Motor City Sonics

2019 Roster Watch: Spring Training

42 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Have y’all seen the off days on the schedule? This is gonna be brutal...like an NBA schedule.

off days:
April-4
May- 4
June-5
July- 5
August - 3
Sept - 2

That's not the 2019 Tiger schedule.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's all been downhill in Det sports reporting since we lost Tom Kowalski - RIP Killer. 

I loved Killer, used to drive down to his fundraisers.

1 hour ago, thefunk said:

Have y’all seen the off days on the schedule? This is gonna be brutal...like an NBA schedule.

off days:
April-4
May- 4
June-5
July- 5
August - 3
Sept - 2

What are you talking about - April 4th is Opening Day  (though they shouldn't have a game in these parts until April 10th)  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

What are you talking about - April 4th is Opening Day  (though they shouldn't have a game in these parts until April 10th)  

He’s saying April has four off days, etc.

With Fulmer shutting down, a spot just opened for Norris or Turnbull.

rest up and get healthy, Michael, and we’ll see you next season.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

With Fulmer shutting down, a spot just opened for Norris or Turnbull.

rest up and get healthy, Michael, and we’ll see you next season.

Hopefully he won’t end up with Justin Thompson’s career. 

58 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some theorized that since this team wasn't going to contend they should have traded him at the 2017 deadline.      

Ooops.  

Indeed!

On 3/13/2019 at 7:59 PM, Shelton said:

He’s saying April has four off days, etc.

Thank you for that.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Some theorized that since this team wasn't going to contend they should have traded him at the 2017 deadline.      

Ooops.  

yeah - whether they contend soon or not, not trading Fulmer immediately after the ROY win will go down as one of the great 20/20 Hindsight misses. I'm just not feeling good odds of him dominating in the MLB at this point.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - whether they contend soon or not, not trading Fulmer immediately after the ROY win will go down as one of the great 20/20 Hindsight misses. I'm just not feeling good odds of him dominating in the MLB at this point.

Not ripping them.  I could see the argument in not trading and the argument for trading him too.   Very tough call.   I think they could have gotten 2 starting players for him.  

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not ripping them.  I could see the argument in not trading and the argument for trading him too.   Very tough call.   I think they could have gotten 2 starting players for him.  

for sure  - I didn't like the idea of moving at the time either, but he's turning into a pumpkin on us.

I didn't like the idea of trading him at that time, either, and at least three people agreed with me.

Fulmer used to show flashes of brilliance, but in the end, Statcast got the goods on him: all blue, except velocity. If it's due to injuries, then at best, Fulmer's going to be a project, and the prognosis on projects is generally iffy. I hope he's socking away his money, because there's an increasingly good chance he's gonna need it.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I didn't like the idea of trading him at that time, either, and at least three people agreed with me.

Fulmer used to show flashes of brilliance, but in the end, Statcast got the goods on him: all blue, except velocity. If it's due to injuries, then at best, Fulmer's going to be a project, and the prognosis on projects is generally iffy. I hope he's socking away his money, because there's an increasingly good chance he's gonna need it.

all four of you were wrong.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Projected starters?  See, there's the rub.  All of the wankering that goes on around here whenever Avila does trade someone for fat shortstops that cannot hit, and now we're going to go through a revisionist history and say that, well, yes, of course he should have traded a rookie of the year winner right after he wins the award for two starting players?  Who was offering the starting players?  What do you mean by starting players?

I can see both sides of the argument, and I guess it all depends upon what might have been offered for Fulmer at the time that deals were discussed. 

Wasn't there a hot rumor that the Cubs offered Kyle Schwarber?   A lefty bat that wasn't going to stick behind the plate and had serious questions about playing elsewhere on the diamond?  Sure, let's add another defensive liability to the mix.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Projected starters?  See, there's the rub.  All of the wankering that goes on around here whenever Avila does trade someone for fat shortstops that cannot hit, and now we're going to go through a revisionist history and say that, well, yes, of course he should have traded a rookie of the year winner right after he wins the award for two starting players?  Who was offering the starting players?  What do you mean by starting players?

I can see both sides of the argument, and I guess it all depends upon what might have been offered for Fulmer at the time that deals were discussed. 

Wasn't there a hot rumor that the Cubs offered Kyle Schwarber?   A lefty bat that wasn't going to stick behind the plate and had serious questions about playing elsewhere on the diamond?  Sure, let's add another defensive liability to the mix.

FWIW, Kyle Schwarber was one of the better defensive LFs last year. No range, but a sure glove and a great arm, which makes sense because he came up as a catcher.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

all four of you were wrong.

No doubt. I can't speak for the other three, but reading the future is definitely not a strong suit of mine.

I think Fullmer has had 3 knee surgeries and I do remember reading that he said this last one was way more complicated than it was originally described. Then he is wearing a brace so its probably still an issue. Not sure if there is a more permanent medical fix but maybe that's what's under consideration? 

maybe its time to just ditch the brace and move to the bullpen and try to be wade Davis type reliever ???

Its a real bummer him and Norris looked like two stud starters in the offering...

50 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

I think Fullmer has had 3 knee surgeries and I do remember reading that he said this last one was way more complicated than it was originally described. Then he is wearing a brace so its probably still an issue. Not sure if there is a more permanent medical fix but maybe that's what's under consideration? 

maybe its time to just ditch the brace and move to the bullpen and try to be wade Davis type reliever ???

Its a real bummer him and Norris looked like two stud starters in the offering...

Seems Fulmer's lack of velo would hurt him even more as a reliever, and if he is limited because he can't push off the knee any harder, then working shorter won't help him throw harder. I suppose he could go back to his old delivery on the assumption that fewer IP wouldn't kill the knee again. Seems risky but I guess a lot of guys risk a lot to stay in the majors....

We'd like to believe it's as simple as shooting some film of him in a motion capture suit and finding some hotshot kinesiologist that can run SW analysis of it and tell him exactly how to throw 97 with a different delivery - like to believe it, but don't.

All of the topics at the start of spring were that the brace would help correct his mechanics.

now we hear that brace is gone and he’s wearing one of those soft sleeves. 

Just a guess, but I’m thinking that he wasn’t able to get to the mechanics he needed to throw the way he used to due to the brace interference. It could be that they are just ditching it going back to his old ways and crossing their fingers that he doesn’t get hurt again. 

16 hours ago, chasfh said:

Well, on the side of optimism, the statcast data is for his poor 2018, so not a surprise that there is a lot of blue. 

I don’t know that “at best” he’s going to be a project if it was due to injuries. I think at best he simply bounces back and doesn’t get injured and has better performance. 

On 3/13/2019 at 7:31 PM, Tigrrfan said:

That's not the 2019 Tiger schedule.

Yes it is. Not my fault you can’t read. 

The Tigers do not play on a Monday for EIGHT weeks in a row.  May 27-July 8. 

32 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Yes it is. Not my fault you can’t read. 

Nothing is your fault ..except they play the Orioles on Monday May 27 ..then have only the next 6 Monday's off before playing the Indians.