lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

On 3/29/2019 at 9:46 PM, drownwithyou said:

The Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi line is pretty fun to watch right now

On 3/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Mantha is a different player with those two.

I guess if there are going to be players who raise the game of the players they play with, there also have to be players who are the ones whose games are raised - ?

Blash needs to keep that line together. Period.

Well, I mean, aside from injuries. They are dominating and I really don't want that line played around with... which coaches tend to do a little too much IMO...

So, two more lines: Keep AA at center, he's thriving there. His two wingers? I think Hirose would work really well with him, but who's his other winger? Rasmussen? Zadina? Vanek? 

Drop Nielson to the 3rd line... I'm thinking Zadina gets his feet wet on the 3rd line until he pushes his way up higher... 

Opinions?

To really get things turned around they need to find themselves a goalie. Seems like forward and defense are shaping up nicely for the future.

15 minutes ago, motown blues said:

To really get things turned around they need to find themselves a goalie. Seems like forward and defense are shaping up nicely for the future.

Goalie will probably come via free agency at some point. Not this summer, maybe the next one or the year after.

Bruins storm back with 3 straight 2nd period goals ... BUT

Early in the 3rd, Mantha completes his 1st NHL hat trick ...

...and seconds later Hirose scores his 1st NHL goal.

2 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Filip Larsson has a viable future in net...?

Maybe, hard to tell yet. 

Goalies are weirdos.

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

... Early in the 3rd, Mantha completes his 1st NHL hat trick ...

That's a gorgeous pass by Bertuzzi...

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Maybe, hard to tell yet. 

Goalies are weirdos.

Yeah... gotcha on that...

Just now, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yeah... gotcha on that...

By the way, Canes fans are quite happy with how Petr Mrazek has played for them this season. Especially since New Year's. For the season, he has played 38 games, has a 2.46 GAA (12th of 56 NHL goalies) and .911 Save % (31st of 56 in NHL).

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

By the way, Canes fans are quite happy with how Petr Mrazek has played for them this season. Especially since New Year's. For the season, he has played 38 games, has a 2.46 GAA (12th of 56 NHL goalies) and .911 Save % (31st of 56 in NHL).

Not dissimilar to his career stats here in Detroit... So why couldn't WE maximize his skills?

PS: That's also not much different than Howard or Bernier... none of them world-beaters at this point; and I don't consider Mrazek a world-beater either. 

That makes all 3 of them place-holders. But I'd rather Mrazek at 27 a place-holder than 35 y.o. Howard or 30 y.o. Bernier...

19 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Not dissimilar to his career stats here in Detroit... So why couldn't WE maximize his skills?

shouldn't a goalie get better results playing in front of any other D than the current Red Wing crew? 

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

shouldn't a goalie get better results playing in front of any other D than the current Red Wing crew? 

I was going to say that, the Canes defense is not bad and the Wings may be the worst in the league.

But in fact Mrazek's GAA is much better than Howard's, as one would expect (Save % is similar), and way better than Bernier in both categories.

6-3 final. Ok, this was a surprise, as I was counting on the Wings losing in regulation to Boston. It does pull the Wings even with woeful Buffalo for 5th worst overall and the Wings have more ROWs. Wings will need to lose the final game of the season, hosting Buffalo.

- Mantha 3G 2A (this year 64GP, 22G 23A  45PTS; last year 80GP, 24G 24A 48PTS)

- Larkin 2A (hits 70 points on season)

- Bertuzzi 3A (9PTS in past 3 games)

- AA 2A

- Hirose 1G (1st NHL goal)

29 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess my point is I would've rather signed Mrazek for another 3-4 years instead of Bernier to lock in a vet placeholder for the team. Howard finishes his career whenever he's ready to... and neither one of them is stopping a top-flight goaltender from taking over the net whenever the Wings are able to get their hands on one. I don't see what Mraz is doing with the Canes as anything better than what he was doing here...

I read or heard an idea about the NBA/NHL changing lottery rules. Teams that start to win after they are eliminated from the playoffs should not be punished for it. The Wings are literally playing all young guys(should have been doing it for years) and giving effort but are unfortunately winning. Meanwhile other teams are fielding noncompetitive rosters.

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

I read or heard an idea about the NBA/NHL changing lottery rules. Teams that start to win after they are eliminated from the playoffs should not be punished for it. The Wings are literally playing all young guys(should have been doing it for years) and giving effort but are unfortunately winning. Meanwhile other teams are fielding noncompetitive rosters.

