at 100 last July. Lulu kept the home, which included four children, Bill, Gray, Julie and Carolyn. They also had seven grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.

Lulu thoroughly enjoyed gardening, especially roses.

"When Ernie brought home a few seats from Tiger Stadium, those green seats — she was a terrific gardener, and Ernie, he wasn't as good," Spicer said. "Well, when he came back from a road trip, she had painted the green seats black to go with the decor! And Ernie just said to her, like always, 'Wow, the seats look great.' I never heard the two of them, in over 30 years of working with them, have a cross word."

Lulu also was very involved in Ernie's business ventures; her excellent spelling often came in handy. She was a very good judge of character, said Spicer, who only ever heard her say a bad word about two people. He declined to identify those two individuals, other than to say they were connected to Ernie's stunning and wildly unpopular firing as Tigers broadcaster after the 1991 season.

• Like 3

Reading between the lines, which is responsible, the Tigers seem to be looking at Norris in a long relief role to start the regular season. Said manager Ron Gardenhire: “We can use him a lot of different ways.” Said Norris: “I just want to help the team.”

29 minutes ago, kdog said:

Said Norris: “I just want to help the team.”

<Applause>

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Set it to record the biggest loser. Then you are for sure to get tigers games...or at least lions highlights

• Haha 1