Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2019 Roster Watch: Spring Training

Recommended Posts

The Tigers play 8 straight games to start the season before having an off day.  That's weird, isn't it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Nothing is your fault ..except they play the Orioles on Monday May 27 ..then have only the next 6 Monday's off before playing the Indians.

You can’t decipher words and numbers, I can’t read a calendar....*** for tat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

The Tigers play 8 straight games to start the season before having an off day.  That's weird, isn't it?  

Yes. If not for the domed start they’d have an off day right after opening day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thefunk said:

You can’t decipher words and numbers, I can’t read a calendar....*** for tat. 

You can't say *** on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Longgone said:

You can't say *** on here?

Booby, I guess you can’t!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny what we think we know, isn’t it? This is probably why eye witnesses are largely dogsh**. 

I just counted up the off days for 2018 and.....same as this year. L. O. L. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

The Tigers play 8 straight games to start the season before having an off day.  That's weird, isn't it?  

And the chance that none of those games are rained out is about 1%. They will get a unscheduled day off somewhere in there. Perhaps more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mike06181 said:

And the chance that none of those games are rained out is about 1%. They will get a unscheduled day off somewhere in there. Perhaps more

The first four will not be rained out. I guarantee it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thefunk said:

The first four will not be rained out. I guarantee it.

I wouldn't be so sure...

Yoni (@OriginalYoni) Tweeted:
Well this is awkward. 

Blue Jays official account tweets that weather wont stop from them playing. A few hours later, ice falls from CN tower on to Rogers Centre roof, snow pours onto field. Blue Jays delete original tweet and post new one: https://t.co/8HivSSa65U https://twitter.com/OriginalYoni/status/985945253113925635?s=17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 2:39 PM, Shelton said:

Well, on the side of optimism, the statcast data is for his poor 2018, so not a surprise that there is a lot of blue. 

I don’t know that “at best” he’s going to be a project if it was due to injuries. I think at best he simply bounces back and doesn’t get injured and has better performance. 

If his poor performance is due to injuries—which I think is a reasonable hypothesis—then I don’t think simply bouncing back injury-free and doing better is in the cards, particularly since he is shut down right now, possibly until after the season starts, for reasons related to his injuries.

I think the top end of his likely range of outcomes is that the Tigers work extensively with him to regain and maintain a level of health sustainable enough to average perhaps 25 starts a year for as long as the team cares to control him. Future shut downs and trips to the IL are baked into that top end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If his poor performance is due to injuries—which I think is a reasonable hypothesis—then I don’t think simply bouncing back injury-free and doing better is in the cards, particularly since he is shut down right now, possibly until after the season starts, for reasons related to his injuries.

I think the top end of his likely range of outcomes is that the Tigers work extensively with him to regain and maintain a level of health sustainable enough to average perhaps 25 starts a year for as long as the team cares to control him. Future shut downs and trips to the IL are baked into that top end.

I was just taking issue with the “at best” language. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Tiger position battles shaping up in CF and backup infielder. Jake Jones is not hitting and could be replaced by Mahtook. They both will make the team so this is not a big deal. It may be a gradual replacement.  In the infield, RonRod IS hitting but not fielding. This position will be our only backup SS, 3B and 2B, so don't be surprised if Harold Castro sticks as the utility guy as he is the better fielder and has been getting some reps in OF as well.

In the pen Coleman may have a chance at Hardy's position as Coleman has pitched well and Hardy got lit this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shelton said:

I was just taking issue with the “at best” language. 

I see. OK.

In absolute terms, at best, Fulmer comes back to a Greg Maddux-level of health, has one of the greatest pitching careers in history, and enters the Hall of Fame as a slam-dunk first ballot choice.

In terms of what I see as the likely range of outcomes, which is how I meant it, at best, Fulmer is a project the Tigers have to put significant work into to get on average 25 starts of above average pitching per season, with maybe an All-Star Game or two sprinkled in there, but also a few trips to the IL, before he moves on to the next team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I see. OK.

In absolute terms, at best, Fulmer comes back to a Greg Maddux-level of health, has one of the greatest pitching careers in history, and enters the Hall of Fame as a slam-dunk first ballot choice.

In terms of what I see as the likely range of outcomes, which is how I meant it, at best, Fulmer is a project the Tigers have to put significant work into to get on average 25 starts of above average pitching per season, with maybe an All-Star Game or two sprinkled in there, but also a few trips to the IL, before he moves on to the next team.

The feels a lot more optimistic than your earlier post, and I don’t disagree. Although I do wonder what you mean by “put [in] significant work.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see two problems Fulmer has to get past. First - he's going to take the brace off and go back to pushing off the leg, so there is a good chance he gets back the velocity well enough, but how long will the knee last? Who knows? Maybe the last surgery left everything just right, maybe it didn't. But even if the knee is good and he get back his 97 with sustainable health, I believe that still leaves him right where he has been since his rookie year, which is a guy whose stuff really doesn't play as well as it should for being able to throw as hard as he did/may again. Or - another sinker pitcher that gets hit harder on successive passes through the orders as guys find his level. Even with 97 he has to fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I see two problems Fulmer has to get past. First - he's going to take the brace off and go back to pushing off the leg, so there is a good chance he gets back the velocity well enough, but how long will the knee last? Who knows? Maybe the last surgery left everything just right, maybe it didn't. But even if the knee is good and he get back his 97 with sustainable health, I believe that still leaves him right where he has been since his rookie year, which is a guy whose stuff really doesn't play as well as it should for being able to throw as hard as he did/may again. Or - another sinker pitcher that gets hit harder on successive passes through the orders as guys find his level. Even with 97 he has to fix that.

