Motor City Sonics

2019 Roster Watch: Spring Training

12 hours ago, MDMAzing said:

Daz isnt long for the minors.

When Jones has a sub .600 OPS, Cameron will be the starting CF by Memorial Day.

Unless they borrow the Red Wings Ken Holland and his philosophy of needing more seasoning.  Then we'll see Daz in 2025.  

14 hours ago, MDMAzing said:

Daz isnt long for the minors.

When Jones has a sub .600 OPS, Cameron will be the starting CF by Memorial Day.

I'd prioritize Cameron's development over Jones' performance.  If he isn't ready to be promoted by then, let Buck Farmer play CF in Detroit for all I care.  He certainly isn't much of a pitcher.

Niko at SS today again. If they think he can be the back up to Mercer, then Dixon could make the team over RonRod

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I'd prioritize Cameron's development over Jones' performance.  If he isn't ready to be promoted by then, let Buck Farmer play CF in Detroit for all I care.  He certainly isn't much of a pitcher.

Daz will hit and basically force his way onto the team, and when you factor in that Jones is garbage, they should have an easy and obvious decision.

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Niko at SS today again. If they think he can be the back up to Mercer, then Dixon could make the team over RonRod

I still think they view Niko as more of an everyday utility guy (that’s an oxymoron but just go with it), so I think they will still want/need a dedicated backup infielder like Ronrod. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Daz will hit and basically force his way onto the team, and when you factor in that Jones is garbage, they should have an easy and obvious decision.

When/if Daz performs well at Toledo and forces the issue, I don’t think it will also require Jones to be garbage for Daz to get a call-up. There is room for both of them in the same outfield when you consider nick and stew should be playing DH anyway (and we have no true DH at the moment).

That’s assuming everyone is healthy, of course. If there is an injury to an infielder and Niko is pushed into regular time at one of the infield spots, that also opens up a DH/OF spot for “someone,” which could very well be Daz. 

I think if JaCoby is garbage, the first move will be to give mahtook increased time. 

I’m excited to see Daz, but I don’t think the team is any rush to promote him when there is so much fourth/fifth outfielder depth already in the system. 

The 2021 Tigers...........

1b - Isaac Paredes
2b - Kody Clemens
SS - Wenceel Perez
3b - Jeimer Candelario
C - Jake Rogers
RF - Parker Meadows
CF - Daz Cameron
LF - Christin Stewart
DH - Miguel Cabrera

Bench - Willi Castro, Greyson Greiner, Niko Goodrum,  (veteran they sign for OF)

Rotation -  Franklin Perez, Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Beau Burrows, (some veteran lefty they sign)

Bullpen - Zac Houston , Joe Jiminez, Alex Faedo, Kyle Funkhouser,  Sandy Baez, Gregory Soto

.......just dreaming a little while I'm sick at home today. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The 2021 Tigers...........

1b - Isaac Paredes
2b - Kody Clemens
SS - Wenceel Perez
3b - Jeimer Candelario
C - Jake Rogers
RF - Parker Meadows
CF - Daz Cameron
LF - Christin Stewart
DH - Miguel Cabrera

Bench - Willi Castro, Greyson Greiner, Niko Goodrum,  (veteran they sign for OF)

Rotation -  Franklin Perez, Matt Manning, Casey Mize, Beau Burrows, (some veteran lefty they sign)

Bullpen - Zac Houston , Joe Jiminez, Alex Faedo, Kyle Funkhouser,  Sandy Baez, Gregory Soto

.......just dreaming a little while I'm sick at home today. 

Forgot Mike Trout

4 hours ago, thefunk said:

Forgot Mike Trout

Forgot Mookie Betts too.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, RatkoVarda said:

Looks like Farmer has a 4th option year due to injury so unfortunately they can send him to Toledo and not pass him through waivers.

Manipulating Daniel Norris's service time to get another should not be an important goal because he does not look like anyone you want to be paying a 4th year arbitration salary to - but - if they send him down to Toledo to get 100 innings in, and then recall him after the all-start break, they would get one more year of control, through 2022, instead of through 2021.

Farmer has already used 4th option, so he cannot be sent down w/o waivers.

And when Norris throws strikes, he looks good.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Farmer has already used 4th option, so he cannot be sent down w/o waivers.

And when Norris throws strikes, he looks good.

Have to give credit where it is due. Even though hackosky said earlier that farmer had a fourth option, he corrected himself and said that the fourth year option was only applicable last year, but can’t be used this year. 

Technically, he didn’t use up that fourth option, but the fourth option has to be used within a five year period and he has now passed that point.

Fangraphs has joined the rosterbation revolution.

2. Nicholas Castellanos to the Cleveland Indians for Yu Chang, Luis Oviedo, and Bobby Bradley.

The relationship between Castellanos and the Tigers seems to oscillate between the former wanting a trade and both sides wanting to hammer out a contract extension.

Truth is, trading Castellanos always made more sense as the Tigers really aren’t that close to being a competitive team yet, even in the drab AL Central. Castellanos is not a J.D. Martinez-type hitter, and I feel Detroit would be making a mistake if lingering disappointment from a weak return for Martinez were to result in them not getting value for Castellanos. 

While one could envision a future Indian infield where Jose Ramirez ends up back at second, and Chang is at third (or second), I think the need for a hitter, even if the first trade proposed here were to happen, is too great. Oviedo is years away and Cleveland’s window of contention can’t wait to see if Bradley turns things around.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Probably trying to revive the Casty & Zimm for Mookie Betts deal.

looking to move Shane Greene ???

2 hours ago, thefunk said:

Fenech can go kiss a raccoon.

So do you suppose Fenech is actually getting on everyone's nerves in Lakeland, or is that just a pose he is taking? Tell you what, if in person he is anything like his posts, he would get on mine!

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So do you suppose Fenech is actually getting on everyone's nerves in Lakeland, or is that just a pose he is taking? Tell you what, if in person he is anything like his posts, he would get on mine!

A combination of both.

I think he's probably a DB in real life.  He comes off as a grown man who covers the Tigers beat like an apathetic 12 year old who thinks he's really funny.  Sarcastic without being funny, always with a tone that reads like he'd rather be somewhere else.  Have some respect for your job, man.

We lament the state of the Detroit professional sports teams, but I'm not sure anything on the field comes close to the dearth of quality people who cover the professional sports teams.  Fenech and McCosky both make me want to blow my brains out.

1 hour ago, thefunk said:

I think he's probably a DB in real life.  He comes off as a grown man who covers the Tigers beat like an apathetic 12 year old who thinks he's really funny.  Sarcastic without being funny, always with a tone that reads like he'd rather be somewhere else.  Have some respect for your job, man.

We lament the state of the Detroit professional sports teams, but I'm not sure anything on the field comes close to the dearth of quality people who cover the professional sports teams.  Fenech and McCosky both make me want to blow my brains out.

I know I sound like an old man......but certainly a step down from Lowe/Gage.

“What about you, Beck? If you write a **** article you don’t blame John Lowe, do you?”

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

I know I sound like an old man......but certainly a step down from Lowe/Gage.

It's all been downhill in Det sports reporting since we lost Tom Kowalski - RIP Killer. 

25 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's all been downhill in Det sports reporting since we lost Tom Kowalski - RIP Killer. 

There was a brief uptick when we lost drew sharp tho

Have y’all seen the off days on the schedule? This is gonna be brutal...like an NBA schedule.

off days:
April-4
May- 4
June-5
July- 5
August - 3
Sept - 2