Sydney_Fife

Game 66: Pistons @ Nets

As a player, you would think you would take this personal and not let it snowball so quick.  Nets are scoring at will.  As bad as the offense is, the defense is the most frustrating.  

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Blake has looked bad on defense today. He just looks like he’s still on the plane. So does the rest of the team, of course, but the star has to lead. 

I second this.  Not necessarily holding him more accountable but he looks especially bad IMO.  

Welp, this one was over from the beginning. They better beat Miami or else just making the playoffs might be tough with that horrendous closing schedule.

The Nets have played the Pistons insanely tough recently. Every game is a battle. Tonight they look rested and fresh. Pistons totally slept walk out there. 

Not surprised at the result. 34-32 now heading to Miami. That game, the Lakers game, the Cavs game, and the Suns games are critical. 

The Pistons are going to need to take a long look in the mirror after this one. Nets came with a playoff level of intensity. Pistons have had the problem of looking lost whenever an athletic team plays up on them and takes away the regular season cushion. That’s what happened tonight. And then there was a layup line on the other end with the Nets scoring at will. 

10 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

The Pistons are going to need to take a long look in the mirror after this one. Nets came with a playoff level of intensity. Pistons have had the problem of looking lost whenever an athletic team plays up on them and takes away the regular season cushion. That’s what happened tonight. And then there was a layup line on the other end with the Nets scoring at will. 

I think there is something to what you are saying.  We have very weak athletes in the backcourt.  But that doesn't explain why Griffin would be careless and have 4 turnovers.  

Disappointed with Kennard the last two games.  I realize I like him more than most and may prove to be wrong but he has been very passive out there and has passed up several open looks from three.  And some of the shots he does take feel forced.  He has to have the mindset that he is going to shoot unless the other team is going to play tight on him.  

its one game.  dont overreact.

rip it up.  forget about it.  move on.

• Thanks 1

It's time to change up the starting lineup to try to avoid these horrible first halfs.  You're not sitting Blake or Drummond and I don't see who is going to replace Ellington that is going to make a difference.  So it is Brown or Reggie, or both.  

2 minutes ago, Hart said:

Disappointed with Kennard the last two games.  I realize I like him more than most and may prove to be wrong but he has been very passive out there and has passed up several open looks from three.  And some of the shots he does take feel forced.  He has to have the mindset that he is going to shoot unless the other team is going to play tight on him.  

It's still a process for him. It's only his 2nd season even though it feels longer so there will be ebbs and flows in his game before he figures it all out.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

The loss is not the issue.  The slow starts are an issue.  Also, if there is a stat on how many uncontested threes teams allow, I would think the Pistons are among the worst. 

were all jocking this team for a month on how well they've done and turned it around.  one bad game and theyre back to being total crap.

its just one game.  

if they crap the bed for three or four games in a row then we can all panic again.

24 minutes ago, Hart said:

I think there is something to what you are saying.  We have very weak athletes in the backcourt.  But that doesn't explain why Griffin would be careless and have 4 turnovers.  

It's hard to post up against athletic teams that can double and recover very quickly. We saw the same thing a few times this year against similarly aggressive teams. We suffer from a plodding half-court offense that's built around two big men and some shooters. Nobody who can really create offense off the dribble. Things get tough when the defense takes away the cushion for your jumpers and you have nobody that can blow by them to make them pay for being aggressive.

22 minutes ago, Hart said:

I didn't see him getting a lot of open looks, which is always going to be a problem for him as a non-athletic shooter. He needs others to create space for him in the offense.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

The Raptors and Warriors are ripe to be picked off in the first round, too, based on their recent games.

Actually, I don't mind this loss so much.  3rd game in 4 days, end of a back-to-back on the road against a team off of a day off.  I don't think the Pistons look physically tired, but maybe they were a bit mentally drained, I don't know.

And a crap sandwich every once in a while despite catching some accolades recently probably isn't the worst thing in the world.  Just a reminder that not everything is solved and that they cannot charge back from any kind of early deficit and they're going to have play 48 minutes.