Of course this analysis ignores the fact that Mr. Jeremy Bonderman is in camp teaching him a changeup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelton said:

The feels a lot more optimistic than your earlier post, and I don’t disagree. Although I do wonder what you mean by “put [in] significant work.”

If he’s truly healthy he’s going to be above average, I just neglected to say as much. I think that’s the top end of the range of outcomes, maybe a couple sigmas worth, and while achievable, that top end is probably less likely than several worse outcomes.

The trick is going to be getting healthy, and I think the Tigers will need to put in a lot of time, resources and effort to help him get there. They won’t just say to him, go home and get better and come back when you’re ready. They have an investment in him, so they’ll put significant work into getting him healthy before they decide to cut him loose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chasfh said:

They have an investment in him, so they’ll put significant work into getting him healthy before they decide to cut him loose. 

I would not hold my breath waiting for the Tiger staff to get Fulmer 100% healthy.

How often did they keep playing Miggy over the past few years knowing full well that he was playing with different injuries through those years.  And didn't they do the same to Justin Verlander ..in fact ..did not even correctly diagnose his core injury until it almost ruined his career?   

How many other Tigers have suffered through various injuries the past few years that may have either been misdiagnosed or mistreated?  Narrow it down to just core muscle injuries and Tigers might lead all of MLB since 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

I would not hold my breath waiting for the Tiger staff to get Fulmer 100% healthy.

How often did they keep playing Miggy over the past few years knowing full well that he was playing with different injuries through those years.  And didn't they do the same to Justin Verlander ..in fact ..did not even correctly diagnose his core injury until it almost ruined his career?   

How many other Tigers have suffered through various injuries the past few years that may have either been misdiagnosed or mistreated?  Narrow it down to just core muscle injuries and Tigers might lead all of MLB since 2015.

I’m not. The majority of the range of outcomes I foresee has Fulmer scuffling through injuries for the rest of his career, and includes the Fidrych career death spiral.  Getting Fulmer healthy enough for 25 starts a year is at the top end of that range.

The rest of your post is interesting and provocative. I hadn’t thought much about the Tigers’ record of navigating their players through injuries. I’ll have to start paying more attention to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would fulmer stuff translate into being a backend reliever guy? And would that help him stay healthy? In a season or 2 there maybe ne a need to move a starting pitcher or 2 to the pen anyways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not. The majority of the range of outcomes I foresee has Fulmer scuffling through injuries for the rest of his career, and includes the Fidrych career death spiral.  Getting Fulmer healthy enough for 25 starts a year is at the top end of that range.

The rest of your post is interesting and provocative. I hadn’t thought much about the Tigers’ record of navigating their players through injuries. I’ll have to start paying more attention to that.

I'd agree that he's trying to be provocative, the question is whether the speculation is factual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I'd agree that he's trying to be provocative, the question is whether the speculation is factual. 

Sure, it’s speculation and I’m not taking him at his word. On the other hand, that doesn’t mean it’s not true, and he offered up a couple of data points to consider. Either way, I’ve never paid attention to the possibility, and it must be true that some organizations are better or worse than average at marshaling their players through injury. I might ask around the community about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike06181 said:

Would fulmer stuff translate into being a backend reliever guy? And would that help him stay healthy? In a season or 2 there maybe ne a need to move a starting pitcher or 2 to the pen anyways

Effective backend reliever guys tend to be power pitchers who have good movement, location, or other skills that can overpower batters at the moment of truth. Fulmer has speed, but he doesn’t seem to have the other attributes that would make him successful there. That doesn’t mean he could never become that guy, but as currently constructed, it seems like a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dustin Peterson cut.  Not surprised that he's cut, but I kinda thought he'd go right down to the wire.  (Good news, though, for my secret fave, Harold Castro..............there, now I've probably jinxed him).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Beckham is going to make the roster...not sure how I feel about that:

Quote

He talked at the beginning of camp about the possibility of retiring as a player if he didn’t get a big-league job. But, given how impressive he’s played this spring (.314/.429/.429), there’s clearly a lot of productive baseball left in him.

“A lot of people have said to me, ‘You can’t stop playing,’” he said. “It’s like, ‘I don’t know, we’ll see.’ It’s crazy to think I have to make this decision.”

It’s looking more and more like he won’t have to. Manager Ron Gardenhire has talked about wanting more veteran depth up the middle to spell shortstop Jordy Mercer and second baseman Josh Harrison. Niko Goodrum would be the primary backup there, but the Tigers also want to use him in the outfield and at first base.

And Gardenhire hasn’t been shy with his praise for Beckham.

“He’s got that excitement back in his life about baseball,” he said. “He had a good year in Triple-A and he feels good about baseball again. He’s having fun. He doesn’t look like he’s putting pressure on himself to do anything.

“We like him around here. We like him a lot.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...