Motor City Sonics

2019 Roster Watch: Spring Training

4 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

I am hoping Gardy comes to his senses. What good will it do this club to keep Beckham around? I watched him here in Seattle and he was terrible at the plate. 

Warm Body.      Come on,  does it really matter?    This is the bottom-out year and they know it.  

Mize will likely start the season in Lakeland.

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The Mudhens should be a pretty good team.

Should we become a MudHen board?

12 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Should we become a MudHen board?

Didn't we end up that way last year?

Is it a bad sign when there are, say, 6 guys still competing for the final 3 spots, and you find yourself rooting for all 6 to be cut?

Asking for a friend.

• Like 2

I'm rooting for Beckham...his numbers aren't great, but his sass factor is off the charts.

Beckham is in.   The 12 position players are now set.

2 more pitcher cuts to go.   I am assuming one cut will be Gregory Soto  - which means it's between Buck Farmer and Drew VerHagen.    

That's like a choice between Death by Hanging or Death by Choking. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

which means it's between Buck Farmer and Drew VerHagen.    

Either or these two would have to be waived to send them down wouldn't they? Not that that would be much of an obstacle this time of year. Not many teams with extra open roster spots fishing for marginal pickups right now.

EDIT: Upadate - VerHagen to DL

To me it's like leaving a pair of old tennis shoes on the porch.  Someone might take them...............um,  okay...........whatever.     

Beckham is like a young man’s Aviles.  The potential for him to be the roster villain is considerably impressive.

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who will take JaCoby's spot?    Victor Reyes?   

Maybe Robson but I think they'll check the waiver wire this week. The Yanks just grabbed a CF guy from Colorado to cover Hicks' spot.

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who will take JaCoby's spot?    Victor Reyes?   

It looks like it's going to be Dustin Peterson. 

12 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

It looks like it's going to be Dustin Peterson. 

But Dustin has never played Center, has he?      I think he played 4 games in the minors there a few years ago............

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But Dustin has never played Center, has he?      I think he played 4 games in the minors there a few years ago............

He has not played center, no. Let's hope AA knows this.

46 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mahtook will take over CF with Goodrum backing up. Peterson is just taking the roster spot. 

5 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Goodrum not much of a CF either. They will look outside for a free agent CF. A Peter Bourjos type.

Goodrum is not much of a defender regardless of where you put him. But when you're designated as a "super" sub, you're going to play where they need you. 

I doubt they sign someone outside the organization. Jones us only going to miss a couple of weeks, right?  

Norris seems better served going to AAA and starting in my humble opinion. Rather have Cisnero in the pen. Hardy and Farmer are enough long men.

And if Peterson makes the team maybe he can play some LF and have Stewart DH a bit more until Jones returns to center ? Mahtook and Peterson might equal Stewart and Jones for defense. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Norris seems better served going to AAA and starting in my humble opinion. Rather have Cisnero in the pen. Hardy and Farmer are enough long men.

And if Peterson makes the team maybe he can play some LF and have Stewart DH a bit more until Jones returns to center ? Mahtook and Peterson might equal Stewart and Jones for defense. 

100% agree. Farmer might be on his last stint.

Per Hackosky this is the likely roster for Thursday:

Gardenhire said he expects the roster to be set Monday after the exhibition game. Barring any more mishaps, it could look something like this:

Rotation (in presumed order): Jordan Zimmermann, Matthew Boyd, Spencer Turnbull, Matt Moore, Tyson Ross. Michael Fulmer is on the 60-day IL.

Bullpen: Shane Greene (closer), Joe Jimenez (late inning set-up), Victor Alcantara, Blaine Hardy (LHP), Buck Farmer, Daniel Stumpf (LHP), Daniel Norris (LHP), Reed Garrett (Rule 5). Drew VerHagen (forearm strain) expected to start the season on the injured list.

Catchers: Grayson Greiner, John Hicks.

Infielders: Miguel Cabrera, Josh Harrison, Jordy Mercer, Jeimer Candelario.

Utility: Niko Goodrum, Gordon Beckham.

Outfielders: Christin Stewart, Mikie Mahtook, Nick Castellanos, Dustin Peterson. JaCoby Jones (strained left shoulder) on the injured list.