Maybe the 8th place team in the conference should play a best of 3 against the bottom half team in the conference that has the best record over the final 20 games of the season. Winner takes the 2nd wildcard spot.

17 minutes ago, kdog said:

I have not really thought this through, but could they simply rank teams in the lottery based on points accumulated beginning the day after being eliminated from the playoffs? 

Without looking at realistic numbers, say the worst team in the league is eliminated with 20 games to go. They could then accumulate 15 points for example. 

Then another team is eliminated with 15 games to go, but they continue to play hard and surprisingly get 16 points over those final 15 games. 

A team fighting for the playoffs is eliminated with a couple games to play, and adds 3 points after that. 

It’s a moving target of course, and is relative to the rest of the conference and the records of the playoff contenders, but with the lottery system being relatively flat already, it’s not a huge deal. 

It incentives tanking early in the season, and then flipping a switch once the counter starts. But it would give fans something to root for down the stretch, and it still tends to be weighted toward the worst teams with little benefit to the teams that just miss the playoffs. 

Alternatively, you could just create a lottery order based on when a team is eliminated, and lock that in, with records after that being irrelevant. The first team eliminated gets the best odds, and the last team eliminated gets the worst odds. 

The funny thing is I don't even know as that the Wings are fielding that competitive a roster.

Larkin, Bert, AA and Mantha are just carrying the day right now

I'm dying at the thought of the lineup the Wings are using right now being competitive versus any other roster.  There is something to be said that most of the dead weight isn't on the ice and the young guys are playing really well/are really hungry, but without these wins other franchises may be asking the league to investigate the Wings' injuries because their lineup is UGLY.

15 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Blash needs to keep that line together. Period.

Well, I mean, aside from injuries. They are dominating and I really don't want that line played around with... which coaches tend to do a little too much IMO...

So, two more lines: Keep AA at center, he's thriving there. His two wingers? I think Hirose would work really well with him, but who's his other winger? Rasmussen? Zadina? Vanek? 

Drop Nielson to the 3rd line... I'm thinking Zadina gets his feet wet on the 3rd line until he pushes his way up higher... 

Opinions?

For next year, absolutely they should be our top line.  I'm not sure if Hirose will make the team next season (he should barring a crazy offseason) and I really like the idea of Hirose - AA - Zadina.  Zadina really thrives when playing with high level teammates, and I think AA's speed backing off defenses and Hirose's hockey smarts would do well for him.  Plus I selfishly want him playing top six minutes right away.

I hope they don't re-sign Vanek.  I could see Blash sticking Helm on the second line too.  But who knows, it has been fun with all the kids playing heavy minutes and they've gotten success so maybe Blashill and Holland will run with it.

It would be pretty cool for them to still get a high draft pick that can play part of the season in the NHL... add say a Karlsson or Trouba via signing/trade and sign.... then just run with a young *** lineup and hope that adding a top talent to the backend helps.  I've had a lot of fun watching these last few games so I would be excited to watch even if success isn't guaranteed. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I mean, the D they are running may be, or is, the worst in the league.

Indeed, the number of Bruins on rushes with no-one within 20 feet of them was pretty epic.

But I guess that is the flip side of all that young energy - missed defensive assignments. 

This would be the perfect team for a young Hasek or Fuhr who could stone an above average proportion of those missed assignment breakaways. (....I can dream can't I???)

NJ-NYR were tied late just as we'd want, but NJ scored to break the tie and win in regulation.  Rangers still up 3 on the Wings with 3 to play but an extra point for them would have been nice. NJ just 2 back of the Wings but only have 2 games to play while the Wings still have 3 - Wings need to lose the next 2 games to Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, the Leafs beat NYI 2-1 tonight to clinch a playoff spot with a whopping 3 games to spare.

Not sure how often you guys get to watch HNIC anymore, but Saturday night is Bob Cole's final broadcast. Leafs vs Habs in Montreal.  To give you an idea of how long Cole has been around, he called Paul Henderson's game winner versus Russia in the 1972 Summit Series. But on radio. So just as Ernie Harwell's TV call of Bobby Thomson's HR takes a back seat to Russ Hodges', so does Cole's to Foster Hewitt's famous TV call.

I wonder if on Saturday night Cole will butcher Detroit as Dee-TROY-it one more time.

The following may be my favorite Bob Cole call, especially the final 30 seconds of the game starting at the 1min 15sec mark of the clip.

• Like 1