Motor City Sonics

2019 Roster Watch: Spring Training

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Seems like Beckham is going to make the roster...not sure how I feel about that:

Cannot get too excited or mad or worried about Beckham over Rodriguez, or Rodriguez over Beckham; though w/o Rodriguez, Niko is the back up SS.

32 minutes ago, kdog said:

Seems like Beckham is going to make the roster...not sure how I feel about that:

Maybe we can flip him in July for a low level prospect.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Cannot get too excited or mad or worried about Beckham over Rodriguez, or Rodriguez over Beckham; though w/o Rodriguez, Niko is the back up SS.

And here I thought they cared about good defense this year.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

And here I thought they cared about good defense this year.  

would there be any noticeable impact on the team's defense if Niko plays 200 innings at SS instead of Rodriguez?

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

would there be any noticeable impact on the team's defense if Niko plays 200 innings at SS instead of Rodriguez?

Not really - both bad.  If anyone has to play substantial innings at SS other than the starter this season it should be Castro or Alcantara. Neither Niko or Rodriguez should be there other than maybe a day game after a night game.

31 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Not really - both bad.  If anyone has to play substantial innings at SS other than the starter this season it should be Castro or Alcantara. Neither Niko or Rodriguez should be there other than maybe a day game after a night game.

Beckham is 32 and has only played SS 30 times in the majors, so this would be an old dog learning a new trick. Harold is likely a better fit. But if we're tanking, who cares?

More importantly, if Beckham makes the team, his nickname has to be "Frank". That's a no-brainer.

I recall going to a White Sox game with @Eric Cioe and @The Truman Show years ago when Beckham was a starter for them. We sat next to a young couple with their baby, and they had a tiny Beckham jersey for some reason. The dude complained about how bad Beckham was and said he was going to use the jersey as a diaper. Beckham homered in that game I think, or at least had a big hit, and the guy went nuts and held the jersey up in celebration. He had not yet used it as a diaper. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, Longgone said:

You can't say *** on here?

On 3/15/2019 at 7:43 PM, thefunk said:

Booby, I guess you can’t!

I remember a  TE for U of M. You couldn't say his name either.

Jake BButtt

On 3/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, TigerNation said:

I wouldn't be so sure...

Yoni (@OriginalYoni) Tweeted:
Well this is awkward. 

Blue Jays official account tweets that weather wont stop from them playing. A few hours later, ice falls from CN tower on to Rogers Centre roof, snow pours onto field. Blue Jays delete original tweet and post new one: https://t.co/8HivSSa65U https://twitter.com/OriginalYoni/status/985945253113925635?s=17

Fake news?

7 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Beckham is 32 and has only played SS 30 times in the majors, so this would be an old dog learning a new trick.

Beckham played short today and indeed did commit an error.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:29 PM, chasfh said:

If he’s truly healthy he’s going to be above average, I just neglected to say as much. I think that’s the top end of the range of outcomes, maybe a couple sigmas worth, and while achievable, that top end is probably less likely than several worse outcomes.

The trick is going to be getting healthy, and I think the Tigers will need to put in a lot of time, resources and effort to help him get there. They won’t just say to him, go home and get better and come back when you’re ready. They have an investment in him, so they’ll put significant work into getting him healthy before they decide to cut him loose. 

i think fulmer's finished.

he had a fluke great season where he did well without missing bats.  it was a fluke.  ever since then he's either been hurt or average-at-best.  and now he's having major arm surgery?

yeah, he's done.  move on.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

he had a fluke great season where he did well without missing bats.  it was a fluke.  ever since then he's either been hurt or average-at-best.  and now he's having major arm surgery?

You're probably right, but unless his recovery from TJ is hampered in some significant way, I don't see the Tigers cutting him loose either this season or next. Doing so quickly would suggest the Tigers reject the Sunk Cost Fallacy, and I haven't seen real evidence of that yet (see Martinez, Victor). I would bet they are going to put the work into him until it's way beyond obvious to everybody but them that Michael Fulmer is truly done, which I would guess to be 2021 at the earliest, and more likely 2022.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You're probably right, but unless his recovery from TJ is hampered in some significant way, I don't see the Tigers cutting him loose either this season or next. Doing so quickly would suggest the Tigers reject the Sunk Cost Fallacy, and I haven't seen real evidence of that yet (see Martinez, Victor). I would bet they are going to put the work into him until it's way beyond obvious to everybody but them that Michael Fulmer is truly done, which I would guess to be 2021 at the earliest, and more likely 2022.

