Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Weird question of the day: Non-perfect, minimum batters faced?

So here's the question: Has there every been a game where a pitcher threw a complete game and only faced the minimum number of batters, but did NOT get a perfect game?

In other words, the pitcher either walked or allowed hits, but any base runners were erased off the bases (like caught stealing, thrown out trying to stretch a hit into extra bases, double play, or picked off).

My guess is given the huge number of games played that this probably happened at some point, but just curious.

35 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

So here's the question: Has there every been a game where a pitcher threw a complete game and only faced the minimum number of batters, but did NOT get a perfect game?

In other words, the pitcher either walked or allowed hits, but any base runners were erased off the bases (like caught stealing, thrown out trying to stretch a hit into extra bases, double play, or picked off).

My guess is given the huge number of games played that this probably happened at some point, but just curious.

The post at the bottom of this link lists a bunch of them. 

https://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/baseball-almanac-baseball-fever-website/baseball-fever-exclusives/253-almost-perfect-perfect-games

Jack Morris did it for the tigers in 1990. 

• Like 1

This game, for example: https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1990/B08150PHI1990.htm

Top of the 7th: 

GIANTS 7TH: Parker reached on an error by C. Hayes; Anderson grounded into a double play (shortstop to second to first) [Parker out at second]; Clark grounded out (first to pitcher); 0 R, 0 H, 1 E, 0 LOB. Giants 0, Phillies 6.

• Like 1

I remember watching the Odalis Perez game in 2002. I was living in LA at the time and had Perez on my fantasy team, so I was tuned into that particular dodgers game. 

I don't remember the pitcher, but a few years ago a pitcher threw a no hitter where the only baserunner was a walk to Sosa who got picked off. This was when Sosa was a Ranger. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:18 PM, RedRamage said:

On June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth walked the first batter and was removed or thrown out of the game for arguing with the umpire.  Ernie Shore came in in relief, the baserunner was caught stealing, and Shore retired all 26 batters that he faced. 

And the Harvey Haddix 12 innings of perfection, only to loose the game in the 13th inning on a throwing error by Don Hoak and a double from Joe Adcock

Not directly relevant, as it didn't involve a perfect game or a no-hitter or facing the minimum, but the subject of facing the minimum made me think of Red Barrett's famous feat  in which he threw the fewest pitches in a complete game.  In August 1944, he threw a complete-game two-hitter and didn't walk anyone or strike anyone out, and threw just 58 pitches -- an average of just 6.4 pitches per inning.  He won 2-0, and the game took only an hour and 15 minutes to play.  

(Apparently that is still the record for the shortest night game.  The shortest nine-inning Major League game ever was in 1919 -- 51 minutes.)