Sydney_Fife

Game 64: Pistons @ Bulls

8:10 tip. 

Chicago is 8-7 in their last 15. These are not gimme wins by any means. 

Lavine has been playing on another level.  Minnesota has to be kicking themselves for giving up him and Markakken.   

Reggie is scoring but this is not exactly the best version of the Pistons offense.  Not a lot of ball movement right now.  

Stop passing it to Maker.  Very little good is going to come out of that.  

Galloway, Ish, and Kennard in the game together now.  This has been a strong point for us in recent weeks.  

Ish with a couple of buckets, Galloway with a 3, Kennard with a 3...just like that the Pistons regain the lead.  

The Pistons bench had a chance to make some hay and Thon held them back.  Same story every game now.  Also, I hate to rail on the guy so much but he seems to just barely miss a lot of blocks for a guy with his length.  

Turning into a disastrous second quarter. 

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lavine has been playing on another level.  Minnesota has to be kicking themselves for giving up him and Markakken.   

lavine is a selfish one on one scorer.  terrible passer.  turnover machine.  takes terrible shots.  gets lost all the time on defense.

but he can get hot and is such a great athlete he can take almost anyone to the basket.  

he has a very low net rating.  there is a question as to whether he is actually a good player if he's on a good team.  on a bad team where all he has to do is go one on five and not play as a team, he puts up great offensive numbers.

for $23 million a year?  no thanks.

This has to be in the top 3 of our worst defensive performances in a half this season.  The Bulls were basically just dribbling circles around us and getting whatever they wanted.  

Blake is really struggling.  3 turnovers trying to do too much.  

Kennard only played 11 minutes.  Need to get him going.  He needs to be more aggressive.  

if you're serious about being a playoff team, you should clamp down and win this game.

Bruce Brown hurts the entire offense when he refuses to take open shots.  He has to be more confident as a scorer.  

Bulls having a terrible offensive quarter but Pistons still having trouble making progress. 

I have to say...Casey has a tremendous amount of patience with Maker.  I watch two possessions with him and I immediately want to pull him.  

Langston is often frustrating but tonight, I am happy to have a guy who just wants to be a gunner.   Our offensive sets have been horrible tonight so just give me some guys who are not afraid to take some shots.  Kelser saying this is a strong lineup with Ish, Luke, Langston, Blake, and Andre.  I agree.  

Man...Basketball is fun we you have guys who can knock down outside shots.  I respect Bruce Brown and how hard he works on defense but it is just a different game when you have 4 shooters that can spread the court.  We often don't have that when any combination of Brown, Maker, and Drummond are out there together.  

I can't figure out if Drummond has improved his touch around the basket or if he is just on an unusual hot streak right now.  

Feels like we stole this one.  Another win sparked by the guards off the bench.  Smith and Galloway mostly and Kennard to a lesser extent. 

Reggie played a good game but Ish is just more of a spark plug.  At some point, the bench is not going to be able to overcome some of the struggles our starting lineup is having on a consistent basis.  We can probably get away with it on most nights in the regular season, but in the playoffs, the first half means a lot more.  

8 minutes ago, Hart said:

Reggie played a good game but Ish is just more of a spark plug.  At some point, the bench is not going to be able to overcome some of the struggles our starting lineup is having on a consistent basis.  We can probably get away with it on most nights in the regular season, but in the playoffs, the first half means a lot more.  

I keep wondering what this team would look like with an NBA point guard. Ish is a limited guy but is still playing well above Reggie's level even with Reggie playing better than he had earlier in the season.

Reggie/Brown -11

Ish/Gallaway +31

Wow. That’s the second straight game they’ve completely dominated the fourth quarter against an inferior team. 

33-31. Gotta win Sunday and keep building up cushion. 

Stanley update.  1-6 in 14 minutes.  Got some rebounds though!

Baby steps Stanley.

I watched the recording this morning.  I was ready to pull the plug after the first half, but there wasn't much else that I thought would capture my attention at 7am.  It was gratifying to stick with it, even when Griffin had that leg scare.  I know it is difficult at times to read effort, but I do think part of whatever transformation has happened with this team wouldn't occur without consistent and solid effort.

Like Buddha said, if this team is serious about being a playoff team, this was a must win.  For all of the clanking that happened in the first half, it was a playoff team that showed up in the second half.  It might not be enough to surpass Toronto or Milwaukee.  And maybe it only gets them on even keel with an infighting Boston or a not full strength Indiana or an enigmatic Philadelphia.  But it is fun to see them playing well, and if they can at least give a second round opponent some serious fits, hey, that'd be cool to see.

I know nobody wants to see Philly, but I am interested to see how Drummond's new found self would match up with Embiid now.

51 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I know nobody wants to see Philly, but I am interested to see how Drummond's new found self would match up with Embiid now.

Embiid is always going to be a tough match-up for Drummond. I don't think the 'new Drummond' is likely to be any more effective against him. The question is can he accept it and do what he can to keep Embiid occupied so as to facilitate others. Even great players have particular guys they can't do much against - e.g. IIRC, Kareem often struggled against Bob Lanier, but he didn't lose his cool over it.

reggie looked like crap.  ish played well.  drummond played well.  galloway and kennard played well.  i thought brown played well too.

blake looked tired.  i hope sunday is a blowout and they can give him some rest.  god help them if he gets hurt.

that's the bulls for you.  they can score when lavine is going well.  but when the other team turns up the defense, lavine turns the ball over and then takes dumb shots.  dunn is useless.  porter is a good all around player.  markannen is going to be good.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

reggie looked like crap.  ish played well.  drummond played well.  galloway and kennard played well.  i thought brown played well too.

blake looked tired.  i hope sunday is a blowout and they can give him some rest.  god help them if he gets hurt.

that's the bulls for you.  they can score when lavine is going well.  but when the other team turns up the defense, lavine turns the ball over and then takes dumb shots.  dunn is useless.  porter is a good all around player.  markannen is going to be good.

at the horn Blake looked like he took time to give Markannen a little encouragement. Of course easy to be magnanimous after he'd beaten him like a rug several times! xD