Fulmer will be back in time to bolster the staff for the late season push to the '21 Division title.

17 hours ago, Buddha said:

He'll pitch in the majors again, but be average or below average.      

17 hours ago, Buddha said:

The missing bats thing was the reason why I wasn't opposed to trading him a couple years ago.  That and the fact he really didn't have this great pedigree about him. 

I believe the highest he was ever ranked was in the bottom 50 of the top 100 and I think that was only one time.  It wasn't like he was a top pick and perennial top 50 prospect before being called up. 

So, is this the roster? 

Starters
Matthew Boyd
Matt Moore
Tyson Ross
Spencer Turnbull
Jordan Zimmerman

Relievers
Victor Alcantara
Reed Garrett
Shane Greene
Blaine Hardy
Joe Jimenez
Daniel Norris
Daniel Stumpf
Drew VerHagen

Starting Position Players
C - Grayson Greiner
1b - Miguel Cabrera
2b - Josh Harrison
3b - Jeimer Candelario
ss - Jordy Mercer
rf - Nicholas Castellanos
cf - JaCoby Jones
lf - Christin Stewart

Utility 
Gordon Beckham
Niko Goodrum
John Hicks
Mikie Mahtook

Bye Bye Buck?  

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, is this the roster? 

Starters
Matthew Boyd
Matt Moore
Tyson Ross
Spencer Turnbull
Jordan Zimmerman

Relievers
Victor Alcantara
Reed Garrett
Shane Greene
Blaine Hardy
Joe Jimenez
Daniel Norris
Daniel Stumpf
Drew VerHagen

C - Grayson Greiner
1b - Miguel Cabrera
2b - Josh Harrison
3b - Jeimer Candelario
ss - Jordy Mercer
cf - JaCoby Jones
lf - Christin Stewart

Utility 
Gordon Beckham
Niko Goodrum
John Hicks
Mikie Mahtook

Bye Bye Buck?  

If Ver (and the others) are deemed healthy, Buck could end up in Toledo. I don't see a true backup SS in the Utility bunch but Gardy seems to be in love with Frank Beckham, so yeah, you pretty much got it right. It will be great to have Ronnie in Toledo.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So, is this the roster? 

Starters
Matthew Boyd
Matt Moore
Tyson Ross
Spencer Turnbull
Jordan Zimmerman

Relievers
Victor Alcantara
Reed Garrett
Shane Greene
Blaine Hardy
Joe Jimenez
Daniel Norris
Daniel Stumpf
Drew VerHagen

C - Grayson Greiner
1b - Miguel Cabrera
2b - Josh Harrison
3b - Jeimer Candelario
ss - Jordy Mercer
cf - JaCoby Jones
lf - Christin Stewart

Utility 
Gordon Beckham
Niko Goodrum
John Hicks
Mikie Mahtook

Bye Bye Buck?  

I think Norris goes to Toledo and starts. So still room for buck. He’s out of options, too, not that he’s likely to be claimed on waivers or that we would miss him if he’s claimed. But with fulmer our for the year, maintaining some depth would be helpful. 

They should sign Alcides Escobar who just got cut and forget about Beckham. Speed and a true shortstop.

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

If Ver (and the others) are deemed healthy, Buck could end up in Toledo. I don't see a true backup SS in the Utility bunch but Gardy seems to be in love with Frank Beckham, so yeah, you pretty much got it right. It will be great to have Ronnie in Toledo.

The Mudhens should be a pretty good team.

6 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I am hoping Gardy comes to his senses. What good will it do this club to keep Beckham around? I watched him here in Seattle and he was terrible at the plate. 

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think Norris goes to Toledo and starts. So still room for buck. He’s out of options, too, not that he’s likely to be claimed on waivers or that we would miss him if he’s claimed. But with fulmer our for the year, maintaining some depth would be helpful. 

Weird that Turnbull is 6 months older than Fulmer.

3 hours ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Weird that Turnbull is 6 months older than Fulmer.

How old are you, Tim Mitchell?