lordstanley

March 2019 Game Threads

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What if your name is actually Hughes?  

I think it's a Gary Bettman conspiracy to ensure Edmonton gets another #1 overall pick.

I guess we cant get too mad because this competitiveness will serve these young players well in the future, you don't want quitters, but it's frustrating.   

I dont know what's out there Free Agency wise, but a really good puck moving defensman is needed very badly.    All 31 teams are probably saying that.     Dennis Cholowski certainly looks like he could do that well, but he has to be much better in his own end (that's what she said).    He'll get there.      It will be nice to jettison some of the older dead weight.  Thanks Nik, Trevor and, um, Jonathan, but it's time to move on......................

The calamity continues with the Kings losing yesterday to Edmonton. I feel like that scene out of the Simpsons when Homer discovers all of his white shirts have turned pink in the wash and he's sobbing to Marge saying "It's over, it's all over!" :(

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I guess we cant get too mad because this competitiveness will serve these young players well in the future, you don't want quitters, but it's frustrating.   

I dont know what's out there Free Agency wise, but a really good puck moving defensman is needed very badly.    All 31 teams are probably saying that.     Dennis Cholowski certainly looks like he could do that well, but he has to be much better in his own end (that's what she said).    He'll get there.      It will be nice to jettison some of the older dead weight.  Thanks Nik, Trevor and, um, Jonathan, but it's time to move on......................

Byram.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The calamity continues with the Kings losing yesterday to Edmonton. I feel like that scene out of the Simpsons when Homer discovers all of his white shirts have turned pink in the wash and he's sobbing to Marge saying "It's over, it's all over!" :(

The bigger calamity is Jack Hughes' heroin habit. Which I suspect will only get worse after he gets money from his first NHL contract.

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

And they throw him in the mental hospital and when Marge calls Patsy Cline "Crazy" is the hold music..........

• Haha 1

Larkin scores number 30 to most likely put the game away.  ALL THE WINS!

edit: more time left than I thought, Tater might get his wish it is now a 1 goal game

edit 2: bahahah I jinxed them you're welcome, tie game

Bertuzzi one timer from DDK and Hirose to win it in OT I love it.  Second goal on the night for 2zzi, Larkin had 2 as well.  Hirose continues his point streak with 5 in 5 games to start his NHL career.

Wings win in OT. Glad Buffalo got a point though:

- Larkin 2G

- Bertuzzi 2G 1A

- Mantha 3A

- Hirose 1A

• Sad 1

Wings, Tigers and Pistons all win. If the NHL season was 95 games long and the MLB season was 10 games long, I bet all 3 would be playoff teams.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Somewhere Tater is pissed.

He's going to be so pissed, I can see him switching allegiance from the Wings to the Sabres. With 6 straight years of top 8 picks between 2013-2018, including a #1 overall and two #2s overall, the Sabres franchise is living the dream!

The young guys doing all the heavy lifting and they win; I can't complain about that.

Exactly.  They are winning because of the kids.

I don't see how they as an organization can do anything about that.  You can't bench them or give them less playing time.  What message does that send?

Especially if they are doing the things Blashill has asked them to do.  I mean, that is a (if not 'the') basic tenant of the coach / player relationship - the coach can't punish a player for doing the things that have been asked of the player.

The last couple games have been fun to watch, I'm enjoying this and don't care about the percentage points as I follow the Wings for enjoyment.

A Chelios has returned to Detroit:

My only worry is that someone in management thinks they are close because they're winning some close games. They're in the toughest division in hockey with at least 3 great teams at the top. You have to look at the long view.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

My only worry is that someone in management thinks they are close because they're winning some close games. They're in the toughest division in hockey with at least 3 great teams at the top. You have to look at the long view.

Which is why they should want Jack Hughes. They are now down to 4th in the NHL lottery standings and in danger of falling behind the Rangers. If they screw this up in the worst way possible and win out, they have the potential to be down to the 8th draft lottery spot.

Not only that, we are playing ourselves out of contention of getting Kappo too. Having Hughes long-term means far more than a win on an already lost season will ever mean. When Hughes is having a 100 point+ season though, I'm sure will look back on this season and be grateful for these wins down the stretch.

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Somewhere Tater is pissed.

Disgusted more than pissed. I want the best odds possible at getting a generational talent in Hughes. The funny (and sad and frustrating and maddening) thing is, the idiots in charge of this franchise now, Holland and Blashill, won't have to live with the future consequences of their current moves. Holland will be (hopefully) replaced by Yzerman and Blashill will be gone as well. I'd like to think Yzerman would rather have the #1 overall pick to work with, not the #5 or #6 overall pick.

They are literally doing what they should have done years ago. The young players are getting a lot of even strength ice time. If they win a few games without help from the terrible veterans like Abdelkader/Helm/Ericcson, I think that's encouraging and gives them confidence. If a young guy has any kind of injury, I would sit him for tanking purposes. But if they are healthy they should play.

Blashill is doing exactly what he should do.

I don't see how he can be blamed for playing young players or the young players succeeding.

The *whole* reason he was selected as a coach was to develop the young players, part of which involves granting said young players playing time commensurate with their performance and playing the right way.

Now we don't like it because the kids are playing too well and we won't get the best draft odds?  That seems like after the fact second guessing bull**** to me.

The reality is the team has been streaky all season.  They were on a bad cold streak when they reached the depths they reached and now are on a hot streak that probably normalizes their record closer to their true talent level.  Their record is probably what should have been expected.  They aren't the worst team in the league.

• Thanks 1